cut without feelings

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Hom.Sha.Bom, Nov 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hom.Sha.Bom

Hom.Sha.Bom Member

Awhile ago I felt really down and saw a knife laying on the desk beside me, I picked it up and pressed it to my wrist and starting bleeding, I felt nothing. Cutting myself went on for a few weeks to maybe a month. Then I starting thinking about what I was doing, asking myself why I was doing it, and what got to me most was that I didn't feel something that should be very painful. It's healed now, and I haven't cut my self since.
  2. consciousinsane

consciousinsane Well-Known Member

I'm really glad to hear you have been able to stop cutting. I wish I could. My personal theory to why we don't feel pain when we cut is because our mind is operating as if we are going thru a traumatic event. When trauma happens your mind shuts down certain parts of itself. This enables us to get thru the event. Our brain considers severe depression traumatic, and therefore shuts down the pain sensors in our body. I have no proof of this, but it's what I think.
  3. Always Alone

Always Alone Guest

Good job with quitting, I hope you never need to go back it.

Nice theory on why we feel nothing, It makes sense. Once after burning I was getting something out of the oven, and caught me hand, and it really hurt. And that made me feel really weird, cos I’d just done the same thing on purpose, and it had helped not hurt.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.