DBT

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Petal, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I will be starting DBT therapy next month, I am wondering if anyone has any experience with it? What is it like? Much pressure put on you? Any insight or advice would be very much appreciated.

2. Petal

Anyone? *bumping?* :p

3. carebear35

carebear35 Active Member

My psychologist wants to start DBT with me too. Sorry I can't help. Seems we're in the same boat. *stroke, stroke, stroke...*

4. Same here I was told I should but haven't had the money available to do so yet.

5. na-taya

na-taya Well-Known Member

Are you doing it in a group??

I'm currently 5months into a 12 year group that hase both group and individual sessions. It takes a lot to get use to as it's learning new was to cope that have just become second nature to you.....there is a lot of homework to do And on top of that I also have to do a diary card, but I find the diary cards not helpful as it only focus on bad emotions..... I am yet to have a big break through.... I was expecting a lot more from it, but who not to say the second 6months won't deliver.

I hope that DBT is just what you need and works well for you...keep us updated about it and how you find it....

Sorry if my words are rubbish and not helpful or wanted sorry.

4 people like this.
  6. Petal

Thank you na taya! Of course your words are welcome and appreciated, I hope the second half of the year works out fine for you. I am doing it individually, I've heard that you have to put in most of the work in which will be really hard. Please keep us updated.

7. na-taya

na-taya Well-Known Member

It is a lot of work essentially it's changing the bath ways in your brain that have been your fall back for many years. So it takes a lot of practice to form new pathways and make them habbit And because they are so unfamiliar it's hard to remember to do them, my price of advice is practice the skills even when.you are.not distressed so you can learn them and they come a bit easier to you....I wish you all the best with your dbt

8. Petal

Thanks for explaining that. It's very helpful to know ahead of time. I'm looking forward to it.

9. Purple_Thorn

Purple_Thorn Well-Known Member

I'm going to be starting DBT in about two weeks. I know that I'll be working with an individual therapist once a week and be in group therapy at least once a week. My hospital psychiatrist thinks it will be really beneficial for me... I hope so.
    DBT sounds interesting. Trying to make your logical side and emotional side work together in harmony. I definitely need help with that.

10. AngelofPainandMisery

AngelofPainandMisery Fails to communicate effectively

I did DBT a few years ago, it didn't help much because I felt intimidated most of the time (btw I was in it for about 6-7 months).
    But I am giving it another chance this time around. Actually, I kind of have no choice, it was a condition of my discharge.
    Anyways good luck with it and I hope it helps!! :)

11. Purple_Thorn

I just had my first group session of DBT. We learned about mindfulness and the wise mind. And I am incredibly stressed from it. But I learned some good stuff. Hopefully I keep learning.

12. silent_chaos

silent_chaos Well-Known Member

Im starting DBT i January. Ive been wanting to do this for a couple of years and there is only one place that is 40 miles one way and 60 miles the others way. Im ready for this. I want to change my thinking and dealing with things like a normal person. To me normal person is a person that knows how to deal with situation that come up and are able to work threw them without help. Not every person is the same though. But I know its going to give me a run for my money "sort of speak". Im reading, willing, and able. Good luck to you all we can cheer eachother on!;):D

13. how often does DBT sessions happen in a week? I am thinking about doing it but not sure I can afford it. My insurance covers it but for a co-pay that I have for every session which is $30 and that adds up really fast. Is it more than once a week?

14. Purple_Thorn

Personally, I have one group session a week and one individual session a week. And the group sessions are pretty damn expensive. I would talk to a Mind, Body, Soul place wherever you live or find a therapist who has a specialty in DBT.

2 people like this.
  15. Thank you. I might actually be able to make that work. For me group therapy will be cheaper because it has a co-pay of only $15 instead of $30 for whatever reason. I might be able to swing $45 a week.

16. fluffypingu

fluffypingu Guest

im starting dbt on the 6th of jan i have previously done some before i because extreamly unwell
    its well worth doing it as it does help

17. Petal

An update:

The psych nurse told me a few weeks back that they are behind and won't be starting the DBT until Feb or March which greatly upset me but there's nothing I can do about it. The psych nurse is really nice and even rang to wish me a happy xmas. One more thing, while I am at the top of their list they cannot guarantee I was definitely get it. Bummer.

18. Purple_Thorn

That really sucks, Petal. One thing you can do is look into a thing called "Mindfulness." It's a huge part of DBT and is pretty helpful. I say you start helping yourself. Mindfulness can be kinda weird but it is one of the most helpful things I have found from being in DBT for roughly a month.

2 people like this.
  19. fluffypingu

fluffypingu Guest

20. silent_chaos

silent_chaos Well-Known Member

Im starting DBT next week and im so stressed and overwhelmed I feel like i could flip out