Cuts that still itch after they have healed

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by TaraJo, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TaraJo

TaraJo Banned Member

So, it's been nearly three months since I cut myself at all. That's a big deal for me.

The last time I cut was November 11. However, when I cut myself that time, it was really deep. I mean, I was able to see the fatty tissue under the skin. I got stitches put in and it's healed.... mostly. The only problem, really, is that the scar still itches. Does anyone know why or what I can do about it?

2. I find this happens when the wounds are healing and the 'raw' look starts to heal, which mine are itchy right now too. :p

I'm not sure exactlywhy they do this, but I would assume it has something to do with the formation of scar tissue, which is what mine are doing atm and is completely normal.

Is this what is happening now with your wound/s?

3. cookiemonster

cookiemonster Banned Member

this happened with one of my burns and it itched for years... not much you can do really. it probably still itches but i'm so used to it now

4. Darc

Darc Well-Known Member

I'm curious as to why that is, too...
    My deepest cut is more than a year ago now, and it still itches and even really hurts sometimes...
    There's no way mine's still healing :p

5. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

I have a nerve damage in my arm that keeps itching after 3 years, it's annoying

6. TaraJo

TaraJo Banned Member

My therapist thinks it's just deep tissue damage that hasn't totally healed yet. Whatever it is, it's frustrating. I haven't cut myself in over three months (which is a pretty damn big accomplishment for me) but I still have to deal with this.

Maybe I shouldn't be too surprised; I cut pretty deep that time. Split the skin wide open enough that I could see the fatty tissue underneath. I had to get eight stitches. Meh; there was good to it, I guess. That was the incident that led me to finally start seeing a therapist and deal with bpd (yes, I'm a borderline girl).

7. iceblink

iceblink Member

Most of my scars are really itchy, they have been years. Sometimes I get random pains too. I think the nerves get confused when they grow in scar tissue, it probably will go away eventually.

8. grinded serenity

grinded serenity Well-Known Member

I get this, too. Where the scars are deep, enough to see flesh/fatty tissue. Itches for a bit, then goes away. Pretty sure its a brushed nerve.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.