Dealing with spouse who doesn't understand

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by Sad Runner, Jun 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sad Runner

Sad Runner New Member

Hi,

This weekend I was in a dark place, my spouse was away, and, when I reached out to her, wanting to talk on phone, she texted I should cheer up. The only reason I didn't kill myself was there would have been no one to care for the kids.

Last night, when she returned home, I was lectured about how suicide isn't an option, how she can't understand it. Before the lecture I was feeling better, now, I'm worse than over weekend.

Help

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

It's hard when the person you love, doesn't seem to understand mental illness. Perhaps you could take her along with you to see a counsellor, so they can perhaps explain in more detail about mental illness and how it affects people, or get her to research it on the internet.

3. Sad Runner

Sad Runner New Member

Thank you for the suggestion. Part of me is so hurt by what I perceive as her lack of caring and double standard - when she wants to discuss something, we are having a discussion no matter what. When I needed reassurance that she loves me, I'm dismissed.
    I do love her & our kids, and the only thing that keeps me alive is not wanting them to feel the pain and emptiness in their hearts like I feel in mine when I get depressed.

4. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

That's understandable hun. Sometimes loved ones have a really tough time accepting mental illness, partly because it does affect them too and they don't always want to believe it is happening, so if they tell themselves it isn't a problem then there mustn't be one, if that makes sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.