David Hume quote (probably shouldn't read)

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by InnerStrength, Apr 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InnerStrength

InnerStrength Well-Known Member

"If suicide be supposed a crime, it is only cowardice can impel us to it. If it be no crime, both prudence and courage should engage us to rid ourselves at once of existence when it becomes a burden.
    It is the only way that we can then be useful to society, by setting an example which, if imitated, would preserve every one his chance for happiness in life, and would effectually free him from all danger or misery"

--David Hume, Essay on Suicide

I've read this quote by the philosopher David Hume so many times. "Free from all danger or misery" that just seems so...perfect. So peaceful, no pressures, just utter nothingness. And especially, no anxiety, no agorophobia. If I had a surefire way to end it, I probably would have been dead long ago. I should've known there was something wrong with me when I tried to kill myself at the age of thirteen. Just... so...tired, my mind's a blank.
  2. I'm getting rather sick of people, including myself, who absolutely reject pain. Those people who hate pain so much they refuse to be associated with it, they take drugs to remove it, people think it's strong to remove pain, but all i see are people ignoring pain, and when it comes to them strongly they have no past experiences to help them cope with it.

There's something beautiful in someone who cries, someone who screams. It's become a rare thing that people have no understanding of. Our social and cultural structure has no room for pain, that uneasiness you get in a public place when you think about letting it all out, the reality that some people will tell you to get a room or shut up. It's a highly suppressed type of feeling no-one wants to feel... and i'm sorry but if that's your reason for suicide, you're an idiot.
  3. InnerStrength

Gee, thanks for the support, you dumbfuck. I've had many educated people say I'm intelligent so your opinion is, shall we say, invalid. If you think there is something beatiful to be found in pain, it looks like you're the idiot here. You don't feel the intensity of someone else's pain, so you can't judge whats an invalid reason or not. But, given your crass, rude, and generally insensitive behavior, perhaps you deserve yours. And I could care less if I get banned with this post or not, it's not like there's much help to be found here anyway. Your post is a primary example of that.

I don't even know why I'm explaining myself to you...but I feel everyone else's pain. Whether it be seeing a disabled person on the street, or being around my handicapped brother, I get a rush of Physical and emotional pain because I can't deal with it. So, really, unless you plan to go above the insightfulness of a half-brained rat, I'd stop posting in threads.
  4. bunny

bunny Staff Alumni

can we please not turn this thread into yet another insult contest

Corroded, it is not up to you nor anyone else to define what makes something a valid reason for feeling suicidal, this forum is based on supporting people in pain not belittling them for it

InnerStrength, please try not to respond to provocation, if you have a problem with a reply to a post please inform a mod or admin

i can see some sence in Corrded's reply but with a different conclusion, i dont think pain should be ignored and pushed to the side, its not healthy to do so, its also not too smart to just stand in the street and scream, if youre in pain you need to find out why and deal with it so you can move on and feel better about it, you shouldnt forget that you hurt because if you feel the pain again you wont know how to deal again
  5. InnerStrength

Whatever, I'm done posting in this thread anyway. The lack of insight in this thread is intolerable. I only reject pain because I've dealt with so much of it, geez, was it THAT hard to guess? I can't deal with the immaturity of people anymore, I'm just done.
  6. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

The first thing to realize about that quote is that Hume died a fat old man, peacefully in his bed. Meaning he was a bit of a shit-stirrer and kept a wide gap between what he published and how he lived his life. (Though this essay may have only been published after his death, I honestly forget.)

BTW, you can find similar quotes and thoughts in various philosophers, there's really nothing unique about Hume in this instance. I'm thinking particularly of the Stoics, Marcus Aurelius and in particular (Epictetus, the other most well known Stoic, actually opposed suicide in most instances.)

Arthur Schopenhauer also wrote an essay on suicide, which is actually a bit shorter than what Hume wrote. It is also arguably the more famous. Arthur was another one went on to live a long life and die at an old age.
  7. I didnt mean to insult, only put forward a valid point. I think you'll find i put more thought into what i say than a "half brained rat".

Those who would rather give up life than feel pain... life is a mixture of pain and happiness, from what i've seen in life everyone tries too hard to remove pain from their life, instead of accepting it. I'm not saying i'm a person who loves pain, i'm saying i can appreciate it for what it is. It keeps us alive.

Sorry if i wasnt more sensitive, but most of your post was about a written theory on justifying suicide, so i put my own thoughts forward on that topic.
  8. InnerStrength

So, you didn't mean to insult me when you said "you're an idiot" interesting, doesn't make sense very much, but interesting. Anyway, looking beyond that yes life is a mixture of pain and happiness, but when pain dominates that is when Hume's essay starts to become valid. At least to some extent. Being mildly insane from thirteen on really makes one question on whether life is worth it or not.

If you look at existance closely enough, it's just so very...unsatisfying. I don't care if our brains are the most complex constructs in the universe, it's still dreadfully simple and primitive. Sometimes, for some, life is not worth living what would appear to be a small amount pain, it's really their decision and more based on emotion than intelligence. In my life, there's a large amount of pain, but that is besides the point.

It always staggers me when people say "Life is worth it!" well, good, maybe for you life is, but not everybody views life in the same manner. And I honestly hate when people mention God to me. A lot of people I've encountered who believe in God (in a strong manner) seem to be ignorant to the vast amounts of unjust suffering in this world. Perhaps if more people would open themselves up, and actually SEE and FEEL all the suffering and evil on this planet they might not feel so ecstatic about "life." But, ignorance is bliss, as they say.

Anyway, pain is just a primitive mechanism for survival, exploited by the human race in terrible, terrible ways. It'll also be our downfall. Why the hell would I want to experience something as awful as that, over and over again?

EDIT: And why should I accept pain, that's just stupid, and masochistic. Pain wasn't meant to be accepted, it was meant to be avoided, that's kind of the point of pain to begin with. Don't do something that causes physical or mental pain, that's the message it sends.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2007
  9. I think this is where i disagree with him "preserve his chance for happiness in life" in my opinion this is just false. Suicide as it is, terminates any future chance of happiness or misery. The few religious stances on suicide i've heard are against the act outright, so i also doubt any man yearning for an afterlife will achieve it through this act.

I suppose the only good point for suicide i can acknowledge is "freedom from danger or misery" that much is a given. Suicide... Death seems to be the ultimate freedom. If i've misread Hume's words, let me know.

On a more personal note i have also been mentally disturbed from my early teens, always thinking abstract things, i never actually manifested my skills into anything useful, and i never developed an interest in any subjects as most people did. Never had my love requited either, though instead of a rejection they refused to answer me, which didn't help. I'm 18 now (full legal adult) and i can't help but feel useless, things amuse me now instead of inspiring me, other people are hard relate to, and even harder to maintain friendship with. And more recently i decided against seeking help about my problems, i think i let it become a part of who i am...

For me there is no real pain or happiness in my life which compels me to keep going. The only peace i find is in my own surreal mind, which i have to wake up from sometimes to get yelled at. Through alot of thinking i managed to realise what my reason for living was, i thought a long time something everyone needs to keep striving to survive. "To Feel". And i've failed that, and i continue to fail at that. This Second mind i use to reflect on who i am does not matter in the end, when i act naturally i'm numb, and no amount of self loathing, or self motivation has managed to change that.
  10. InnerStrength

Well, yes, I would agree that part of that quote is false. Because suicide terminates all emotions, and thus happiness. One could argue though that the mere prospect of suicide can create a temporary happiness, though. But, it also terminates misery, so that's where the "Freedom from danger and misery" steps in, as you pointed out.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.