Cymbalta/duloxetine withdrawal

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
I've been on the highest dose of this for over a year and although it's helped it hasn't been as helpful as we were hoping, despite having a mood stabilizer added in six months ago.

So my psychiatrist is switching me onto lofepramine instead (tryciclic antidepressant). I was told to reduce the duloxetine by half for two weeks and then stop altogether while gradually increasing the lofepramine.
I had my last dose of duloxetine on Saturday morning.

Since then my mood has gone from ridiculously hyper to extremely suicidal. I've spent the last 20 hours crying - how can someone cry for that long??? I've been awake now for 66 hours non stop.

This afternoon the brain zaps started and the penny dropped - duloxetine withdrawal.

I feel like I'm dying, or going mad, or both. I can't even walk across the room without holding on to the furniture because I'm so dizzy. Running hot and cold, nauseous, upset stomach, thumping headache and buzzing in my ears. I feel totally out of control with suicidal thoughts (although I'm confident of not acting on them). My chest feels like there's a brick burried in it.

I can't get a doctor's appointment until Monday. I've still got some duloxetine in the cupboard. What do I do? Do I go back on them until I can see the doctor? Or do I persevere seeing as I'm on day 4?

Has anyone come off of this successfully? Is two weeks to quick?

Help?

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
I've been on the highest dose of this for over a year and although it's helped it hasn't been as helpful as we were hoping, despite having a mood stabilizer added in six months ago.

So my psychiatrist is switching me onto lofepramine instead (tryciclic antidepressant). I was told to reduce the duloxetine by half for two weeks and then stop altogether while gradually increasing the lofepramine.
I had my last dose of duloxetine on Saturday morning.

Since then my mood has gone from ridiculously hyper to extremely suicidal. I've spent the last 20 hours crying - how can someone cry for that long??? I've been awake now for 66 hours non stop.

This afternoon the brain zaps started and the penny dropped - duloxetine withdrawal.

I feel like I'm dying, or going mad, or both. I can't even walk across the room without holding on to the furniture because I'm so dizzy. Running hot and cold, nauseous, upset stomach, thumping headache and buzzing in my ears. I feel totally out of control with suicidal thoughts (although I'm confident of not acting on them). My chest feels like there's a brick burried in it.

I can't get a doctor's appointment until Monday. I've still got some duloxetine in the cupboard. What do I do? Do I go back on them until I can see the doctor? Or do I persevere seeing as I'm on day 4?
is there any way you can inform your doctor now, if not call the hospital for advice but absolutely do not drive thier, this alarms me because i'm on the way up on duloxetine my doctor is using it for pain. i'm going up on the dose on the 16th and it makes me nervous now. please do not wait until Monday get help now I care about you, mike
Has anyone come off of this successfully? Is two weeks to quick?

Help?

Lynn74

@Lulabelle, that sounds awful. I am so sorry. I have never come off duloxetine (but I am on it now and might be coming off soon if Wellbutrin helps). It does sound like you came off it too fast. The only time I have felt as you just described (including needing to hold on to walls and furniture) is when I had to come off Effexor suddenly because I thought I might have a rash. It was truly horrible. In switching off SSRIs other times, I have had brain zaps, dizziness, and general "yuckiness" but it was manageable. I can't tell you whether you should take some of the pills you have left or wait until Monday. Just be sure that if you stop being comfortable that you won't act on your suicidal thoughts that you will call someone or go to the ER. And remind yourself that withdrawal symptoms are temporary, so you will feel better. Sending hopeful thoughts that this will pass soon.

Were all together

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Discontinuance

• Gradually reduce dosage
  • Abrupt discontinuance may result in symptoms (eg, dizziness, nausea, headache, paresthesia, fatigue, vomiting, irritability, insomnia, diarrhea, anxiety, hyperhidrosis)
  • Wait ≥14 days after discontinuance of monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) therapy to initiate duloxetine therapy; wait ≥5 days after discontinuance of duloxetine therapy to initiate MAOI therapy

Sunspots

Admin
SF Supporter
Thanks Mike.

I've given in and taken one and dropped the new one back down so I'm back to the first step in the switch. Hopefully I'll feel a bit better in a couple of hours. As long as I feel ok doing this tomorrow I'll carry on until Monday as my doctor isn't in until then.

My husband has done some googling and it seems it is particularly nasty to come off of. It advised to make sure your doctor is aware of cymbalta discontinuation syndrome and to withdraw as slowly as possible. I'm guessing two weeks is too fast.

It's a good medication. Lots of people really rate it. And if it works for you it's worth it. I suppose just like people react differently to different meds, it's the same for coming off of.

Sunspots

Admin
SF Supporter
when I had to come off Effexor
I was on effexor before duloxetine. I managed to come off of that by cutting the lowest dose tablets into half and then even into quarters.
But the duloxetine is capsules so can't be cut (and it says they shouldn't be cut open so contents can be reduced that way).
It must have been hell having to come off of effexor so quickly :(

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
Lu, two weeks is the bare minimum for a withdrawal period. Suggested regimens, especially where cross tapering with an alternative drug is involved are basically just guidelines only, which should be modified according to patient response.

Although your appointment is on Monday, personally I'd ring up tomorrow, explain your situation then see what the docs say with regards to whether you should go back on the duloxetine or not.

sinking_ship

woman overboard
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Oh no Lu that sounds awful. I had a doc prescribe that med and then I read about how awful it can be to come off and decided against it. 2 weeks sounds awfully quick for something that affecting. I hope you can work with your doc to reduce more gradually so you can get a break. *hugs*

Sunspots

Admin
SF Supporter
Wow! I feel SO much better this morning!

First half of the night was bad. I kept dropping off to sleep but waking up within 20 minutes from really horrible nightmares/thoughts (not sure you can dream that quick after falling asleep). I was convinced there was someone breaking in to the house to kill me. But by 3.30am I went to sleep and stayed asleep with no nightmares :)

I've taken another one this morning and feel absolutely fine again. Managed to get an appointment with a different doctor tomorrow morning so will see what they say and I've emailed the psychiatrists secretary to see if the psych can give me some advice over the phone. Must admit I'm terrified of trying again as that was pure hell. Next time I try I'll give you some notice so I don't come across like some mad crazy thing :D

Woowoo

SF Artist
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hey Lu, I'm so sorry you've been going through this my lovely, it sounds awful, but I'm really glad that you managed to get some sleep and are feeling better this morning. I hope the doctor's appointment goes well tomorrow and that they can recommend a much more gradual transition that won't have such horrible side effects. Sending lots of hugs xx

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter

First half of the night was bad. I kept dropping off to sleep but waking up within 20 minutes from really horrible nightmares/thoughts (not sure you can dream that quick after falling asleep). I was convinced there was someone breaking in to the house to kill me. But by 3.30am I went to sleep and stayed asleep with no nightmares :)

I've taken another one this morning and feel absolutely fine again. Managed to get an appointment with a different doctor tomorrow morning so will see what they say and I've emailed the psychiatrists secretary to see if the psych can give me some advice over the phone. Must admit I'm terrified of trying again as that was pure hell. Next time I try I'll give you some notice so I don't come across like some mad crazy thing :D
i'm relieved you are doing better just make sure they take you off a lot slower and it shouldn't be so bad I wish you well and you did have me worried with your behavior but you definitely had a reason, just a suggestion when you start again tell us so we can help you down the journey while you come off the duloxetine

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter

Glad to hear that you feel ok again. From what you've mentioned of your experiences, it seems as if they tried to go a bit too quickly with regards to tapering you off duloxetine. Hopefully the next time, it will be a more slow and gradual withdrawal; tailored made towards you and so reducing the chances of you feeling so much discomfort.

Sunspots

Admin
SF Supporter
I saw one of the doctors yesterday. He was really dismissive. Told me that I should have expected a slight dip in my mood while transitioning onto a different medication. He also said that there shouldn't be any problems coming off of an antidepressant and that two weeks should be more than enough time.

I tried to explain that it wasn't a dip in my mood. That it felt more physical. I have NEVER experienced a hyper episode (I'm refraining from calling it manic). Nausea, diarrhea, shaking and dizziness are all documented physical affects of antidepressant withdrawal. I don't think he believed me. I got the distinct impression he thought I was being histrionic.

Anyway, it turns out there is a 30mg capsule (I'm on 60 and thought that was the lowest) so has told me to go down to the 30 for two weeks and then stop.

So today I'm starting on the 30's. If I start turning into a crazy person in a couple of days, do let me know...

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
I saw one of the doctors yesterday. He was really dismissive. Told me that I should have expected a slight dip in my mood while transitioning onto a different medication. He also said that there shouldn't be any problems coming off of an antidepressant and that two weeks should be more than enough time.

I tried to explain that it wasn't a dip in my mood. That it felt more physical. I have NEVER experienced a hyper episode (I'm refraining from calling it manic). Nausea, diarrhea, shaking and dizziness are all documented physical affects of antidepressant withdrawal. I don't think he believed me. I got the distinct impression he thought I was being histrionic.

Anyway, it turns out there is a 30mg capsule (I'm on 60 and thought that was the lowest) so has told me to go down to the 30 for two weeks and then stop.

So today I'm starting on the 30's. If I start turning into a crazy person in a couple of days, do let me know...
That doctor sounds like a real tosser the way he acted. Someone should tell him he should interrupt his daily masturbation routine and do his fucking job more professionally.

And maybe update his medical knowledge, sounds like he's stuck in the Victorian times.

Have you asked your psych, see what his views on the matter is? He should be in a more knowledgeable position to offer advice.

Sunspots

Admin
SF Supporter
That doctor sounds like a real tosser the way he acted. Someone should tell him he should interrupt his daily masturbation routine and do his fucking job more professionally.

And maybe update his medical knowledge, sounds like he's stuck in the Victorian times.

Have you asked your psych, see what his views on the matter is? He should be in a more knowledgeable position to offer advice.
I'm not due to see my psychiatrist until January. She's always complaining about how busy she is so I feel really guilty if I try to contact her.

Dr Tosser (thanks for coming up with a more appropriate name for him), helpfully cancelled my appointment on Monday with my regular GP as he sees the matter as dealt with and me being the tit I am didn't like to disagree. But I have another appointment with her in two weeks so I'll see how I get on with the 30's. If I run into trouble I know I can phone her secretary and she'll squeeze me in somewhere.

I'm really trying to keep my sensible head on as I know what to look out for now but I must admit it really scares me.

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
I'm not due to see my psychiatrist until January. She's always complaining about how busy she is so I feel really guilty if I try to contact her.

Dr Tosser (thanks for coming up with a more appropriate name for him), helpfully cancelled my appointment on Monday with my regular GP as he sees the matter as dealt with and me being the tit I am didn't like to disagree. But I have another appointment with her in two weeks so I'll see how I get on with the 30's. If I run into trouble I know I can phone her secretary and she'll squeeze me in somewhere.

I'm really trying to keep my sensible head on as I know what to look out for now but I must admit it really scares me.
If you feel you're coming off the duloxetine too quickly, then naturally slow down. I was thinking if it would be a good idea to ring the psych to fill them in on the current situation. End of the day, fuck it if she's complaining how busy she is, this is more important, especially as the guy you saw was more of a dic than a doc.

Sunspots

Admin
SF Supporter
I'm really struggling with this. I had my last 30mg on Friday. Brain zaps started yesterday, no sleep at all last night and feel so sick and dizzy today. I feel totally shit.

I saw my GP this morning and told her how crap I was feeling. I asked if maybe it would be an idea to take one every other day and gradually increase the time in between. But she told me that withdrawal symptoms from antidepressants are all in our heads - it's purely psychological, there are no physical side effects.
So that's ok then. Silly me. I'll just tell my body that it's not actually feeling like shit and I'll miraculously feel better again.

I get it. I know I've got to suck it up. I know I've just got to ride it out and hope I don't feel like shit for too long. But really??? Fuck, I really wish they'd make these doctors take this shit so they know what they're actually talking about.
Dogwankingfucksticks the lot of them.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00