Cynicism driving me crazy -- Unsure about job offer

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Prinnctopher's Belt, Apr 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

I'm a cynic. Always have been, always will be, no cure.

So for the past two weeks I've been really aggressive with my job search. I put resumes on every site imaginable, including the WashingtonPost Jobs site, Careerbuilder, everything under the Sun. So, I got an e-mail yesterday.

So that was yesterday. I just had the interview, completely online through the messenger, from 2pm to about 3pm. I was REALLY awry of this because I'm aptly aware of the job scams on the internet. The interview was a little funny because I'm so cynical about this, and him, and underlying motives, and everything. I asked a lot of questions about the company, is there a web site, are there other employees who do this, how the training would be conducted if it's all from home, where the equipment would come from, he said everything would be covered, basically, and that I'd get funds from the company for the things needed. It wasn't like a typical job interview where you ask questions afterward and are told everything and asked about your resume, asked about you... that never happened. Also never asked for the usual things you expect from a scam job, never asked for personal information, no birth date, no social security number, no credit card, no money, nothing but my name, address, and phone number (mobile), then I was given an employment agreement letter to sign, confirming that I'm being employed by them.

He just got on, e-mailed me the details of the job position, a summary of the company, and it included info on salary and benefits ($18/hour for all-day training M-F; working salary after training of $23/hour -- $38k per year -- with 401k, paid vacation, health and dental, sick leave, all benefits after 3 months with the company), and told me that funds for the equipment would be sent to me in the first week, and be paid biweekly. I have a lot of questions about this still, because I'm not sure if it's legit or not, but in case it's not a scam, I didn't want to ruin my chances at this job offer. So... we'll see, but I'm not stopping my job search until I confirm the paychecks are in my hand and already cashed in my purse.

What do you think about this? Does it seem like a scam? Legit? :unsure:

Also, the company is international, headquartered in the UK, with the US office in Texas, and I would be working from home 100% as far as I know now. I'm supposed to be getting materials like a desk, an all in one printer, scanner, fax, copier, and a laptop, and a special type of printer for bar codes. When I asked about how I would get them, he said the company would send me the funds... I'm wondering why they won't purchase the materials for me and send them themselves. We'll see... ???

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2011
  2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Have you googled the company? If it's a scam, there will be warnings aplenty. Also perhaps contact the Better Business Bureau that's in the same city as their US headquarters and see if there have been any complaints.

3. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

aoeu hit the nail on the head.. Check them out..

4. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Until they send you an Employment Agreement, you know nothing...have an lawyer review it and DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING before it is adequately reviewed by ppl you trust...if you are comfortable, I will be happy to read it as I have hired thousands of ppl over the years...J

5. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

my spidey-sense is tingling, too. sounds a bit fishy. you'll know something is wrong if they want your banking info in order to transfer the $$ to you electronically. or it could be an identity theft scam, esp. if they want your SSN and date of birth for "employment records" ... trust your instincts. and send the contract to sadeyes for sure.

6. Prinnctopher's Belt

Okay, so I did call the company the guy supposedly works for, and it is a legitimate company, but they told me that they've had a number of complaints over the past three to four days about being contacted through e-mail about a "customer service" position. He told me that it was a scam and that someone was phishing. The thing about it is that the guy hadn't given me any links to click on or asked for any sensitive information, except for my name (no middle name), address, and phone number. The person at the company I spoke with this morning also told me that they do have people in India and elsewhere who do work online, but said that they don't have any recruiter.

He did send me the lengthy bs job details, and an employment agreement letter, which was very brief and doesn't really have many terms and conditions at all, it's two paragraphs long. Today, I figured I'd play along (this was before I called the company) for what was supposedly the first day of "training". He sent me a task which involved creating a bank reconciliation statement (no information involved, just had to enter the data he sent me into Excel and send it back to him.

I typed up whatever the hell, and he said it was reviewed and accepted, that "that is all for today" and to report back on Monday at 9am. Then I had to send in a time sheet every Friday, so I sent in a time sheet for today's "training," and that was it. Then I called the company.

So I don't know what kind of phishing this if that's what it is.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2011
  7. Prinnctopher's Belt

The company is called Dot Squares and their number is 1-888-746-5616, they have offices in India, one in Texas in the U.S., and its headquarters are in the UK. FYI

8. Prinnctopher's Belt

Well, I did sign the letter yesterday before seeing the replies. I'm able to read, write, and understand contracts, so I saw neither risk nor loss in doing so, particularly because of its lack of any indisputable terms or conditions, and susceptibility to being void at this point. This is what it reads (everything, including syntax, punctuation, grammar, is as it was written except in brackets):

Thoughts?

9. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

If I understand you correctly, the real company says it's a scam. Right? What's the question here. Are you just curious to see what will happen next? I'm sure you know enough to not give out any personally identifiable information.

10. Prinnctopher's Belt

Yep, oh total scam. I just talked to someone and looked up some resources on phishing to see what could be done with just a name, address, and phone number and so far I'm still safe, and blocked the mofo; the scammer is trying to build up trust and was planning in the future to start asking me for $$$ info. Also found this on Google, EXACT same shit. http://flakelist.org/page/viewpub/tid/1/pid/4162

Aha! I was right, see! "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after me," seems appropriate mhmm.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.