damn e-readers

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by morning rush, Aug 15, 2013.

1. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I am just so pissed. I tried to buy a nook (barnes and noble e-reader) but then when I came to pay through their website, it said that they didn't deliver it to canada quebec (which is where I live) so....didn't buy it.

Kindle, I cannot buy either, and on top they don't accept paypal and I don't have a credit card.

So I thought, well I have an i-touch, maybe apple could let me download books, NOPE! apparently it can be downloaded on OTHER devices.

Now I'm stuck with buying either a damn kobo which I hate...and a sony e-reader. Sony e-reader doesn't have all the books I want in their store....so I ended up downloading books on pirate download places instead of paying for them which I would if I would have been able to get my damn NOOK!

and then they complain that people download illegally...well fuck! give me a damn nook and I'll buy them...

end of rant....
  2. flowers

flowers Senior Member

Damn, I am sorry. Maybe we can figure out a way that I can get it here and have it shipped to me. And then I could send it to you??

Otherwise, maybe someone goes to VT or NY. I think Plattsburgh NY must have a Barnes and Noble. And they are less than 1 1/2 hours away. Maybe they can get it for you. But just know I will do it for you if you want. Just would have to figure out the logistics.
  3. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Don't bite me, older generation here, but how about real books :behindsofa:
  4. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

lol, terry, I love real books, but I love trees more. Ebooks save trees. Plus already have too many books, so I don't have anymore space for them :( so in an e-reader, it doesn't take much space :)

flowers, thanks for the offer. I did think of that, but I'm worried that once I have one, and try to purchase BN nook books, they won't let me because I'm from canada...I know I tried to download a sample and it said that I couldn't on this lap top...so...I think I will go see sony store and figure out about their product...
  5. flowers

flowers Senior Member

okay, I read about it. ( one of my famous searches, lol) And found out whats going on. you are right. You would not be able to buy many of the ebooks in Canada. Here is why

Canada has erected legal restrictions designed to protect Canadian authors, publishers, distributors, and booksellers from foreign (American) competition. B&N, being an American company, cannot legally sell most products in Canada without the permission of the Canadian government. Amazon.ca, being a Canadian company, can. If you don't like it, write your MP and complain about how the Investment Canada Act keeps you from being able to buy what you want from whom you want.

Also, B&N's contracts with the publishers generally forbid sales outside of the United States. They aren't even permitted to sell most e-books to US territories like the US Virgin Islands.
  6. Wastingecho

Wastingecho Well-Known Member

they may cost more, but see if you can get a 7-inch tablet, like the nexus

android-based and the nook and kindle apps are free, along with a number of other e-book reader options (zo reader is pretty good)

at least with an android tablet you can load any epub file - as long as you can figure out where it needs to be (nook and kindle apps have a specific location that the file HAS to be in - zo reader just needs to be pointed at the file)

and you can find a lot of epub books - check epubbud.com and dpgroup.org

www.baen.com has a link to a free library at the bottom of the main page - they also sell e-books that do not use DRM if you want to be able to share them