Cutting benefits for Alcoholic's (UK)

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Crue-K, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

It has just been proposed by James Purnell (wanker) who is the work and pensions minister that the Government are looking at the idea of cutting benefits to out of work alcoholics!!!!!!!

This proposal follows on from legislation currently going through to penalise drug addicts in the same way. Drug addicts can be largely dependant on crime to sustain a habit and this legislation is surely going to make it worse.

If an alcoholic who is on jobseekers allowance wants to keep his benefit, he/she has to prove that their alcoholism isn't a factor in them getting a job and also they HAVE TO seek help to ensure their benefit isn't cut.

Not only have our civil liberties and privacy been eroded by this governement, but now there is an intensified penalising of vulnerable people which include addicts, mental health users and single mothers.

is their anyone on this forum actually agree with these reforms?
  2. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

i actually do agree with them, from the perspective of looking at my mother, who is dependant on alcohol.
    i dont see whats wrong with saying they have to get help, if anything thats a good thig as it will get people off the alcohol.

but i do see you point in regards to crime and substance abuse..

but i dont think addicts of any type should be given lenient rules to follow.
  3. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

You're quite right. I think my biggest bug bearer is our governement have a habit of targeting vulnerable people with a view of ticking the box on election promises. Also it goes someway to appease the same middle classes (daily mail readers).
  4. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

ok, i can see that, but the sad thing is, that most arent "vulnerable" and spend their days drunk in stoops.
    and i dont mean that by a generic sweeping statement, thats from experience.
    so i think they ar right in doing it.
  5. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

Perhaps it will be an incentive for some. But some people are too far gone to ever really benefit from the 'help' on offer. I should know... my father was one of them. All this will mean is that people will become more vulnerable (homeless etc) and more liable to turn to alcohol. And it assumes that there are enough resources out there to help people who are alcoholics (rehab etc). I hate this government. What's next? Penalising OAP's for getting older??
  6. TheWr0ngChild

TheWr0ngChild Well-Known Member

I have a so called 'over the counter' addiction to codeine which is not recognise by ANY major addiction treatment program or doctor. Common consensus is that if you can buy it over the counter then it can't possibly be addictive or dangerous. Well I assure you thats WRONG. Codeine & Ibuprofen pills freely available over the counter have ruined my life. I'm addicted to about 10 a day.

I also claim incapacity & DLA as I am diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome, but I spose because my addiction is not a recognised one I will not be pestered with any 'help' until I land up in hospital with internal bleeding or something.

Right now though I couldn't give a fuck. Anyone who tells me to stop taking it better have a cure for the underlying cause (weird & very painful gynecological problems), support for me to carry out daily living tasks whilst in imense pain and a good substitute drug to do exactly what the codiene pills do for me. Otherwise you can shove it up your Jacksie.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.