Cracked Article Takes it too Far

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Psychosomatattack, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychosomatattack

Psychosomatattack Active Member

I'm not going to post the actual article because I think it violates some of the rules here, but have any of you ever read the Suicide Guide? I find it extremely offensive and in terrible taste. Just FYI, it mentions suicide methods, so if any of that is triggering for you don't read it.

I'm aware that Cracked is a humor site, and that some of their pieces can be inappropriate or politically incorrect. I actually like a lot. I guess maybe they think that no subject is taboo, and that's the approach they are taking. But I don't think it's right of them to have this particular article up. The whole piece is filled with sarcasm, basically poking fun at suicidal people and joking that they will be tortured in hell for all eternity according to the Christian religion.

Anyway, if any of you have ever read this article or read it after seeing this post, what do you think? Am I overreacting, being too sensitive? As I was reading it I couldn't help but feel bad, like the author was making fun of me :sad: I mean, I don't think it's funny that I feel so unhappy with my life, but obviously that's no one's problem but my own, so I guess other people can sometimes find it funny or amusing... :sad:
  2. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

I just read that. Disgusting. The author is a worthless contribution to society. I will be making sure many people know to boycott that company (Cracked), their publishers, and anyone who advertises with them. One of their advertisers is "SC JOHNSON, A FAMILY COMPANY." What a crock.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2012
  3. BrinkOfExistence

BrinkOfExistence Well-Known Member

That site also has an article called 8 tiny things that stopped suicide, so it's not all bad is it?
  4. pickwithaustin

One right does not fix a wrong.
  5. BrinkOfExistence

Actually i believe it does, if someone wrongs you then makes it up to you by doing something right, then you forgive them or are you a 'you only get one chance' kind of person. That site is a site of humour and if you're seriously thinking about killing yourself i doubt you would go to a comedy site for advice. TV shows you how to kill people all the time, yet no one has made a thread condemning that.

I think you're slightly overreacting but more importantly you shouldn't of even mentioned what site it is from, i mean why would you do that this is a site full of suicidal people and you give everyone a website which gives you a guide on how to commit suicide.
  6. Psychosomatattack

It doesn't tell you how to commit suicide. It mentions methods and why they WOULDN'T work. If it had something about successfully completing suicide I wouldn't have posted it here at all.

The point isn't that people would be going there for advice, the point is that it's incredibly insulting. And when you Google certain phrases it's the first result that pops up every time, so naturally many suicidal people will end up clicking on it. Just look at the comments on the article.

Obviously you can say whatever you want on the Internet, and if you don't like something you don't have to read it. But I find it sickening they allowed that article to be posted. The only humor surrounding suicide is very dark, morbid humor, as I see it.

7. pickwithaustin

If they removed the original bad article, THAT would be righting their wrong. This is a serious topic and there is no humor about it. Shame on them and their advertisers.
  8. Psychosomatattack

I do apologize, however, if this isn't something I should have posted. I avoided posting the link for a reason, and I mentioned it could be triggering. I figured that was enough of a warning. But if any of the mods want to take it down I understand. I wasn't intending to be harmful, I was just bothered by it and wanted others' opinions.
  9. BrinkOfExistence

I don't agree with anything that author has said i read some of it, skimmed the rest because it got boring and had alot of incorrect facts and i found nothing humourous about it, however i never found it offensive either.
  10. shedhaddock

shedhaddock Banned Member

OMG! I didnt think this would trigger, but it triggered
  11. Psychosomatattack

Can a mod please delete this? Bad idea, and I apologize.

I don't see an edit button to erase the content in the first post.

Now I feel terrible, I didn't mean to... :(

12. 1112222

1112222 Well-Known Member

I've gotta disagree with the OP here.

Now I will admit that the first half of the article sucked but in no way was it trying to take the piss out of suicidal people. The second half however made two valid points, firstly that no method is 100% effective or fool proof and botching an attempt can have serious long lasting consequences. The second is that thinking that your life isn't going to get any better really isn't a good excuse for wanting to kill yourself.

Not to mention the article is almost 5 years old and just about every student magazine in existence has done a Suicide Guide type article.
  13. pickwithaustin

Just because others do wrong does not make it right.
    It is one of the more offensive things I have ever read and I have already asked the literally thousands of people that I communicate suicide prevention with to write letters of boycott to that site's advertisers. The low intelligence level of the words used in that article add to the insult... not even written by a writer with any moral fiber.
  14. Moat

Moat Banned Member

Personally, I do not find any subject "taboo" either; after all, this is the Modern Age, where views and opinions are allowed to be expressed openly without any fear of ridicule. So my thoughts on Cracked is that yes, while I think they do take some topics to the extreme, if I find anything 'offensive' in their postings, then I simply have the capability to hit the 'close' button on my browser and go in search of articles that are more to my own personal tastes. I can hardly fault other people for their own views or humour.
  15. pickwithaustin

Freedom and what is right morally are not always one and the same thing.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2012
  16. 1112222

I really don't see what your trying to get at here as the article in its own way is trying to promote suicide prevention and its seems like a colossal waste of time and resources trying organize some sort boycott due a satire piece that is nearly 5 years old.
  17. Gimiq

Gimiq Well-Known Member

I havent read it im not going to becuase from the sound of it ther is well sick, twisted, or an idiot. Has anyone told them how people on here reacted?
  18. 1112222

No and I really doubt that they are going to care if someone did.
  19. pickwithaustin

Actually, yes they have been told. You're correct though, they themselves won't really care. The only thing that they would care about would be loss of advertising dollars. The organization I'm with, therefore, has promised just under 1000 letters of complaint to the key advertisers found on their website. This information has also been passed on to several national organizations who might possibly then come onboard, who knows? I think a thousand letter will do just fine though. It doesn't matter how old the article is - the fact that it is still available to read makes it current and available. Probably nothing will happen as a result and the article shall remain... but it's a really, really, really safe bet that it will cost them some advertising money. "SC JOHNSON A FAMILY COMPANY" will definitely care about it. So will Ebay, AT&T and Chili's.
  20. spidy

spidy Well-Known Member

I m not going to even bother checking it out
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.