cymbalta- please read!

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by steph723, Dec 4, 2007.

1. steph723

steph723 New Member

Has anyone here used cymbalta and had an immediate effect. My life went from 0-100 in 4 days!!! i cant believe it....please please share if anyone has had this experience. I am having some side effects but I will take nausea and dry mouth over depression any day. I was NON FUNCTIONAL!!!

I started coming to this site about a month ago. I was EXTREMLY suicidal and I used to read peoples stories in order to convince myself not to do anything.

I went from graduating from an Ivy League college, involved in EVERYTHING, having a boyfriend, amazing job, friends and apartment to having NOTHING. THe depression ate me ALIVE. For 8 months I had NO feelings. I could not sleep and began taking sleep meds which made me so confused.

I lost interest in EVERYTHING! I tried so many meds which all made me worse and worse and worse. I went from lexapro to clonzapan for anxiety to remerom to zoloft.

My parents got a court order to put me in the hospital last week and I began taking cymbalta. The doctor was soooo smart and amazing. I owe him my life. I went from writing a suicide note to being so happy to wake up in the morning. I have been on the meds for a little over a week and I feel WONDERFUL! I am finally me again. I went shopping for the first time in 8 months yesterday, did my hair, and makeup. I felt like me again.

I just pray I do not relapse because I have before when I stopped taking meds. I think it is so important to find a good doctor and as pissed as i was for being admitted to the hospital I am so lucky I found this doctor. I have been out of work for almost 6 months and I have a chance to start over now!!! I cannot wait for my life again. 2 weeks ago I was planning my suicide and now I am planning a trip to the spa today.

THe most annoying thing for me was when people would tell me " you will get better, no one stays like this forever". People who have not been through a major depression do not understand that in your mind you CAN stay like this forever and I had accepted that fact already. So i dont want to annoy anyone by saying this but there can be some hope on the right meds. I had to go through so many and lost almost a year of my life but at least i am alive. If anyone wants to talk to me feel free to message me. Different people react to different meds. I am having some side effects of dry mouth and a little nausea. I am also a little hyper but i was always hyper before. I hardly spoke a word to anyone for 8 months and now i have so much to say. I cut EVERYONE out of my life but have reconnected and everyone understands and never gave up on me. I am so lucky. Please find the right meds and therapist it can mean your life. I know most of you reading this dont want to live right now but I swear I have my life back...it is possible I PROMISE!

Be safe xoxo
    Stephanie

2. Beret

Beret Staff Alumni

Stephanie, im so glad Cymbalta is helping you. Im also taking it twice a day and it has changed my life too. From staying all day in bed to becoming active again it has changed my life. I want to do things again, i registered at school, started painting again and am working on a new portfolio in order to continue uni in the US :) Cymbalta is great and im so happy it is helping u lots too.
    Beret xxx

3. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

I'm glad it's helped you, I was on over max dosage for months, and nothing but it's helped a large amount of people, so to you out there that have thought about meds, think about trying Cymbalta, it's helped a lot of people, from my understandings.... it's helped way more people than not. Once again, I'm glad it's helped you all! :grouphug:

4. steph723

steph723 New Member

Beret, that is amazing! How long did it take you to work? Have you had any side effects? My mouth is dry but it is very cold here. I am moving back to florida on friday and I CANNOT wait. It is so awesome being excited about things again. I get a second chance at life. I hope this doesnt stop working that is my only concern.

How long have you been on it. I used to always talk a lot but I feel like I am excessively talking. Not manic at all because I am totally rational. I think i am just excited I get to live again instead of being housebound for months! I get to live again woohoo!

5. silent_enigma

silent_enigma Well-Known Member

6. Beret

Beret Staff Alumni

Steph, it took me for a very short time to have effects on me, ive been taking it for a couple months now. Only get down when i drink too much alcohol :( Hope it will continue to work with you as well :D
    :hug:
    Beret xx

7. BOLIAO

BOLIAO Guest

My suicidal urges became very extreme for the past 3 days and I went to see the psy. He prescribed me cymbalta today. I really hope it works as I see no way out of my severe depression.

8. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

I just wanted to reply to say how warming your post was, I am so glad to read this medication is such a help to you. :) Best of luck with everything. :arms:

9. WhyMeWhy

WhyMeWhy Well-Known Member

Isn't it true that different meds work differently on different people? Because if this is a miracle drug..... I know someone who needs it badly-not me-someone I care for deeply. I am now thinking of reccommending it to her & her doctor to see what they think. Thank you for the info steph723! :D

10. nicesinging1

nicesinging1 Well-Known Member

If you guys are still around, can you update people on how the drug has been working so far? Do you still feel good, productive, and happy? Does the drug really do wonders and change your life around?

11. BOLIAO

BOLIAO Guest

I think this is almost the end of the 3rd week since i started on cymbalta. To a certain extent, it helped. It started working within a couple of days. I felt more normal as if i'm back to the present moment rather than feeling detached from my body, feeling hollow, empty and the suicidal urges was reduced to suicidal ideation. the overwhelming awful feeling of depression and the 'flight' response disappeared. i'm still severely depressed and not motivated to do anything at all as my problem is situational and also due to my personality BUT I would strongly recommend this med for those of you who are sufferring from chemical imbalance. BTW, I finlly realised that depression due to situational circumstances DOES cause a chemical reaction in the brain and makes the mind go haywire. Why? Cos I resisted meds as I felt that my problem has got nothing to do at all with chemical imbalances but caused by my job resignation. Extremely suicidal until was going to do it within 2 days. Forced myself to see a doctor merely to please my family. Took the med without any hope. it also eliminated my anxiety attacks and morning panic attacks. However, it took away my libido and made me lose appetite. I lost 13 pounds since then.

This med works much faster than those I've taken in my previous depressions.

12. nicesinging1

nicesinging1 Well-Known Member

Could you elaborate on that? Although I suffer from severe depression, I am not an expert on depression. My Qs are,
    Is chemical imbalance something you are born with? Or can it be caused by traumatic memory and bad childhood like abuse, bullying?

13. BOLIAO

BOLIAO Guest

I had a normal childhood and a happy family. I never had depression at all throughout my growing years. As a normal guy, I never had any chemical imbalances and never accepted that fact that I could have it.

Since my problem is situational, how could i have any chemical imbalance that gave me depression? How could popping some stupid pills solve my problems? It was REAL LIFE circumstances that caused me to be suicidal and depressed with no way out so how could it be chemical imbalance? I go to internet depression forum reading people posting about how taking pills made them feel better. How it made them positive again. HECK, my problems are REAL LIFE problems not chemical imbalances. I felt I was going crazy and was losing my mind.

Finally had to go see the QUACK, maybe to hang on a little longer for my family. after a few days, the symptoms reduced. Medication does not take away my problems but it stabilised me although I'm still horribly depressed. But not to the extent of feeling like I'm going crazy.

I summarize to say that medication does treat the symptoms although it doesnt mean that cymbalta works for everyone. different people react to different meds. u've got to find one that works.

Please go see a doc if u r depressed or else it would spiral down further.

btw my depression got so severe until i felt detached from my body with my mind far far away, really hollow and i also felt trapped in time. time wouldn't move. every minute was like an hour and that was when i was really going to take my life cos i couldnt go on living like this. I did a search on depersonalization and disassociation and realized that if we dont treat severe depression, our minds can progress to the above. And thats why my signature has that forum. There are people like me out there. After taking meds, it went away. I got back 'into' my body.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  14. faeriegirl

faeriegirl Active Member

Awesome hon! So glad to hear that you found a med that seems to be working for you!