Cutting to Relieve Pain

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Technologic_Dreams, Jan 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was just wondering is I had a problem.
    I don't cut because I'm depressed or anything.
    I just cut because I had a knee replacement surgery about 8 months ago but it got fucked up, so I'm always in pain.
    Pain pills don't help anymore, so I cut.
    When I cut, I always feel really good afterwards because of the endorphins.
    I was wondering if this is a bad thing.

2. Stray Kitten

Stray Kitten Active Member

I think most people would say that cutting is, in general, never good. I'd disagree, on a personal level, providing you can be sensible, safe about it and employ self-control.

However, it's probably not a viable long-term solution for long-term pain. I won't condemn you for using it in the mean time to try and relieve the pain, but you should certainly speak to your doctor and explain, and try different pain medication or corrective surgery.

3. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

Cutting is a bad idea, full stop. At first... you always think that you'll stay in control, that you'll never get that deep, never need stitches etc etc.... but then it just gets gradually worse and worse... you cut more often and the cuts you make are deeper/worse. Then you go out of control. And thats just plain scary. Its a temporary band aid solution that damages more than anything.

Endorphins make you feel good... but then you need it more and more and so you cut more and more... its just keeps circling round and round. Its not a good cycle to be stuck in...

Maybe go and explain to your doctor.... they'll be able to do something I'm sure. Take care of yourself and stay safe.

TDM

4. He's trying to find me some kind of painkiller that will work for me.
    I know that cutting is not good at all, but until I get the medicine that I need, I have no other way to get rid of the pain.

5. Come What(Ever) May

Come What(Ever) May Well-Known Member

Maybe try getting approved for medical marijuana? Couldnt hurt to try lol.

6. Never thought of that, isn't there an age thing though?

7. scared_child

scared_child Account Closed

i love you! don't do that to yourself...it makes me sad...

8. I'm sorry Sandy, I'll try harder not to.
    I'll just stick to my "Stuffs" then.

9. floss

floss Member

hey!
    i know it's been ages since you post, but i wanted to say something about the whole cutting yourself. it's a great way (for me) to bring all that pain and 'bloodshed' tp the surface, i know that when i cut myself it feels like some of the pian and suffering is realeased with everycut...sorry just needed to say that
    floss
    -x

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.