Cutting was brought up in class today

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Sparrow91, Oct 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sparrow91

Sparrow91 Well-Known Member

In class today a woman asked the professor if people self injure and cut because of the feeling of the endorphins (it's a psychopharmacology class)
    My mind was racing, my heart pounding idk why I freaked out. I wanted to run out the room. When I walked in the room I felt self conscious like someone was going to see my cuts or know I was a cutter, i was even thinking about going to the bathroom to cut when she mentioned it. i am paranoid and feel sooooo low today. I guess when she mentioned it I panicked. Ugh it's so stupid to panic. But the professor didn't know and said she thought it was not because of the endorphins but because of psychological issues and that "those" people wanted to feel. But the way she said it was like a judgement like it was stupid! Some other species. It hurt a little and made me feel like a freak. I wanted to tell the girl that sometimes it is the endorphins, like a high that makes some forget about everything. I didn't say anything though. I kind of regret not saying anything because cutting is so misunderstood. Were not freaks right? Idk what else to say. Just an event today I thought I'd share.

2. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Trust me, you're not a freak :hug: But I can understand why you would panic and feel a bit insulted...I'm sure it wasn't intentional on the professor's part but I can understand why it bothered you. Most people don't know the reasons behind cutting unless they've done it themselves, and even then, everyone has their own individual reasons for why they do it. I hope that you are feeling a bit better now in regards to anxiety.

3. Sparrow91

Sparrow91 Well-Known Member

Yeah I understand what your saying, maybe it wasn't intentional, she was clearly taken off guard though. And yes people don't get it, maybe a few do. But thats my point everyone has there own reasons, we are all individuals. It's not good to generalize and say its one thing.
    And i feel a little better thank you and thanks for saying I'm not a freak :hug: , I've been feeling like that lately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.