Dating while depressed?

Hey all
Lately Ive met someone for whom Ive developed feelings. She knows about all my depression story.
Now Im not sure if dating while depressed is a good idea? I fear that i could have a relapse when she doesnt reciprocate the feelings.
Also, my medication has an adverse effect on my libido.. Has anyone had experience dealing with this in a relationsip?

Auri

🎸🎶Metal Star🎵🥁
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Hi @richard 1998 . I'm sorry about your depression, and I understand your fear. There is no theory on whether dating while depressed is a good or a bad idea. However, there are a few points to think about.

Where in your depression are you? Are you getting treatment, are you improving? If you do feel vulnerable right now, and a rejection would be a terrible endeavour for you, perhaps it is indeed not the best idea for you. In that case, sometimes even being friends with someone we have other feelings for is difficult and can make you miserable. Another thing to consider is how is your relationship with yourself. How is your self-esteem? Do you feel you have the strength right now to take care of a relationship?

So if you feel confident enough, that you do understand the potential risks that everyone faces in such a situation, then getting yourself out there can be for the better. You need to remember that if she does reject you, nothing will have changed in your current situation. It can either turn into something positive, or not change anything. Everyone goes through disappointments when looking for love, and the fact that you are trying is a success. It hurts to be rejected, of course, but it is not a failure anyway, it is part of your journey until finding the right person for you. The reality is that you have to try to find them.

Now if she doesn't reject you, taking care of a relationship is hard. You will have to make some efforts, and to understand that sometimes things don't work out. Perhaps you will make some mistakes, and that should make you grow and learn for the next time rather than tear you down. It happens to everyone. She can also make mistakes, and that will not be your fault. Good communication is the most important part of a relationship. In the end, if you both communicate well, nothing can stop you.

Finally, how can you prevent your depression to be a problem in your relationship? There is a fine line between sharing about your pain with your partner and get support, and including the depression as a "part" of your relationship and let the negativity stain both of you, as well as the relationship itself. I also find that a lot of people expect their partner to be the solution to their depression. Sometimes it can be, but that is only if you are in the right mindset and that you accept what I wrote here, because your partner is not there to fix your mental health issues, that is not their job.

I could say a lot more, but you only asked one question. :P I hope this doesn't discourage you, I'd rather be preventive than careless. No one is perfect, and perhaps you do struggle with one of these points. If so, write to us about us, talk to your therapist about it, and hopefully you will be in a good place to start dating. The answer entirely depends on you. How do you feel about dating right now, or soon? :)

Hi @richard 1998 . I'm sorry about your depression, and I understand your fear. There is no theory on whether dating while depressed is a good or a bad idea. However, there are a few points to think about.

Where in your depression are you? Are you getting treatment, are you improving? If you do feel vulnerable right now, and a rejection would be a terrible endeavour for you, perhaps it is indeed not the best idea for you. In that case, sometimes even being friends with someone we have other feelings for is difficult and can make you miserable. Another thing to consider is how is your relationship with yourself. How is your self-esteem? Do you feel you have the strength right now to take care of a relationship?

So if you feel confident enough, that you do understand the potential risks that everyone faces in such a situation, then getting yourself out there can be for the better. You need to remember that if she does reject you, nothing will have changed in your current situation. It can either turn into something positive, or not change anything. Everyone goes through disappointments when looking for love, and the fact that you are trying is a success. It hurts to be rejected, of course, but it is not a failure anyway, it is part of your journey until finding the right person for you. The reality is that you have to try to find them.

Now if she doesn't reject you, taking care of a relationship is hard. You will have to make some efforts, and to understand that sometimes things don't work out. Perhaps you will make some mistakes, and that should make you grow and learn for the next time rather than tear you down. It happens to everyone. She can also make mistakes, and that will not be your fault. Good communication is the most important part of a relationship. In the end, if you both communicate well, nothing can stop you.

Finally, how can you prevent your depression to be a problem in your relationship? There is a fine line between sharing about your pain with your partner and get support, and including the depression as a "part" of your relationship and let the negativity stain both of you, as well as the relationship itself. I also find that a lot of people expect their partner to be the solution to their depression. Sometimes it can be, but that is only if you are in the right mindset and that you accept what I wrote here, because your partner is not there to fix your mental health issues, that is not their job.

I could say a lot more, but you only asked one question. :P I hope this doesn't discourage you, I'd rather be preventive than careless. No one is perfect, and perhaps you do struggle with one of these points. If so, write to us about us, talk to your therapist about it, and hopefully you will be in a good place to start dating. The answer entirely depends on you. How do you feel about dating right now, or soon? :)
Ive been to therapy for around 2 and a half years. During the summer, I was feeling pretty good, but lately its been a bit worse. When I manage to keep myself busy, I feel ok. I know that the only one with the solution to my depression is well... me. The last years have been rough; most of the time Ive been coping with stuff from my childhood. This is also a topic where we understand each other really well; my father seems like a copy of her mom.
On another note, Im also a bit worried because there is no real sexual attraction. She is beautiful, but due to my medication I very rarely think about that kind of stuff...

Innocent Forever

🐒🥜🍌
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
On another note, Im also a bit worried because there is no real sexual attraction. She is beautiful, but due to my medication I very rarely think about that kind of stuff...
You don't need to worry about it until it's a worry. It's up to her to know if she is happy with what you are giving or not. She is the only person who can know. If you are unable to give her what she needs you can always go to a sex addiction counsellor and get help.

Karlski

my medication has an adverse effect on my libido.. Has anyone had experience dealing with this in a relationsip?
I was on Citalopram for a while and despite having no problems getting hard, I absolutely could not climax no matter how much I tried. My gf at the time saw my inability to climax as something to do with the way I was seeing her, but after I explained the issue she seemed kind of OK.

My current gf now is on the same meds, and surprise she suffers with the same issue I did. Struggles to climax

Being depressed is easily enough to kill the libido, but I would suggest that meds can aggravate the problem - I hope you pick it up soon amigo.

Auri

🎸🎶Metal Star🎵🥁
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Ive been to therapy for around 2 and a half years. During the summer, I was feeling pretty good, but lately its been a bit worse. When I manage to keep myself busy, I feel ok. I know that the only one with the solution to my depression is well... me. The last years have been rough; most of the time Ive been coping with stuff from my childhood. This is also a topic where we understand each other really well; my father seems like a copy of her mom.
The sexual attraction shouldn't worry you. First, because indeed, your medication has a big impact on libido. When the time comes and it becomes an issue in your couple, you can talk to your psychiatrist and see your options. Since you're not the first one to have that side effect, I am sure there are solutions. Also, sexual attraction can develop with time, especially in such situations when it's more difficult. The most important will be good communication with your girlfriend.

The limit between a real friendship and a romantic relationship (RR) is different for everyone, so ask yourself what "elements" you need with her. Do you want exclusivity, which is more of a RR characteristic? Do you feel like you can have an emotional connection with a friend? What makes a RR for you? Is it okay for you to just stay friends with her? Or maybe you can also give it some more time, if you aren't sure right now.

The limit between a real friendship and a romantic relationship (RR) is different for everyone, so ask yourself what "elements" you need with her. Do you want exclusivity, which is more of a RR characteristic? Do you feel like you can have an emotional connection with a friend? What makes a RR for you? Is it okay for you to just stay friends with her? Or maybe you can also give it some more time, if you aren't sure right now.
Hmm im not so sure tbh. I do feel like i can have an emotional connection with her and id look for exclusivity in a rr. Im ok with just staying friends, but i think id prefer a relationship. Im just not sure, especially regarding the exclusivity part: she really likes being flirted at by strangers but never ends up hooking up. I feel as though id have a problem with that, even though its just a fun game for her. Anyway perhaps thats not so important foe now... Im just not so sure yet.

Auri

🎸🎶Metal Star🎵🥁
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Hmm im not so sure tbh. I do feel like i can have an emotional connection with her and id look for exclusivity in a rr. Im ok with just staying friends, but i think id prefer a relationship. Im just not sure, especially regarding the exclusivity part: she really likes being flirted at by strangers but never ends up hooking up. I feel as though id have a problem with that, even though its just a fun game for her. Anyway perhaps thats not so important foe now... Im just not so sure yet.
Do you think she would stop the flirting if she committed to a relationship? :)

Hey @richard 1998 . How is it going? Did you decide to keep it friendly between you and your friend? :)
Hey there!
I didnt end up asking her, since her financial situation worsened during the past month and I noticed that she was very stressed.. I helped her a lot regarding the legal part, but she ended up not wanting to go through with it.. I dont want to be too invested in that part. In the end, its not up to me to decide how her relationship with her family (also money wise) is going to be.
Lets see how everything works out. idk why, but right now i dont really feel like dating anymore...

Auri

🎸🎶Metal Star🎵🥁
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Hey there!
I didnt end up asking her, since her financial situation worsened during the past month and I noticed that she was very stressed.. I helped her a lot regarding the legal part, but she ended up not wanting to go through with it.. I dont want to be too invested in that part. In the end, its not up to me to decide how her relationship with her family (also money wise) is going to be.
Lets see how everything works out. idk why, but right now i dont really feel like dating anymore...
Oki. ;)
You don't feel like dating because you have other things on your mind? or because your mental health prevents you from it and you're not motivated?

well its more about my mental health.. Im not even sure what it is, but I just dont feel comfortable at times... its not that I dont like my looks or something like that... I just feel off... Recently Ive also had some occasions where I caught myself having abandonment issues and overthinking stuff. Im trying to work on these things (together with my therapist) but well that takes its time.
Finally I dont feel stressed out to find a partner; Im only 21.
I just really want to go back to "old-me" or "normal-me"... There was a pretty long time (4 years) during high school where I didnt have many problems with my depression at all... Well Im happy that my family issues are going in the right direction, but its not quite over yet...
I dont believe / I dont want to think, that the depression is going to be a part of me for the rest of my life... Afterall, the main reason I got depressed several time, was my abusive father... And well, Ill probably start looking for a partner again, when Im back at 100% (i'd say im at 70% or so right now)

Auri

🎸🎶Metal Star🎵🥁
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
well its more about my mental health.. Im not even sure what it is, but I just dont feel comfortable at times... its not that I dont like my looks or something like that... I just feel off... Recently Ive also had some occasions where I caught myself having abandonment issues and overthinking stuff. Im trying to work on these things (together with my therapist) but well that takes its time.
Finally I dont feel stressed out to find a partner; Im only 21.
I just really want to go back to "old-me" or "normal-me"... There was a pretty long time (4 years) during high school where I didnt have many problems with my depression at all... Well Im happy that my family issues are going in the right direction, but its not quite over yet...
I dont believe / I dont want to think, that the depression is going to be a part of me for the rest of my life... Afterall, the main reason I got depressed several time, was my abusive father... And well, Ill probably start looking for a partner again, when Im back at 100% (i'd say im at 70% or so right now)
That's really wise of you. :) I'm happy to hear you are going in the right direction, and yes, it does take a long time. I understand, I also don't believe depression is forever, it is only temporary. You can do this!! :)

That's really wise of you. :) I'm happy to hear you are going in the right direction, and yes, it does take a long time. I understand, I also don't believe depression is forever, it is only temporary. You can do this!! :)
Oh and theres something I forgot to mention: My friend has her own demons to battle and she wants and needs someone who is mentally stable, to guide her through all of it...
When this episode started, I expected it to be over in half a year... it feels as though its been an eternity...

Auri

🎸🎶Metal Star🎵🥁
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Oh and theres something I forgot to mention: My friend has her own demons to battle and she wants and needs someone who is mentally stable, to guide her through all of it...
When this episode started, I expected it to be over in half a year... it feels as though its been an eternity...
I understand, but don't get discouraged by the time it takes. As long as you recognize that there is a problem and are moving forward, everything will be okay. Little steps. It's better to heal slowly but efficiently, rather than going through a period of illusory stability which will end up in depression coming back even worse. Don't neglect yourself. Keep using the self-care and therapeutic methods even when it seems like it's over. Your hope and your will to get better are indispensable. ♡

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00