• Apologies for the issue with a bizarre redirect on the site earlier today. There was a large server update and an error in an IP address had the traffic routing wrongly. No hacking or anything nefarious and nothing to worry about. Sorry for any stress/anxiety caused. Very best wishes - SF Admin

Practical Advice Dealing with Relapses

hellyeahwhatever

Hi, it's been a while since last time I was around. It could only mean that none of the non-digital relationship world I have could give me advices nor support. It's sad.

How do you deal with depression relapse? Or maybe it wasn't even a relapse, it was a mood swing and a phase triggered by something that hurt me. Nevertheless, I had planned my weekend to be quite fruitful but after a stupid fight over text I got all awry and went into complete shutdown. Frankly, until now. After almost 4 months being clean from self-harming and after 6 months clean from suicidal thoughts/ideation, last weekend they all came back and I felt really tired. I feel like I'm never getting better.

Currently I'm not in any kinds of meds nor treatments. It's weird. Because having to book a schedule with therapist is already hard enough, and the sessions never concluded with me having to undergo into treatments. Maybe people just perceive me being whiny.

Lekatt

Love Cats Love All
SF Supporter
What advice are you using now to alleviate the depression? It must be working so just keep doing it. I believe relapses are not to be seen as failures, they happen occasionally and become less frequent in time. If you would like a boost you can do affirmations. Write them yourself or use these. They are powerful helps when used regularly.

Affirm

Public Access
I cannot say I've used anything specific personally for when that's happened, as I had a terrible time with many among them (therapy, exercise, etc); but removing distractions and focusing on the now usually helped me. I contacted siblings, scheduled games where I live or at their place to keep me busy, and tried to engross myself in my studies; amongst other life goals I had to do. Basically, keeping your mind occupied from the deep hole that those thoughts can bring. At least, that's what I'm doing currently to avoid relapsing. It additionally brought me deep satisfaction, and made me much happier.

Lekatt

Love Cats Love All
SF Supporter
Yes, keeping busy does help. It keeps you thinking about other more necessary things in life. But it doesn't change the bad thoughts that creep in when you are not busy. I still recommend doing affirmations to change those bad thoughts into good ones. They do work when done on a regular schedule. It's like lifting weights to build muscle, you are building good to replace bad. God bless. Love

Affirm

Public Access
Yes, keeping busy does help. It keeps you thinking about other more necessary things in life. But it doesn't change the bad thoughts that creep in when you are not busy. I still recommend doing affirmations to change those bad thoughts into good ones. They do work when done on a regular schedule. It's like lifting weights to build muscle, you are building good to replace bad. God bless. Love
I think the impact of this, and other such coping mechanisms' effectiveness very much depends upon the cause; and other details around their depression. Affirmations are definitely a good call in this case, and for a lot of other people. My depression lacked a lot of aspects that affirmations work so well for, (low self-esteem, thoughts of failure...), and instead relied upon others, like self-isolation and severe procrastination/inactivity. Busy-ness and goals of achievements sort of helped me build myself up; additionally, giving me something to be proud of. I feel as that solving or coping relies upon a variety of methods in unison, as one by itself only goes so far. I've personally had a negligible experience with a lot of strategies, so I'm usually pretty hesitant to rave about them. No disagreements here.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$255.00