Cymbalta

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by thelast, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thelast

thelast Active Member

i've never taken anti drepressants and i just got them perscribed last week, i havent picked them up or anything, i hella afraid to, i dont like mind altering drugs

the shit that's happend to me was fucked up and just cause i havent gotten over it fast enough for everyone else doesnt mean i should take some medicated happiness and walk around with an artificial smile like everything is okay- CAUSE ITS NOT

i know i'm a peice of shit, i know it -but i'm still human and no human should do that to another human- how could she do this to me, i would never- ever leave someone to die like that- no matter how much i hated them
    and shes sending me emails about how i'm gonna go to hell cause of the suicide attempts

some days i feel like i'm gonna do it so i try to keep busy
    but its so hard, and i'm loosing myself over the years, i live such a secret life and i can never be with someone cause i dont want them to have to deal with my problems

ooooooooooo i dont even know where i'm going with this anymore - i'll stop

i guess what i'm trying to say is i'm scared and frustrated

2. GoldenPsych

GoldenPsych Well-Known Member

Of course you're scared, you are bound to be.

Anti-depressants don't make you happy. There is no false medicated smile with them. It helps you to have a better mood as it blocks certain seratonin hormones being re-uptaken. You can't get addicted to them and they don't give you a false high. Generally though, as you have probably already been told, you may feel worse in the first 6-8 weeks of taking them, however, this does usually subside.

It's worth giving them a go. Ask for therapy also as if it is an event that has caused you to feel like you do you can probably find useful some kind of counselling to help you deal with it in a more effective way.

xx

3. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

I've heard of Cymbalta its a good medecine and I think it's going to really help you if you're thinking about having your doctor prescribe it to you

4. thelast

thelast Active Member

i dont know..........

and that whole phase where you'll feel like shit for a couple of weeks first, all i need is one day and i could kill myself, and i dont need that, that's kinda the whole point

i dont wanna die like that, but i dont wanna live like this

5. GoldenPsych

GoldenPsych Well-Known Member

I don't wanna die but I don't wanna live like this....

That is exactly what I am feeling. Hold on to that I don't want to die feeling and that will get you through the next few weeks.

It may not make you feel worse in the first few weeks, it's just a possibility. Take the chance. If they didn't think you needed them then they wouldn't have prescribed them for you would they?

xxx

6. Ravenwing

Ravenwing Well-Known Member

Very wise words. There is no guarantee that you will feel worse. They do take a little while to kick in, but they certainly won't alter your mind or consciousness. Please try.

7. Anonymous007

Anonymous007 New Member

I just want you to know that Cymbalta was one of the anti-depressants my doctor prescribed for me before we found out I was bi-polar, not just depressed. Please be very careful, let someone in your family or a friend know you're taking it. These pills made me extremely EXTREMELY angry- I'm normally an angry, hateful person. But these pills made me worse. I felt like a zombie... It was terrifying. Just monitor yourself and keep your doctor's number on speed dial.

8. Caster

Caster Well-Known Member

Anyone can react adversely to anti-depressants, but for most people cymbalta works really well. I would use it. I used to be on it and it worked great for me but I just couldn't afford it anymore. In fact, I felt better after only taking it for four days at 30 mg per day.

If worst comes to worst and it doesn't help, you can always quit taking it. But at least you'll know.

9. thelast

thelast Active Member

yeah.. i'm not takin that shit

10. solutions

solutions Well-Known Member

I wish someone would've explained this already, but here goes.

Antidepressants work in the reverse way they should. The first thing you'd notice on any antidepressant is an increase in energy. But that's no good, because your mood still sucks, only now you have all this energy--plenty to act out a plan of suicide. That's why those black box warnings exist.

I took Zoloft for some years, and at one point my pdoc and I agreed it could be upped. Within days of upping the dosage, I was a violently agitated and dangerous individual. When the dosage went back to what it was before, the symptoms stopped.

See, I'm assuming you don't have anyone who can monitor your symptoms for you. That would be ideal when starting an antidepressant. But if you really feel suicidal and aren't willing to take any kind of medication...well, that puts you at a bad disadvantage. God forbid you end up in a state hospital, but it'd be a possibility if you were suicidal and didn't have any support.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2011
  11. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I've been on cymbalta for a while now and they seem to be ok for me...
    they didn't make me worse at the start but they take a few weeks to show their full potential..
    my theory is if you are suicidal anyway trying medications can't be any worse than death...
    I recommend giving them a try......what have you got to lose!

12. Silverpuddle

Silverpuddle SF Author

I loved Cymbalta--it's used not only for depression but for the chronic pain of fibromyalgia, which I have some of the symptoms of.

Unfortunately, I started having poor liver tests and had to go off of it.

13. thelast

thelast Active Member

thanks a lot, i made up my mind
    thanks to the people who are really going through this shit
    but a lot of you sound like you're just doctors undercover, i think i'm done with this site, but thanks anyway

14. solutions

solutions Well-Known Member

Ahhhh fuck.

It'd be nice if we were doctors undercover. As it stands, we don't get paid to do this, and most of us are like me--young, somewhat educated on suicide prevention, but eager to help.

If you're really leaving, good luck to you.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2011
  15. thelast

thelast Active Member

thank you "senior members"

16. AlienBeing

AlienBeing Well-Known Member

I'm trying Cymbalta for the second time. The first time, when I increased to 60mg I developed what I thought was a bad stomach bug for a month. Then the pdoc said to try stopping the Cymbalta and it went away. But it might have been a coincidence so I'm guinea pigging myself and trying it again. I've only taken 30mg for a few days though and no side effects yet. One good thing about was that it really killed my appetite and I lost a lot of weight.

17. Songstress

Songstress Well-Known Member

My fiance was on cymbalta, the only reason he isn't still is because his insurance won't cover anything but generics. It didn't make him "falsey happy" what it did was help him think clearer without the depression being in control. And it seemed to do better for him than the generic he's currently on.

Pils aren't about making someone a fake happy, they are to help cope, to block excess chemicals. And I'm not a doctor. I was never studying to be one either. I just know how they work because my fiance was on them, and I'm trying to see someone to maybe get on some myself because nothing I'm doing is helping me.

18. Tygerlili8

Tygerlili8 Member

Hi I'm new here. I was on Cymbalta for a while, but they didn't really work for me. To this day I feel bad whenever I think about it, because I trusted someone with my feelings about taking Cymbalta, and he sort of made fun of me for being on them. That was back in 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.