1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Currently discouraged with the mentalhealth system.

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by sadhart, Nov 8, 2015.

1. sadhart

sadhart Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, because this may sound kind of vague, but last month, I had two discouraging things happen to me involving the mental health system. Right now, I'm at an impasse as to whether or not I even want to deal with therapy or counseling any more because of the let down I feel from it. When I needed the system the most, I just felt like it turned its back on me.

2. True-Lee

True-Lee Well-Known Member

I am sorry sadhart, that is indicative of the "Mental Health System" if you are in the US the term System is not applicable for one, there is none For, 2 none of the Mental Health Practitioners seem to agree even on the terminology they use for people suffering for some of the various conditions, I went to 3 Doctors - Psychiatrists to get a prescription none of then prescribed the same Medication for me using the same Diagnosis, when I questioned why, I was said to be uncooperative and argumentative, how dare i even question what was being prescribed for me! Who, did I think I was to Question them. up until I questioned them I never had any issues with any of my health care, I had one medication that I had been prescribed quite a while back, it was according to 2 others contraindicated for me It caused some weird side effects on me this medication was Trazadone it caused priapism, hallucinations, and tremors on me previously I was also taking Prozac I told this Psych this and he still wanted me to take it for 3 weeks an then come back and report on the Efficacy of it, I walked out on him! I do not know if that validates what you are saying or not but I do not take anything currently for these reasons, there are some good ones out there I know but I am not going to spend all that money on one to find him!

3. sadhart

sadhart Well-Known Member

I don't deal with medication as I had some negative experiences in the past. At the mental health center I go to, I see a psychiatrist every few months and she's nice, but she sounds like a door to door salesperson.

What I'm talking about is the talk therapy side. I had a shitty experience with the mental health center involving a mistake with scheduling. then I tried to talk to a therapist at a church and he abruptly stopped our sessions. It's a bit complicated to explain right now as I don't feel good. I'm sorry, but I will try later.

4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

I can relate. I don't know if you saw the thread I made yesterday but I was hyped up at the fact I was offered DBT starting this month. Now they have changed their minds and will be starting it in Feb/March and I might not even get it, they only have 16 places. I feel so let down. Instead they have offered me to see a nurse every week for 45 mins-an hour (I think they are trying to get me prioritized for the DBT) but it's not good enough. I was promised it.

I am sorry they have let you down too, sometimes it feels they are doing us more harm than good but I will stick with what I am doing and see if I get anywhere. I wish you the best of luck too. I wanted to share what happened with me so you know you are not alone in this.