dangers of the internet

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by hollowvoice, Mar 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hollowvoice

hollowvoice Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

A US nurse has been convicted of aiding the suicides of an English man and a Canadian woman after seeking out depressed people online and urging the two to kill themselves.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12754211

i hope and pray that no one here will ever fall victim to this sort of sub human scum

2. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

This nurse sounds like a bitch.

Probly'll get hit by a car someday, hopefully. :)

The internet can be a down-right shithole at times. That's why I very rarely venture beyond the borders of SF and one or two other sites.

3. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

sick bastard...

4. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

:(

I donno what to say. Tbh it's another reason to appricate this site and the way it's is maintained. And especially the people here.

5. Stripe

Stripe Well-Known Member

In the book "Survivor" by Chuck Palahniuk the lead character does something quite simular to this.

Reading about it in a work of fiction was bad enough.

6. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

another man just convicted to for death of canadian girl and a guy he has gotten life imprison sick all of them are sick b as you say to take someones love one like that instead of encouraging them to get help

7. PollyAnna

PollyAnna Account Closed

8. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call it a danger of the internet; the internet enables communication, it doesn't make people enter suicide pacts under false pretences.

9. Hellfrost

Hellfrost Well-Known Member

internet has its own dangerous aspects though. The danger in this case is that it can easily connect sociopaths with new victims.

10. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

Do people really think this site has never experienced people like that? hmmmm ok

11. hollowvoice

hollowvoice Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

guys i just wanted to bring this thread up again

please dont give out your msn/yahoo/im or any forms of communication unless you truly know the person well

i hear too many "chats " are going away from sf and turning nasty

sf is a nice safe place to chat and is well moderated to keep the stalkers away

and any behaviour should be reported to a mod or at the very least someone who is a long time member/friend with many posts to their name

please be careful guys xx

12. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I agree totalling keep your personal information to family and friends you do trust okay and stay where it is safe thanks for the reminder hollowvoice

13. MLKane

MLKane Well-Known Member

I always use a proxy email on the web, never give out my full real name, never give out more than my county, never give out any phone numbers. I don't post pictures, I ignore people who freak me out, even if it's just a feeling, I don't mix my friends offline with people I meet online, and what information I do give out about my life would only lead you to my true identity if you already knew me offline. I don't trust anyone, irl or online, or at least I haven't for a long time, and so far it's worked out pretty well for me. as I remarked to a friend yesterday, paranoia has it's uses.

14. OutCaste

OutCaste Well-Known Member

This is what I've posted in another thread

http://www.suicideforum.com/showthread.php?t=99254

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.