Cuts cover-up, can I get away with this?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Woodsmoke, Oct 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woodsmoke

Woodsmoke Well-Known Member

I have to go speak to a job agency today and have no long sleeved shirts- also I cut the tops of my hand this week. They've healed but the scars are more vivid than I thought they'd be.

I bought a tube-bandage, the type you use for sprains & muscle/joint strain. I was just going to tell them my dog just jumped up a little too fast for me and hurt it...

Not exactly a lie, since he does that frequently.

But if I get a job this week by this meeting I can't just go and say that "it still hurts, it still hurts!" If they find out it will severely damage my chances of getting & keeping that job. I hadn't known about the meeting until two days after I cut...

Hell. Makeup just isn't covering it up. What can I do? I am banging my wrist against things just to try and make the pain real so I WONT be lying...

This week has been so messed up.
  2. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

Hey Woodsmoke,

The bandage is a really good idea. Unless they ask I wouldn't mention it; they'll just assume you've hurt your wrist, but if you deliberately mention it, it might seem a bit odd (like you're trying to cover something up, lol). If they do ask, I'd tell them that you've badly sprained your wrist (maybe your dog jumped up and knocked you over?), because that can take months to heal properly, which will give you an excuse to wear the bandage for weeks.

I hope it all goes well today. Good luck.

3. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Just make sure they know you can do the job...hope everything worked out well...J
  4. non-existent

non-existent Active Member

I think wearing the bandage and not mentioning is a good idea....

Do you have no long-sleeves clothes? As Hampshire is not such a tropical area, why don't you have even one long thing? No pullover for winter? I don't know why this is the case, but I'm sure something can be done about that.
  5. Woodsmoke

thanks for the replies... I wore the bandage & they never mentioned it...

But I couldn't get interview because of a broken work history. How do you explain over six years of panics, depression, self injury & out-and-out fear of talking to people and going out without sounding like a whinger to them?

I have a constant thought re: My life right now. "There's always suicide." How low do you have to be to think this constantly...? I haven't been this close in YEARS.

I have coats & things, but no interview-style long sleeved shirts... I just don't have the money to get them. :(
  6. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

I'm glad the bandage worked, but I'm sorry you didn't get the interview. A broken work history is very difficult to recover from, but not impossible. You just need to convince employers that you are reliable.

I have a couple of periods where I was unemployed, and because it was by my own choice, it's been hard to explain to new employers, but the trick is to assure them that you really want the job and therefore wouldn't do anything to sacrifice it.

Like you, suicide is constantly in my thoughts at the moment, and is definitely my fall-back (to the point where it's known as 'Plan B' between myself and the one friend who knows). The answer to your question is very low. This is the point at which you should be seeking help. Talk to people, let them know what's going on. You shouldn't have to face this alone.

7. alison

alison Well-Known Member

Depression is a medical condition. I think you have every right to say that you had a medical condition that has influenced your ability to work.

I'm not sure exactly how that works, but I'm out of grad school right now because of psych reasons, but it counts as a medical leave. It's nice because I'm applying for jobs and different labs to work my thesis in when I get back, and I'm able to tell people that I'm on medical leave right now.
  8. Woodsmoke

the problem is that even though I've been given Prozac recently & been sent for counselling, my old doctor never officially diagnosed me with depression- he barely did anything. My new one is much more proactive and helpful. Her major is in psychology even though she's a General Practitioner, so I guess she understands more and has real sympathy/knowledge of depression.

It just seems that I cannot explain to employers the issues I've had without them thinking I've been making excuses for laziness, despite the fact that I was searching for jobs but just failed because of confidence issues & lack of experience...

I found my old doctor useless, so I never asked for diagnosis. I don't know if I can get away with calling it Medicial Problems because of this... has anyone else done this?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.