Curiosity

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Sparrow91, Jul 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sparrow91

Sparrow91 Well-Known Member

I'm curious, does anyone else ever feel like your too old to be dealing with this. I'm in my 20's and sometimes I feel like self harm was something I did in my teens and then should have Gone away, become a thing of the past. Self harm is always what I come back to and it just never completely went away. I think I feel like this because it seems that people say negative things about cutting, for example that teens do it to get attention or "it's stupid" it's a joke to people and they attribute to teens..... It makes me feel worse that I'm still returning to cutting for comfort, I'm ashamed and 'ugh'... It's just a curious question, maybe I'm just crazy, maybe there is someone out there who can answer this for me ...

2. Caminho - lunar

Caminho - lunar Active Member

I think sh is a symptom of an intense pain and so no it doesn´t just go away. I've started in my early teens, still doing and I´m over 40.

3. Sparrow91

Thank you for sharing that with me I truly appreciate your response

4. LaraS

LaraS Member

Hi,

I can relate entirely to this. I'm also in my 20's and I started cutting when I was 15. Back then it had just started being something people became aware of in my country, so they used to associate it with kids wanting to make a fashion statement or something. When I went to college, that image didn't change and comments about cutting were always about teens yearning for attention. I thought for a while that I had gotten over it, but i'm still cutting and it's just gotten more shameful. During all these years I had kept it all a secret, there is only one person who knows about it and he thinks I only did it once. For me it feels like something that is 'mine', so having people define it in such away hurts. I also feel so ashamed to be comforted by something that comforted me in my teens, but I truly think teens are just more careless in hiding it than adults are, which is why people might think it's more common in teens.
    So, you're not crazy:)

5. Sparrow91

Thank you LaraS , it's exactly how I'm feeling, you put it better into words than I could. It does make it feel more shameful, but it'll get better hopefully..
    I knew some people who would cut for its popularity reasons and it made me upset and angry that something so hurtful was a fashion statement, I guess that's were my fears and shame come from.
    I'm glad you responded to this thank you

6. BoomerBumper

BoomerBumper New Member

Hello,

I'm also in my 20's, currently at college. I can certainly tell you that I expected the same thing as I progressed through my teens into adult life, I had thought it would become a thing of my past. But unfortunately, coping mechanisms stick with you for the long run. Much like drinking, or working out, over eating or not eating enough, self harm becomes a way that we deal with pain internally and becomes an outlet for externalizing it. Once you begin down that road it's very hard to get off, like every other coping mechanism out there. That's why, as a teenager, people had probably talked to you about finding positive ways to cope. It's because they stick.

Don't feel ashamed in it, you're certainly not alone. Although I'm not cutting right now, my last time was several months ago. It's something I will return to occasionally in dark times, specifically because it's the only thing that has gotten me through dark times before. It all becomes a pattern.

7. Sparrow91

Yes boomer, it's a pattern over the years I have noticed it but it never really changes even though I'm aware.. Thanks for responding I feel a little better that I'm not that crazy lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.