Creative minds 'mimic schizophrenia'

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Perfect Melancholy, May 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

2. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

Interesting.....I do believe it too....
  3. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

wow that's interesting, I'm very creative and well my mom's schizophrenic so...and well I got a mental illness too...I do see the world differently than others...this is a neat research...
  4. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

That is the thing I was saying to someone on here only the other day, Okay I am trying to fix what is wrong with me etc. BUT I would hate to lose that creative passionate side of me, the side that comes up with all these things and draws, because that is a massive part of me that keeps me going sometimes.
  5. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Irregular thought patterns are creative thought patterns? Will wonders never cease?
  6. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Not to mention how ridiculously easy it is to label someone as being schizophrenic because many of the classifications are so general and vague. And what of the people who are schizophrenic and not what they're calling creative hmm? What constitutes as creative hmm? I think they're creating a causation where there isn't one...
  7. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I agree with some of it, as in- "creativity" ie, lateral thinking is something that should be encouraged, and this is not encouraged by education systems etc.

But "creativity" can be a fashion, to say I AM CREATIVE! A lot of "creative people", who are artists create vapid bullshit, like to think suffering is part of being an artist, and that having serious mental health problems is something to aspire to. I don't think ambition- to want change, and to experiment has to do with being "creative" as such: it's called wanting more , and seeing possibilities. Many "artists" like to sit in one spot and not move, and have very little sight.

I am absolutely TERRIFIED of going manic. My problem is staying on a level ground. I don't want to even start working intensively again, or even READ things (and it's mostly poetry that effects me) in case I get too emotionally effected. It could be because I'm very sensitive to things and tired out full stop...and basically need a break. Insanity? Why is lateral thinking, "dissatisfaction with the present" seen as insane? I think it's perfectly sane.

That and what PB says- the diagnosis of schizophrenia/bipolar and psychosis are all vague and changable. And if you've ever seen someone, or been through severe dissociation/anxiety/catatonia, mania, or terrible depression- that can have a huge effect on basic functioning, nevermind making anything.

Then again, what is creativity? Everyone is creative, everyone is making things without knowing it, you don't need to have a special brain, or have a psych like a "shattered mirror" to experiment, or see "creativity" in rhythm, patterns and in places you'd never dream about. You just have to use your eyes and the senses you have. :smile:
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2010
  8. mike25

mike25 Well-Known Member

Makes sense. It's rather unnerving.
  9. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Bipolar disorder is associated with increased creativity, on a related note.
  10. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

haha-- without even clicking on the link, I can say from experience; yes. I'm sure they do.
    This is not really a ground-breaking discovery... since the beginning to time, the most brilliant and creative people have been called many things and I wouldn't doubt many creative people are or have been mistaken as being schizophrenic.
    The word commonly used instead is: eccentric. yes?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.