Currently discouraged with the mentalhealth system.

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by sadhart, Nov 8, 2015.

1. sadhart

sadhart Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, because this may sound kind of vague, but last month, I had two discouraging things happen to me involving the mental health system. Right now, I'm at an impasse as to whether or not I even want to deal with therapy or counseling any more because of the let down I feel from it. When I needed the system the most, I just felt like it turned its back on me.

2. True-Lee

True-Lee Well-Known Member

I am sorry sadhart, that is indicative of the "Mental Health System" if you are in the US the term System is not applicable for one, there is none For, 2 none of the Mental Health Practitioners seem to agree even on the terminology they use for people suffering for some of the various conditions, I went to 3 Doctors - Psychiatrists to get a prescription none of then prescribed the same Medication for me using the same Diagnosis, when I questioned why, I was said to be uncooperative and argumentative, how dare i even question what was being prescribed for me! Who, did I think I was to Question them. up until I questioned them I never had any issues with any of my health care, I had one medication that I had been prescribed quite a while back, it was according to 2 others contraindicated for me It caused some weird side effects on me this medication was Trazadone it caused priapism, hallucinations, and tremors on me previously I was also taking Prozac I told this Psych this and he still wanted me to take it for 3 weeks an then come back and report on the Efficacy of it, I walked out on him! I do not know if that validates what you are saying or not but I do not take anything currently for these reasons, there are some good ones out there I know but I am not going to spend all that money on one to find him!

3. sadhart

sadhart Well-Known Member

I don't deal with medication as I had some negative experiences in the past. At the mental health center I go to, I see a psychiatrist every few months and she's nice, but she sounds like a door to door salesperson.

What I'm talking about is the talk therapy side. I had a shitty experience with the mental health center involving a mistake with scheduling. then I tried to talk to a therapist at a church and he abruptly stopped our sessions. It's a bit complicated to explain right now as I don't feel good. I'm sorry, but I will try later.

4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I can relate. I don't know if you saw the thread I made yesterday but I was hyped up at the fact I was offered DBT starting this month. Now they have changed their minds and will be starting it in Feb/March and I might not even get it, they only have 16 places. I feel so let down. Instead they have offered me to see a nurse every week for 45 mins-an hour (I think they are trying to get me prioritized for the DBT) but it's not good enough. I was promised it.

I am sorry they have let you down too, sometimes it feels they are doing us more harm than good but I will stick with what I am doing and see if I get anywhere. I wish you the best of luck too. I wanted to share what happened with me so you know you are not alone in this.