Dealing w/ PTSD

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by PandorasToybox, Jul 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PandorasToybox

PandorasToybox Well-Known Member

I've been told by many that the only way to deal w/ PTSD is by taking medication. Is this true?

I had a really bad experience w/ antidepressants and choose not to use them.On another forum, when I told someone I didn't like using them, they said I must be into scientology and that they hoped the aliens would take me away soon...
  2. PandorasToybox

This was that persons message to me:

yet my chemical imbalance has been scientificly proven, and meds provide me that peace that comes with balance

are you a scientologist who doesn't believe in getting help?

then you will just have to hope the aliens can help you...not us
  3. Hazel

Hazel SF & Antiquitie's Friend Staff Alumni

I think medication helps get you to a place where you feel able to work on your PTSD. I know that without medication I would never have been able to get to a stage where through Cognitive Behavioural Therapy I learned to live with my 'demons' so they no longer control my life (although they are still there, I can live with them).
    It's difficult to get medication that works for each individual and I believe you need to work with your doctor, trying different ones until you find the one that will work for you. I would urge you not to give up on medication because of a bad experience, the next one you are prescribed may be right for you.

4. TBear

TBear Antiquities Friend

I think that you have to work with your therapist and Pdoc....It can be so different for each person.

I have a daughter who needed meds for about a year, I however have not.
  5. plates

plates Well-Known Member

First of all, the comment you got about your choice not to take medication was horrible and ignorant. I hope you weren't too effected by it. I've had "I'm going to pray for a miracle for you" by an old GP in the past. You know what her medical knowledge was? Sitting and typing into for information.

Listen to yourself. If you've had bad experiences with ADs, then is it worth the risk just because others around you put a lot of weight on medication? What is the effect you're wanting to get out of ADs? Are you seeing a therapist? I had the same effect with ADs, all it did was heighten my "floating out of my body", which was so bad at the time.

I've got better without medication, through using a couple of therapists and with a lot of challenging people out there regarding my treatment in the past, where medication was the be all end all, and I got a lot of comments like the one you had (from many people including those in the medical field).

I personally find I need a little medication now, which is a benzodiazapine for anxiety. But how many people self medicate through drugs anyway? It seems like some people do need drugs (or self harm to cope)- whatever their effect can be, to manage whatever process they are going through, even if it's to dull and numb, which is what medication can do if taken for long periods.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2009
  6. PandorasToybox

I'm sooooo glad someone finally understands what I'm saying! I've spent months trying & researching the meds only to learn they are no better than placebos...whether or not that's true is in everybodys' own opinion.

For me meds don't work. And I dont like the idea of having to medicate for a long period of time. I let the depression & ptsd take over me, I'm looking for control, so why allow a medication to take control now? I understand others have to be medicated and that's fine, but that's just not for me.
  7. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I understand.

I have let feelings wash over me and that's how I got better- I started to write-let out a lot of "uncomfortable feelings" that so many medical people/family etc, want to control/medicate/sweep under the carpet. It's learning how to cope with those feelings which is something that has made me better. What you said about letting it happen is exactly what my first therapist said to me. It's letting it happen- but being aware of what is happening, and trying to prevent too much harm happening to you when it is happening. In that way, there is some control. And with medication too- it's all about knowing what works for you and having control over that too, to take it when needed, and stop it safely.

A lot of the drug pushing by doctors can really bring up the feelings of being out of control when they start not giving you choices, it is frightening but you don't have to take things that have effected you badly. I wish you all the best.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.