CRY FOR ATTENTION

Status
Not open for further replies.

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
some people look down on others that apparently have a cry for attention. we all look for ways to get help in different ways and sometimes we can't always communicate how bad things really are. if we can't ask for support we may do something to get peoples attention so they know we need help. either constant complaining about issues or sh or attempts all should be taken seriously. and most important find a way for these people that are suffering to open up and ask for the support that they need. a lot of people have a hard time asking for help. the other problem is the general population with the unhealthy attitude of it was just a cry for attention. that is so dangerous. people should be taught how serious these issues are and be taught how to deal with it. every cry for attention should be considered a cry for help and support should be given. this is my opinion what's yours...mike

the general population with the unhealthy attitude of it was just a cry for attention
That and accusations of having a "pity party" really irritate me.

There's nothing wrong with wanting, asking for, and getting, some compassion and understanding from others when you're suffering.

I think some people who don't want to show any compassion for others use the "pity party" and "attention-seeking" labels as an excuse for their own heartlessness.

sinking_ship

woman overboard
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
My opinion is that they should receive help and support.

What people need to understand is that whenever someone tries very hard to get "attention", they really need attention and their actions should not be shrugged off like they are some drama queen.
Yes, this exactly. If someone is crying for attention, then clearly something is wrong.

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
the reason I made this thread is because so many lives wasted. if a person makes a couple of non-lethal attempts then some people including health and mental health professionals think it's nothing but a cry for attention and therefore nothing serious. then these people don't get the help that they need. eventually they make a successful attempt and everyone wonders what went wrong. every cry should be taken seriously...mike

Witty_Sarcasm

πŸ¦„πŸ¦œπŸ§πŸŒˆπŸŒπŸ’–
SF Supporter
I agree with what has already been said. You can never know what someone is truly thinking or feeling, so it is better to take someone seriously and help them, than to assume they're full of it and then something bad happens.

Nick

β˜†β˜†Admin-tastic β˜†β˜†
Safety & Support
SF Social Media
SF Artist
SF Supporter
It's impossible to know what's going on inside someone else's head. You might think you know, but do you? I know I am now hesitant to say if I'm not feeling okay. If the assumption will be I'm just seeking attention, than I'd rather just deal with it myself. I know I'm not alone in this thought. I'm not looking for anyone here to say "you can talk here", "you can tell us how you really feel" or "nobody here is going to think that". I'm looking to bring light to the fact that it could be anyone who is struggling at any time.

PS - I'm okay right now, for real. Just thought I'd clarify that.

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
It's impossible to know what's going on inside someone else's head. You might think you know, but do you? I know I am now hesitant to say if I'm not feeling okay. If the assumption will be I'm just seeking attention, than I'd rather just deal with it myself. I know I'm not alone in this thought. I'm not looking for anyone here to say "you can talk here", "you can tell us how you really feel" or "nobody here is going to think that". I'm looking to bring light to the fact that it could be anyone who is struggling at any time.

PS - I'm okay right now, for real. Just thought I'd clarify that.
I never considered that point. I sometimes think the same way, if I complain of my pain and seek support do people think i'm whining and seeking attention. but it keeps people from seeking help. that is a hard mindset to help people overcome. but at least here nobody or almost nobody thinks that way. we would rather people open up so they can get support. but it's hard for some of us. and 1 point I didn't make is there are people just seeking attention but these people need help as well. they may not be in danger of suicide but they still need help and support in my opinion...mike

Innocent Forever

πŸ’πŸ₯œπŸŒ
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I don't think seeking attention is wrong, I think it's human. I think asking for attention is normal and healthy.
There are 2 points. That either a person is in pain and wants support. Or they aren't in pain and want attention. Both are equally necessary and important. The person who wants attention and isn't really in pain, that's harder for people to understand, because often what I think isn't realised is that if they need to make up nonsense to get the attention there's a problem there - an entirely different problem, but something nonetheless, and they need the attention. Or as I once said to someone - 'maybe I'm just making it up and it's not really true, so why would I get help to deal with this if it isn't even true' (that's something I wonder a lot) and she replied that if I'm creating something that doesn't exist that too is an issue that needs support/help.
I think a big problem arises when people dismiss the cry for attention - even if it wouldn't have happened if not for the cry for attention. Like people who self harm for attention, yes there are people who self harm just for the attention, and when it's ignored, it's a risk to the person, for they'll go to further extremes to get what they need. And it's a risk to everyone who is using it to handle, for they won't get the support they need.
Why'm I rambling when you said it all here
every cry for attention should be considered a cry for help and support should be given.

DrownedFishOnFire

Back into the wild where I belong. Out of your way
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Sometimes people HAVE to resort to extreme measures to get what they want in life to save themselves.

Oftentimes being dismissed its nothing stop making a mountain out of a molehill... over and over after being told its nothing etc....

Its sometimes not the attention one is seeking but the help one needs to get the ball rolling. Desperation to live. We all want to live at the last moment when survival mechanism kicks in.

JMG

~ Peace and love to all ~
Hey I just wanted to say thank you for making this thread cos it makes me nuts to even just think of all the times heartless (or just otherwise unaware) people say that kind of thing to people who they perceive as "just trying to get attention" it's such a moronic way to even think of it cos all you have to do is think for 1 bloody second ok so WHY are they "trying to get attention" there is clearly a problem of SOME kind that they are still struggling with and they just don't know how else to get what is something they still need help with. There's times where I feel so desperate to just have someone to talk to (not necessarily always even about problems but sometimes just more light-hearted kinds of things, a friend basically) but my ego gets in my way and says don't be obvious about it or w/e else so a lot of times I am having to fight against that too so it just gets confusing sometimes. I think that is one of the reasons why when someone manages to get past all that mental bs that is going on in their head that maybe it doesn't come out in the most "perfect" or even mature kind of way cos they've had to fight so hard already just to be able to talk about it in any way at all. After going through all that just to be able to talk about it in some way they definitely do not deserve to be dismissed as "attention seeking" and not taken seriously. Hope I haven't just repeated what everyone else already said but if I did then sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00