Creating Elaborate Fantasies

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by thingsaregonnachange, Apr 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thingsaregonnachange

thingsaregonnachange Well-Known Member

Anyone else doing this in order to cope?

I've been finding myself living most of the time in extremely elaborate fantasies about a better life and a better world.

While disappointment is part of anyone's life, my life has been far more disappointing than I could have possibly predicted even in the worst case scenario, both personally and professionally.

I know that everyone daydreams but for me this is becoming so ubiquitous it feels like my body and my "real life" is just a vessel for my dreams and thoughts of a better reality.

I find myself "rewriting" my life from around 10 years ago until today.

As a Buddhist follower I know this is extremely self-delusional and ultimately pointless, but I can't help it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2012
  2. Fredericks

Fredericks Well-Known Member

I've inserted myself into other worlds/lives (mostly from books and tv) since I was nine (I'm 24 now). Around age 11, I realized that I couldn't fall asleep if I didn't daydream myself into one of these other lives first. They're pretty escapist: most are sci-fi and aren't even on this planet. I'm usually a tragic hero :)

3. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Yeah, I think of things all the time....sad thing is they are just dreams and won't happen for me. I'm pretty sure I can't achieve any of it. It's not bad though if it makes you feel better. And who knows, maybe someday you can do something you've only dreamed about.

4. thingsaregonnachange

thingsaregonnachange Well-Known Member

I'm even reaching the point in that I'm starting to fantasize about reincarnation and a future life in which I would somehow retain some of the wisdom I've acquired in this one.

I also find myself escaping to my childhood a lot, I wish I could live those distant days when my life wasn't a waking nightmare.

5. Perhapsa3

Perhapsa3 Well-Known Member

What about the future in your fantasies is different from today? I do this sometimes but for different reasons. I try to act in the present how I think we would in a better world to make my thoughts reality.

6. Raven

Raven Guest

A diffrent world and a diffrent place, for me, will never happen but damn what would it be like to leave this world and explore the universe or maybe I am watching to much Dr. who.

7. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I do this a lot, but I've made a career out of it. I write for a living. So I dream up those fantasies and write them down.

you know life is nothing but what we remember, and sometimes I wonder if we choose to remember different or forget then maybe to us personally it didn't happen. I know that I was abused by my dad who denies it completely. To him it never happened...but it did...he remembers memories that NEVER happened...yet he believes them firmly...so...I'm not sure if fantasizing is a delusion of self....often it's what keeps us alive...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.