• IMPORTANT: Covid-19 can only be discussed on this site in terms of SUPPORT. There is a covid-19 support forum and a covid-19 support chat for people needing support around this topic. There is a thread in Forum News and Announcements explaining this further. Please read it.

DBT group

Butterfly

Sim Addict
Staff Alumni
SF Author
SF Supporter
Hi all,

I have been referred to DBT group therapy. Has anyone done DBT either on their own or in a group? Did it help?

justrob

Keep on keeping on.
I have not gone through DBT. I know somethings about it. I have talked to people who have completed it, and it was very helpful for them. It was created by Marsha Linehan, building on CBT. It has been shown in clinical trials to be of great benefit to those with with very difficult emotional disregulation. Those with BPD, and suicidal teens specifically. It's been a while but if I remember correctly almost everyone with BPD (I cite this group because this is the group the research used) have suicidal ideation. 60-70% attempt and 10% succeed. After DBT those numbers drop. Suicide rate dropped from 10% to 1%, 30-40% are more or less cured and another 30-40% are able to manage symptoms and live a highly functional life.

I would encourage you to enroll in DBT.

You can search the forums for the term DBT.

Here is a good lecture by Marsha Linehan:
. I visited the University of Washington and took a selfie in front of her office.

FYI @Witty_Sarcasm

justrob

Keep on keeping on.
The reason I am a big proponent of DBT is that I have had a clean clear mind for 3.5 years after experiencing a moment of radical acceptance. You can read about it in my story. You can read about Marsha Linehan's moment of radical acceptance here: https://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/23/health/23lives.html . Radical Acceptance is a core principle in DBT. Echart Tolle describes a similar experience on page 4 of "The Power of Now." A few others I have met had an experience like this.

justrob

Keep on keeping on.
The reason I am a big proponent of DBT is because I have had a clean clear mind for 3.5 years. I had a moment of radical acceptance that you can read about in my story, although I do not call it radical acceptance in that writing because it wasn't until later when I came across the DBT and the vocabulary. You can read about Marsha Linehan's radical acceptance experience here: https://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/23/health/23lives.html . Radical Acceptance is an integral part of DBT and it is a life changer. Exhart Tolle describes a moment of acceptance when everything changed for him on page 4 of "The Power of Now." Others I have met also had a moment like this that changed their life. Many who go through DBT do not have a singular moment like that, but they work toward the idea and understanding of the concept and by learning to practice radical acceptance they find relief.

na-taya

I have done DBT group therapy and also have do a few other groups that had DBT aspects to them I guess you would say.

The DBT group therapy at least here in Aussie land was an intense program it ran for 1 year and each week it consisted of both weekly group session and then one on one therapy sessions also. It requires you to do home work each week as well. I know at times I found it very difficult to understand and see how some of the things they offered would work, and often I thought it was all just a bunch of bullshit. However it began to sink in after awhile and I got a better understanding. When I did it the course was 6 months worth of content and then the second 6 months was just covering the same stuff just to make sure it had sunk in.
I found the group setting to be quiet difficult and had to focus on myself and not other members of the group, I am more often than not willing to help other. I also found that I wanted to hold different conversations that my group members. I personally do not like being open about my hospital admission and my history that goes with that but the other group members just wanted to talk about that stuff.
I did find the content helpful and I still use a lot of it today to help me try and maintain.
I believe it is worth while but again all of this is just my personal experience I can in no way speak for anybody else.

Did they give you an idea of when it may begin? I know here I was on the wait list for a year before I got offered my place and they try and keep the group from getting to big.

I found it helpful and it's assist with all the other thing i do to try and keep myself mental well. I hope you will hear soon about when you may be accepted to start

justrob

Keep on keeping on.
The DBT group therapy at least here in Aussie land was an intense program it ran for 1 year and each week it consisted of both weekly group session and then one on one therapy sessions also. It requires you to do home work each week as well.
That seems to be the standard practice in the US as well.

Thank you for responding.

Butterfly

Sim Addict
Staff Alumni
SF Author
SF Supporter
I have done DBT group therapy and also have do a few other groups that had DBT aspects to them I guess you would say.

The DBT group therapy at least here in Aussie land was an intense program it ran for 1 year and each week it consisted of both weekly group session and then one on one therapy sessions also. It requires you to do home work each week as well. I know at times I found it very difficult to understand and see how some of the things they offered would work, and often I thought it was all just a bunch of bullshit. However it began to sink in after awhile and I got a better understanding. When I did it the course was 6 months worth of content and then the second 6 months was just covering the same stuff just to make sure it had sunk in.
I found the group setting to be quiet difficult and had to focus on myself and not other members of the group, I am more often than not willing to help other. I also found that I wanted to hold different conversations that my group members. I personally do not like being open about my hospital admission and my history that goes with that but the other group members just wanted to talk about that stuff.
I did find the content helpful and I still use a lot of it today to help me try and maintain.
I believe it is worth while but again all of this is just my personal experience I can in no way speak for anybody else.

Did they give you an idea of when it may begin? I know here I was on the wait list for a year before I got offered my place and they try and keep the group from getting to big.

I found it helpful and it's assist with all the other thing i do to try and keep myself mental well. I hope you will hear soon about when you may be accepted to start
Thank you. It's to help me with impulsivity when I am low and for my self esteem issues. The waiting list is about a year but I'm not sure how long it will run for. Not sure how big the group is either but I'd imagine not too big.

kittykatt

My therapist wanted me to do the DBT but the guy in charge of it didn't want me in the group due to my suicidal tendencies so for now it's been put on hold. I really wanted to do it.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$255.00
Goal
$255.00