Dangers of SOPA

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Mordeci, Dec 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

What is SOPA?

SOPA stands for the Stop Online Piracy Act. It is one of two bills being considered by congress. The other is the Protect-IP Act.
    They want to prevent piracy and copyright infringement. But they do so in an overly-aggressive, innovation-endangering way. They allow the entertainment industry to censor sites they feel "engage in, enable or facilitate" infringement.

The issues with SOPA:

The Electronic Frontier Foundation describes SOPA as the "blacklist bill" because it would "allow the U.S. government and private corporations to create a blacklist of censored websites, and cut many more off from their ad networks and payment providers."

That means the Attorney General would have the power to cut off select websites from search engines like Google. It could also cut off advertisers and payment processors like Visa from the sites. The Attorney General could essentially kill all of a site's traffic and revenue in a matter of days.

SOPA only allows targeted sites five days to submit an appeal. That doesn't leave much time for them to defend themselves before losing their site and their revenue altogether.

What tech companies and innovators are saying about SOPA:

The heavy regulation SOPA implies isn't sitting well with many of tech's best and brightest. People from AOL, Twitter, Google, LinkedIn, Zynga, and Facebook have all signed a letter to congress that opposes SOPA. The letter states:

"Since their enactment in 1998, the DMCA’s safe harbor provisions for online service providers have been a cornerstone of the U.S. Internet and technology industry’s growth and success. While we work together to find additional ways to target foreign 'rogue sites,' we should not jeopardize a foundational structure that has worked for content owners and Internet companies alike and provides certainty to innovators with new ideas for how people create, find, discuss and share information lawfully online.”

These bills are a classic example of a government bought and paid for by a small set of entrenched, financialized corporations. In this case, the largest music and media corps, who are unable or unwilling to take advantage of new business models, are paying congress to create laws that let them destroy whoever they think acts against their interest, without due process. This, despite the fact that it has been repeatedly demonstrated that people will prefer to purchase their goods if they are offered at reasonable price and convenience -- in those scenarios, "piracy" virtually disappears. The "piracy" they are attempting to legislate against has also been successfully leveraged into increased sales. But, these corporate dinosaurs are not interested in figuring out how to make opportunity out of progress, they want to hold on to their outdated distribution model, and leverage the govt to do so. Meanwhile, in the free market, independent music producers are eating their lunch by taking advantage of new technology. Congressional votes on this bill will be a reliable indicator of whether each congressperson/senator is interested in serving their constituents, or a narrow group of corporations.

2. Obsessive

Obsessive Well-Known Member

It's actually worse than that - apparently some of the bill's most avid supporters are the very corporations that released and promoted the software that made pirating even possible in the first place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJIuYgIvKsc&feature=g-all-f&context=G2c34d2cFAAAAAAAABAA

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2011
  3. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

so.. time to download all my favorite albums, and then buyem of course once i get money lol .

Ug... i dont have the heart to look or understand this just yet, but .. I hope the freedom of the internet doesnt become clamped down. It's really one of the best resources we have

4. ScarlettBlood

ScarlettBlood Well-Known Member

I don't think we should worry. I've heard that Obama promised to veto SOPA. So.. I think we're good. For now.. .-.

5. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

Good video, I actually just got really intreseted on the subject when I heard GoDaddy changed its postion and will no longer support the bill (or so they say) when in the meantime they actually helped to write it. Wikipedia actually said they are going to stop using GoDaddy as soon as possible for there support and hand in the bill.

---------- Post added at 01:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 AM ----------

He didn't say it outright but he said he would uphold net-neutrality so it is a strong indication that he would veto it. Problem is its a bi-partsian bill and the possablity of a overruled veto is very real, swing votes like Brown from Mass. hasnt made public how they would vote and depending on the election results it can change drastically. There is alot of money to be lost and gained over this bill and it could defintly sway who gets money from who for 2012. I dont expect the issue to be resolved until a new congress is in session with possibly a new president (I doubt a new president but stranger things have happened), but the fact that its even on the table frightens me,

6. Comrade Napoleon

Comrade Napoleon Well-Known Member

I am surprised there hasn't been any mention of this act on CNN, BBC, or even in newspapers. Maybe the owners of the news media are in favor of this act passing and therefore refuse to educate the public.

7. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

While it wouldn't really affect the UK so the BBC doesn't care as much; the USA isn't invading the internet, just ruining for themselves like China, everyone else is OK.

Furthermore it'd end up doing very little, people that are savvy enough to use P2P protocols now without being caught are smart enough to get around the need for DNS requests to US DNS servers.

8. skysunsand

skysunsand Well-Known Member

:D That's true, even if this did pass, it just makes it a tad more difficult to pirate stuff. It's still totally able to be worked around, easily.
    What I don't get is why the government is putting any time or money into this. Aren't there...you know...BIGGER issues to deal with right now? Like, oh, our whole economy?

9. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Because the RIAA and MPAA are huge lobbies with a lot of money in government official's pockets.

10. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

To me it's like setting up a future Domino effect. It sets an international foundation that if one group can establish a dictation to it's people in this regard, perhaps others can aswell. Maybe not to the exact methods, but variations, lesser, but on the same playing field. It's not just about the stuff today, but the ripple effects and social mentalities we're steering and brewing for the next 10-50 years. It's stupid imo. They're clamping down and trying to control instead of just letting the internet and people be what they are, and do what they do. I do get the economical implications though. But I would hope we find a better way than finances to be the driving force in society. Considering how much we fight it and the constant errosion of liberities just to sit in a "social free norm" until they dream up and pass the next thing in the name of the next reason or dance.

And yes people will always find a way around it and pass the information around. But the transition from how it is now to that sort of power and dictation from our governments is rather invasive and disruptive, and just feeds an awkward social mentality. Aswell it re-affirms that it's wrong... and I'm not too sure it is wrong to download programs and songs tbh. I think it's pretty good idea, and if you like it and you can, buy the songs or programs. ..obviously my sort of thinking doesn't work for the people producing these programs and albums, but.. idk. There's no harmony in it, so fuck it like you say.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2012
  11. hornbeam

hornbeam Well-Known Member

Wikipedia will not be availabe tomorrow in protest of the bill.

12. Tmacster1

Tmacster1 Well-Known Member

Their doing a blackout till midnight today. Please not that mobile networks can still connect to wikiapedia. Also you can bypass the blackout by disabling java script. However, I can handle the last several hours without. College was closed today because of the snow. I would call your rep's and tell them not to support SOPA or PIPA.

Trevor,

13. gloomy

gloomy Account Closed

I actually preferred life before the Internet… not that I'm supporting the bill or anything, I'm just saying the Internet isn't necessarily a human right and to be honest I think a lot of people would be happier without it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.