Dealing with father attempting suicide

Discussion in 'Welcome' started by dawson1078, Jan 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dawson1078

dawson1078 New Member

Greetings all - Ontario Canada here.
    My 74 yr old father attempted suicide on Friday. Nobody was supposed to be home until 2 in the afternoon, but my brother, on a whim, went there at 9am and found dad after he had only been in the car for a few minutes. He is in the hospital now and in a safe place... but mom and my brother are a mess. To be honest - am kind of a wreck myself at the moment. Being the eldest, I am always sort of the 'in charge' guy when it comes to the family stuff. So, have had to run on adrenaline the last few days - trying to keep the fam from losing it too badly.
    Today - at about 7pm, the scope and depth of what we are all dealing with, including dad, finally kicked in and... holy crap.... my brain is going to explode.

I have been hunting for forums, support groups and more to be able to connect with others that have experienced similar events.

Also desperately searching for support groups/counsellors in my local area in SouthWestern Ontario for mom and brother - to try and deal with their extreme emotions right now.

So - here I am folks. I am eager to go through the forums and information to see what i might glean from it all.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2012
  2. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Oh wow, I'm so sorry to hear that your father attempted's a very difficult thing to deal with. At least now he is safe and hope he is ok. Now he can get the help that he needs. You said that you are the one who holds it all together, but try not to take on too much on your own. It's good that you want to support your family but you need to take sometime to yourself too. I know that you will find great resources and a good support system here.
  3. Tmacster1

Tmacster1 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums. I'm sorry to hear about that your father attempted suicide, and I hope that you find this forum useful in the information you seek. Suicide is a rough thing that everyone may or may not deal with. Depression is another major thing that people may or may not deal with. We hope that you find the support your looking for and remember that your not alone on your pursuits. If you need someone to talk to let me know by pm.

4. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I am really sorry that your dad made an attempt. I just wish I knew about support you can get in Ontario. I am in the US so I just dont know. I will ask a friend though. Someone who is from your province, and is resourceful. I find it amazing that just by coincidence your brother showed up in time to stop the attempt. Seems like it clearly was not his time to leave. Although I know that is of little solice to you at the moment. The attempt surely must be bringing up so much in terms of fear, concerns for tomorrow and the future beyond that. I am going to stop now and ask my friend what she knows any resources. Take good care of you.
  5. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hi Dawson im sorry to hear your father depression caused him to attempt You said you are looking for support for your family If You call Canadian Mental Health Association CMHA they will give you the support you need the number i have is 905-436-8760 they will give you the number you need to call if this is not your area I found them to be so helpful with my family
    Toronto area then call CAMH a hospital that deals only with mental health issues l the number ther is 1 416-535-8501
    they also can give you connections in your area that will give your family support.
    I hope you also can talk to the hospital your father is at now and ask the staff there to supports to be set up before he leaves like follow up care community care okay
    It is so hard for the whole family when someone is hit with depression but you are doing the right thing hun reaching out for support because you alone or your family cannot do this on your own Call Canadian Mental Health or CAMH hospital and make sure your father is not discharged without the proper follow up care you be his voice at the hospital make sure all is in place okay I am glad your father is in a safe place now hun You and your family make sure you rest okay and know that what your father did was not because he wanted to leave it was because he was in too much emotional pain. I do hope he get the help he needs for his depression There is another organization called Interact but that is for people that are more stable further down the line when your father is stronger take care hun if you ever need to talk just pm me okay as i have been where you are with many members of my family hugs
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.