Dating of people with personality disorders (narcissists, sociopaths, psychopaths)

Discussion in 'Rape and Abuse' started by betteroff, Nov 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. betteroff

betteroff Member

Has anyone been trough this? How long were you in the relationship? How was the personality disorder of your boyfriend/girlfriend manifested and when did you figure out what kind of person you were dealing with? What was your relationship like? Did your partner had a history of abuse of his own or was there no apparent reason for his personality disorder?

I am not probably the right person to even start this thread because even though I did date a psychopath the relationship was only a short-term one. But it did hurt me still so therefore I established this thread.

I was in a relationship with a psychopath. At first he seemed to me extremely charming, funny, socially talented, succesfull, perspective and intelligent person. Which he remained at all times but soon the relationship worstened all the way to the point where he picked on me, kicked, beated, threatened with a knife, tried to rape, yelled, pointed with a gun and threatened to kill me. The gun episode was the point where I run without never looking back but still many of the things he had time to do mentally haunt me even today. Not to mention the psychological abuse because he was indeed extremely perspective about people.

He had a history of severe sexual abuse when he himself had been a kid and therefore it was no wonder that he was the kind of person he was. Although he had been acting violently even before he was sexually abused as a child so I can't know for sure.

I wish I could erase away the time when I met him but I can't. Fortunately I run away early and the memories don't hurt me unless I choose them to. But still...

Anyone else has experience in this area?

2. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

Re: Dating of people with personality disorders (narcissists, sociopaths, psychopaths

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I myself have not experienced this.

3. d-pressed

d-pressed Well-Known Member

Re: Dating of people with personality disorders (narcissists, sociopaths, psychopaths

Hello

Your experience sounds as though it was terrifying. You're through the other end now, you need to reflect and understand your feelings - you've recognised that because you're posting on this forum about it. After that, I think time will be the healer, and eventually your perceptions will change again - you will see it as a situation you can prevent from re-occuring, a valuable lesson. These experiences are what defines you as a person.

Thinking of the here and now though while you're going through this process, are you taking medication or seeing a therapist to help you along? It might help you while it is likely that emotion will distort your thought processes and prevent you from thinking in a more rational or positive way.

Take care

4. whynotme?

whynotme? Well-Known Member

that could be my exgirlfriend. she was schizophrenic and thought she was a vampire. she tried to kill me by biting my throat, trying to slit my throat and threatening me at point plank range with and arrow head pellet gun. she put my hands in kettle boiled water. she cut my arm open and beat me up pretty bad. she raped me. she tried to kill herself on several occasions and blamed me. she screwed me up so bad.

i dont know if it heelps but, i dont think you ever get over something like that, you just learn to accept it and help you make future decisions?

i am still fucked up because of her...very fucked up.

i make light of this whenever i tell anyone (although i have only told a very small amount of people) make it into a joke because she believed so faithfully that she was a vampire... but it hurts, so much...

much much love to you, i know how it feels...
    xxx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.