Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by lost43215, Sep 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lost43215

lost43215 Well-Known Member

I wonder who's most at risk of actually committing suicide? Is it the ones who get so low so fast and do something spontaneous? Is it the ones that carefully plan it out over a long time? Is it the ones who stay quiet and pass without reaching out?

Im guessing some go from doing it spontaniously, but prob pick a bad method or something because of that and end up failing. The ones who plan it prob get so far and then may never end up going through with it, maybe cause of a better understanding that hey, this is the last chance and I'll def be dead. Im guessing the quiet ones, mostly cause they dont realize that they arent the only ones, or cause they havent reached out for the support. I mean, it'd be interesting to find out from a prevention side so that if it's a weak area in terms of support for those people, that there can be more.
  2. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

Not *quite* answering your question but I found this on

3. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

I know it's off topic but, doesnt matter who is most at risk. It is just unbearable to know that there are so many of us suffering the pain of suicide to begin with. Enough that they are able to make catergories, or statistics. But not enough to make the powers that be fund to better educate the public and get the help to those that need it. So sad.
  4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Exactly if they took time to actual help people who are suicidal now instead of all dam statistics.
  5. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

If the stigma could be erased so people weren't afraid to seek help, and if help were given when the problem first surfaces, it may change things. But I guess this is unrealistic.
  6. lost43215

lost43215 Well-Known Member

In a perfect world Im sure that they could help everyone with any suicidal thoughts and how they deal with them. I assume tho that it costs a lot of money to fund these programs and such tho. I mean, even just for phyciatrists it's a ton of money. I live in Canada and under certain conditions they are free, but I think otherwise it would have been like $80 or something. I mean, for them to fund all these fees for everyone would be a huge task. As for education, I mean, that could be free but then how about treatment? I mean, everyone's problems are different and cant be cured by one solution, so again you'd have to prob see someone to get help.

Finally, if the stigma was erased, I think the world would be hugely turned around, at least at first. I mean, imagine if you learned someone u thought was always happy is suffering from depression or something? Or learning that a large percentage of people were actually suicidal? I would think it might make things worse at first cause then others would become sad too at the thought of what kind of world they live in. There would also need to be a lot more professional help in order to accomodate all the people that didnt go for help. I think the whole health care system needs to be upgraded immensely in that area before we would start seeing the stigma go away because how is the current health system supposed to help when it costs so much and there isnt enough doctors for the number of people who are depressed? Education is one thing, but in the end without the doctors to back it up and personize the plan for the individual, it doesnt really help.
  7. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Wow! I didn't think it was that high, one attempt every 4 minutes :eek:hmy: scary..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.