Cutting Stigma

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by xan, Jul 22, 2009.

Do you think it's seen as worse?

1. Yes

36 vote(s)
  2. No

3 vote(s)
  3. Don't know/Maybe/Other

4 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xan

xan Chat Buddy

Do you think that society looks upon cutting yourself more seriously than other forms of self harm? I mean, if someone had obvious cuts or said that they were cutting themself people see it as 'real' self harm. While just punching walls, yourself and other forms of self harm are just looked at as not so serious, or anger management issues?
  2. mandyj101

mandyj101 Well-Known Member

hmm im not sure.. there r so many forms of self harm.. iv tried alot of them.. i think overdosing is seen as more destructive than cutting.. but i dont know..
    i dont think it matters :unsure:
  3. mandyj101

mandyj101 Well-Known Member

what i meant was any form of self harm is serious..
  4. ashes_away

ashes_away Well-Known Member

i totally agree.There are so many ways to self harm and all are equally destructive.As far as society is concerned,what is more visible tends to get more attention.Sadly.But there is SO much help and support out there if we would only sek it least get to the point where we feel we can reach out.If you are crying out for help,this is a good place to start but also seek out the resources for support.I think self harm is hitting rock bottom.It is time to be drastic and take a leap of faith and let someone know.
  5. Dinosaur

Dinosaur Active Member

accidently voted no...but i meant to say yes

people DO seem to see cutting as a trademark for selfharm...if you tell someone you've been burning yourself or something, they're more likely to think "weeeiiiiiiiird." or "insane pyro" instead of thinking it's a form of self harm...
  6. Epical Taylz

Epical Taylz Well-Known Member

i think that people make it worse than it is.
    it's like the whole::

i say depressed, you say cutting
    i say suicidal, you say cutting
    i say black, you say cutting.

like everything "emo" leads to cutting.

there are much worse things, like overdosing or pillpopping then drinking or even breaking your own limbs.
    i remember my two friends and i were having a huge talk about what we use to do, and i told them that i cut and they made a huge deal out of it, but when my friend told us that she OD'd before, my other friend didn't see it as that big of a deal.
  7. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I agree, whenever someone is cutting or burning that is more highly focused on.
    As soon as I started cutting people took note and realised I was self harming, but when I used to go out with my friends and drink until I passed out or start unreasonable fights they all thought I was just 'having a good time'.
  8. triggs

triggs Account Closed

i think society sees cutting as the worser form of self harm - but self-harmers, whatever they do, generally think everything the same, just some work better for different people..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.