dats wacist

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Xaos, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

2. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

Wasn't Lenny Henry the first ethnic minority on the BBC? Though of course he is British being born in Dudley Birmingham so he is a Brummie & anyway the BBC has a lot of ethnic minorities on tv such as those on Eastenders such as Rupert Walker who originally starred on the Thames/London Weekend Television series Love thy Neighbour where he is a neighbour of a racist white guy played by Jack Smethurst. This series will never be aired again though Warren Mitchel's character Alf Garnet in Till Death Us Do Part often is and Alf is racist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Thy_Neighbour
    Love Thy Neighbour is a British sitcom, which was transmitted from 13 April 1972 until 22 January 1976, spanning seven series. The sitcom was produced by Thames Television for the ITV network. The principal cast included Jack Smethurst, Rudolph Walker, Nina Baden-Semper and Kate Williams. In 1973, the series was adapted into a film of the same name, and a later sequel series was set in Australia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Till_Death_Us_Do_Part_(British_TV_series)
    Till Death Us Do Part is a British television sitcom that aired on BBC1 from 1965 to 1975. First airing as a Comedy Playhouse pilot, the show aired in seven series until 1975. Six years later, ITV continued the sitcom, calling it Till Death.... From 1985 to 1992, the BBC produced a sequel In Sickness and in Health.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2014
  3. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Why? "Whites" aren't a minority nor under-represented in Europe, Australia and North America. You own three of the six habitable continents on Earth. It's not enough that you own all the media, too, I see.

Anyway, in the USA, we "Blacks" have created our own universities, businesses, and media to refrain from having to beg to be represented in yours. I don't know why some "white" people seem to take issue with this, considering your ownership of a whole civilization. The only people I see who think getting more representation of non-"whites" is a problem are segregationists; not just white ones, by the way.

I guess I deliberately missed any intended sarcasm to make a real point.

4. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

Apparently something like 15% of the British population are so called 'people of colour' but on TV it's 5% so...

If you live where I live though, and I'm sure it's the same for most of the country, it more like 1% of the population are 'POC'...

I'm just waiting to see a fairer representation of indigenous Brits (or even Europeans (Whites) in general) in certain sports and the music industry and working as doctors, but hey, I won't hold my breath...

5. Prinnctopher's Belt

There isn't an indigenous human on this earth that isn't of color.

Here, take this time machine. Go back about 35.000 years before Present in Europe. There, you can happily live amongst nothing but Cro-Magnons. Or I could send you to the distant future where hardly anyone on this Earth, European or otherwise, will be able to accurately identify as "white" due to our advancements away from the social constructs, or constraints, of racial classifications between equally human beings.

My goodness am I glad for miscegenation.

6. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

So, the Aussie Abbos and the Native Americans, for example, didn't emigrate?

7. Prinnctopher's Belt

Last I checked they are people of color ...

8. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

social construct when it suits you, real when it doesn't...

9. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

I didn't say they wasn't, you said, basically "europeans aren't indigenous to europe" so i asked that, read what I said again, please...

10. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

Though I am inclined to agree that racial categories generally blur... at the edges, at least, kind of like a colour chart...

11. Prinnctopher's Belt

Maybe any sarcasm is lost on me, but I don't believe there are any living humans that are indigenous to Europe. We migrated from Africa circa 65,000 years ago. Well, some of us migrated out... but we share ancestors indigenous to Africa.

12. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

OK, I think I've just had a brain fart, but anyway... I hope this clears up our misunderstanding:

What I was getting at is, people generally describe the Americans and Abbos as being indigenous, but, if we are to be consistent with your 'no such thing as indigenous European' line of thinking, then the Americans and Abbos aren't indigenous either, seeing as they too, emigrated from Africa...

13. Prinnctopher's Belt

Precisely. Living humans are indigenous to Africa and are naturally nomadic to survive. Which is why it doesn't reasonably follow that "indigenous Europeans" need more representation over people of color, since - we just demonstrated - there are no indigenous people who are not of color. Perhaps those with albinism or vitiligo, but even their ancestors are the same as mine on a distant timeline: African. Color.

If a society is predominantly people of one heritage, and a demographic that is 15% another heritage - or about one in every seven people - only gets 1% representation, then there is a deficit I fail to see as anything other than unfair, and unrepresentative, culture of inequality. So I reiterate my original post, that you segregationists need to grow with the times and realize the majority of humans in this world are non-"whites" and you will share it with us.

Or jump in the time machine to go beat rocks together with Cro-Magnons and Neanderthals.

14. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

Last time I checked I wasn't a segregationist, let me check again... Nope, still not... Just don't like quotas, sorry... Like I mentioned, there are occupations like Doctors, certain sports and athletic events, and the mainstream music industry that one could argue have over representation of 'people of colour', why don't we extend this quota nonsense to them? And seeing as the Asian Network and 1 Xtra are Asian (as in Indian subcontinent Asian) and African (Black) stations respectively, why don't we extend quota bullshit to that too?

15. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

As for sharing the world with you, well, you're more than welcome to help yourself to my share of the world, you might be woefully disappointed to find out I haven't got much to share though...

No more than you at least, maybe? Maybe I'm well off the mark, but I imagine Washington to be quite a well to do place...

16. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

To be completely fucking honest, having a Asian Network is stupid in and of itself, based upon my admittedly limited experience, it caters to Hindus and Muslims, and whilst you won't find that many White Hindus, they do exist, and there's quite a lot of White Muslims in Eastern Europe, and from pretty much every other 'race' in the world, it would be better to just have a Hindu and a Muslim Network, seeing as anyone can convert, though personally I'd prefer the religious stuff to be left to the history books as an inspiration for fictional entertainment, but whatever... And as for 1Xtra, well, I'm pretty sure they've dropped it now, but their radio slogan used to be 'love Black music, love 1Xtra' ...Once when I tuned in, they played the slogan then proceeded to unironically play 'Black or White' by MJ, lol, yeah, it doesn't matter, does it? That's why you're bringing race into it... Though like I said, pretty sure they've changed that now...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2014
  17. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

This is the UK... it's difficult for Britain's to adjust to the cultures of the world the way it has. So I can understand your stance because the media vigorously highlights migrant issues.

It's a pretty compressed deal over here in the UK, and I'm not sure this is the smartest move. It's a delicate thing to graft social aspects, and AGAIN, this is Britain forcing a solution, instead of understanding and allowing something to mature properly. Indirectly they are removing the challenge and fights for individual/cultural rights, and acceptance by their peers and by the populous. Which is the major issue. It's just allowing people to consider this seeds for future discrimination. Poor move. They should expand on culture and find people who have a genuine interest and skill to fill those enhanced sections. Not too sure on the specifics of this situation, but I frown upon forced % of acceptance for any minority unless it's in some fashion dealing with repercussions from past crimes of the society. This is purely integration. Fucking UK, wannabe social HQ of the world. It's sorta working.. sorta.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.