Cutting ignorance out of your life.

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by feathers, Mar 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. feathers

feathers Well-Known Member

I have recently become very oversensitive to people mocking or generally expressing ignorance. I had an argument the other week, me and a friend vs. the rest of the class pretty much, who all thought that it was possible to cure people of schizophrenia by 'tricking them' into believing they don't have hallucinations aka. placebo effect.

Ignorance about mental illness really rubs me the wrong way these days. I just corrected a friend on Facebook when he said that schizophrenia was multiple personalities, and he ended up making a whole host of other hurtful and ignorant comments. I blocked him, on both Facebook and MSN. This is most likely extreme behaviour due to borderline and the fact I can hate someone so very quickly and easily, but I'm doing this a lot lately.

Am I right to do it? I do try to correct the ignorance at first by educating them of the truth of mental illness, but when they refuse to listen and continue to make hurtful comments, am I right to cut them out?

I get a feeling I'll have no friends left soon.

K x
  2. black_rose_99

black_rose_99 Well-Known Member

I don't know if you're right to cut them out. But I do know you're not alone - I'm doing the same. I can hate in an instant and have been known to block and delete people for comments that most people would say were nothing to get upset over. Right now I'm in tears and ready to never speak to someone again over something silly. I don't know what the answer is.

Like you too though, people's ignorance of mental health rubs me the wrong way. People make flippant comments, or spout off at the mouth without knowing anything about it.

I'm sorry I can't help with any answers. Just wanted to let you know I heard you.

3. feathers

feathers Well-Known Member

Thanks dude. I literally just have such a short temper that I can not just sit by and watch ignorance happen when it comes to stuff like this.
  4. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

If you want to escape ignorance about mental illness, you need to move to Antarctica. The places without research stations. Same with any other kind of ignorance.

Cutting it out of your life is a noble, but unrealistic, goal.
  5. sunshinesblack

sunshinesblack Well-Known Member

I think u just need to change friends imho (wich is quite the life goal, to advance socially ), most people r ignorant that does not mean some groups cant be intelligent and open minded, but intelligent and open minded will never apply to a population
    The short temper makes sense to me but i think u r batter off moking theyr idiocy than trying to change theyr mind of a subject sensitive to you and out of theyr sight ...if they r that stupid
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.