Cyber bullying and suicide

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Petal, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

There has been a recent growth in suicides related to online bullying, I'm sure you have all heard by now the Amanda Todd story, if you have not, read here

Here in Ireland in the past few weeks there has been 3 suicides related to bullying on Facebook on an application called
    The families called for to be shut down but refused to comment.

Here is a link about the 3 suicides of young adults/teenagers who have committed suicide

I have done a lot of googling/research into cyber bullying in the last few weeks and have came to the conclusion that these bullies are not getting the sentencing they deserve, IMHO.

What do you think of cyber bullying related to suicide or suicide attempts. I think more needs to be done and sharply before more lives are lost to mindless bullies.
  2. Lonely83

Lonely83 Active Member

I tried my first attempt at suicidal few mths ago because of internet drama. And got triggered by ANOTHER internet drama yesterday, hadn't eaten/drink all day and slept only 3 hours. The experience I had were not exactly the same like posted above, but got hurt deeply by something they said nonetheless. I can never understand WHY people are so cruel and lack of sympathy and empathy.

Thanks for bringing this up, I also think it need serious attention, people always get more cruel and rude behind the screen than in real life as they can easily get away from their unthoughtful actions.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2012
  3. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

I think its horrible. I think people should remember there are other people on the other side of the screen, when they're online, and its not all just a game. And for those that do bully others, whether in real life or online, they should definitely suffer the consequences of their abuse of others. I don't see a difference between online and "in real life", in that regard. And every time I hear of another of these kids killing themselves due to bullying and abuse, I just cry.
  4. The law can't keep up with technology
  5. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

I think technology makes the process of verbal bullying easier and the nastiness spreads faster and farther, doing more harm to the target. There also seems to be something about hiding behind a screen that makes some people feel like they can say anything about another person and not get caught, or somehow what they say doesn't matter because it's online. It does matter. Bullying is never right.

Perhaps if the consequences for bullying were harsher, fewer people would risk being a bully. :dunno:
  6. Lps

Lps Well-Known Member

thanks for posting, CC. Really bizarre what people are doing each other. Why, when life is in some ways easier than it has ever been, are we driving each other toward death?
  7. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

Bullying is a huge issue these days, especially in schools and among youth. I don't understand it though. Back in my day (I'm old), people were not as tolerant to others. There was no such thing as gay rights, and there was still racist issues in very common situations. Today, if you talk to young people they make it very clear that gays, different races, different styles... they all are accepted. This is great... but with that being the case, why is it that more people get bullied now than they did when I was younger and things were less tolerant??? Where in the process of improvement did things actually instead fail??
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.