Cutting is wrong, Tattoos aren't

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Hurted, Jan 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Don't you think that it's ironic that someone with tattoos dare to say that cutting is stupid?:biggrin:

I mean, both is damaging our body.

Why is nothing wrong with smoking, so many people smoke! What's the difference? Smoking is more dangerous than self injury!

I don't get it anymore, i am really confused:huh:

2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

It's not wrong. People just don't understand.

Even though behaviours like smoking and getting tatoos are not considered wrong, I guess it depends on the purpose. If you're doing it intentionally to harm yourself, then that should be a red flag that there's a problem. If you're cutting, generally that should be a sign that something's not right. Even though I would never consider the act itself wrong, just maybe something you would might want to change for your own benefit, like the smoker might want to stop smoking because it's harming his lungs.

:hug:

3. Rosenrot

Rosenrot Forum Buddy

Cutting is done with the intent to cause harm to yourself. Tattooes are a form of art, and aren't done as a means of hurting yourself. They're 2 different things entirely..

Basically what ^ said.

4. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

I agree with that.

But my point was, that people often find cutting wrong and shocking, but they don't see anything wrong with tattooes.

If i would have a tattoo, my friends would love it. If i would show them a scar and said that i draw a star on my hand, they would call me an idiot, emo etc...

:hug: back :)

5. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

If tattooes are art, then cutting is too...

I agree that intent is different, but what if someone cuts just because he/she like it?

6. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Cutting yourself and self harm aren't identical ideas.

If you're tatooing to hurt yourself, it's self harm.

If you're cutting to decorate yourself, it's not.

7. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

What it is then? It is injury and since you are injuring yourself, it's self injury.

8. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

What on earth does that mean? "It is injury"? What does that refer to?

And, no, a flesh wound is not "harm". There is a deep psychological aspect to self-harm that is NOT present in decoration via cutting, nor masochism.

I'm a terrible masochist, but I still hate it when I cut myself for relief...

9. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

I am saying that it's still self injury. It can't be called something else, since you are injuring yourself.
    However, i realize that cutting because of relief and because of "liking it" is not the same.

10. SweetSurrender

SweetSurrender Well-Known Member

Hurted i think what you are referring to when you talk about cutting is scarification not self harm. I think that is where the confusion lies. Scarification is when a person cuts themselves in a decorative way for different reasons. I wouldn't find someone with a tattoo saying cutting is stupid ironic at all to be honest because i'm guessing that in their cultural background it is not a socially acceptable thing to do hence why they say it is emo or whatever. However, that is how that person views scarification - not all people. For many people in different cultures it is not stupid at all, it is often a rite of passage or an art form. It is impossible to categorize things as succinctly as you want, we have to be aware of everyone's different backgrounds etc. It is all about be culturally acceptable and that is something that changes during the years for many different reasons. If you think about it in the UK where we now have the smoking ban, it is now a lot more socially unacceptable to smoke than it was 50yrs ago. There are a lot of factors involved, it is confusing because of this. You have to understand why the person is saying it is stupid before it becomes ironic.

11. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

I didn't meant scarification.
    My writing was probally confused.

What i wanted to say, how people look on those things.

If i would cut myself on arm, no mather for which reason majority of people would call me crazy (at least in europe)

If i would have tattoo, they would not mind.

If you cut yourself just because you like scars, there is no difference with tattos. Yet majority of people would find first case wrong, and second not.

Hope that i was more clear now:)

Ps: In my country, there is no other word for cutting yourself. So if you cut yourself, no mather why, it's called self injury.

PS2: Hope that you don't get me wrong, i do not cut because of decoration, i actually hate scars.

12. Rachel123

Rachel123 Well-Known Member

I have 21 Piercings and I get them because I like the pain.
    I think it depends on what the intent in when someone gets a tattoo...If they're doing it for the pain then yes, I would say it's self harm, if not ...Just art.
    I also have tattoos....I got them well before I was self harming though.

13. Epical Taylz

Epical Taylz Well-Known Member

That's how I am sometimes. Mostly, it's because I love how it looks. I think it looks pretty, like an untold story that only I know

Another thing that I don't get. If you purely like cutting because you like the scars, then why is it wrong? I mean, I do that and so does my friend Christina (she's been planning on making hers into tattoos, but that's beside the point).

In America, or at least Michigan, if you do anything to intentionally hurt yourself then you're called crazy. What if you got a tattoo for that same reason?

Also, someone said that tattoos are a form of art.
    When i cut, i make it into a letter or a symbol of some sort.
    do you mean to tell me that when i do that, it's not considered art?:mad:
    that's like calling...like calling Beethoven talentless:eek:hmy:

14. Panos

Panos Well-Known Member

i pierced my ears with needle and ice blocks for earrings but i dont cut..
    did it my way,liked it, for me and not because i like to self harm or to say that i did it. now if someone knows that i did that and thinks its terrible i dont care cause i only did it for me and not for saying i did it.
    may sound selfish but things i do on me i do them for me.

15. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

I didnt say that its wrong. I said that majority of people think that its wrong.

Doing it just because of scars, blood or pain is not so rare, althought majority of these people started because of relief.

16. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

i have over 24hours of tattooing done and when i wasnt so scared of public things i was training to be a tattoo artist.

i cut.

i just see cutting as a non artistic form, tho i have started to doing basic pics recently. but thats more scarification. not tattooing.

and for the record. tattooing is LESS painful than cutting.

and also ALOT of people dont understand cutting anyway.

17. Epical Taylz

i dont think that tattooing is less painful :huh:
    i had one before.. it stings after but not during

cuts are just irritating.

but i agree, people dont understand cutting unless theyve done it more than two times. some of my friends have cut and they say that its so easy to stop, i dont think that they really got into needing it like other people

18. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

It's easy to stop only if you are not depressed and don't have a reason for it.

19. Epical Taylz

very true, however, it can still get addicting.
    but i dont know :huh:

20. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

well for me, with the work i have, i couldnt have had a more relaxing time. it was blissful sitting in the chair getting them done.

cutting is more emotional, and for me, about control over hurting physically cause i cant stop teh emotional hurt i suppose.

but if i had the choice of cutting or getting a tattoo. i would pick getting a tattoo anyday. cause its releasing my pain and i have something gorgeous and something to be proud of at the end of it.

just my opinon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.