Dealing with stigma of suicidal thoughts

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by roksy, Oct 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roksy

roksy Well-Known Member

How do you deal with the stigma of suicidal ideations and feelings? On top of feeling horrible physically from suicidal ideations there is the added pressure from society that shames us for having these thoughts.

How do you deal with them?

2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

It is hard to deal with often - but it is also the reason for places like this forum - where you can talk to people who understand and do not condemn you for feelings you cannot help. Some places have real life support groups as well or group therapies. The plain fact is that the vast majority of the population has the feelings to some extent or another in their life - and having others admit it scares them - because it makes them realize how close they sometimes are to the same feelings, and because they are too ashamed or weak to admit to understanding these feelings themselves.

I think the bravery of people to admit these feelings is what makes it socially awkward for others - they realize they are actually less brave than the person "with the problem". Use the strength and bravery to help you get through the difficult times.

Take Care and Be Safe

Ben

3. lilodian4ever

lilodian4ever Account Closed

Hello rosky,

Like you, I have also wanted to escape this world for a long time now. However, unlike you, I DON'T GIVE A FLYING FUCK ABOUT WHAT SOCIETY THINKS ABOUT IT. Let me tell you why: A person who has never been rich does not know what it's like to be rich. A person who has never won an Olympic Gold medal does not know what it's like to win one. A person who has never wanted to escape this world has NO FUCKING IDEA what it is like to be depressed and want to escape the world, so they come up with all kinds of BULLSHIT propaganda and attach stigma to suicide, that it does not deserve. If you think about it, the root cause of that is that the world does not tolerate those who are different. People have a pack mentality, like wolves do. Birds of a feather flock together, and all the so called "normal, happy" people stick together and stigmatize and criticize people like us who are not "normal" or "happy".

It is simply a matter of perspective. If you are true to yourself, you should not care what society thinks (I don't, the choice is yours).

4. Ally54

Ally54 Member

I agree. It is impossible if you have a professional life. I usually don't talk about it.

5. roksy

roksy Well-Known Member

Yes it is difficult to deal with this with people. There are many things that we feel the stigma by society but talking about suicidal thoughts is especially polarizing as it is really not talked about at all, and if it is it is talked about in extremely negative terms.

6. Davekyn

Davekyn Banned Member

Hi Rosky ... I like the topic. Very thought provoking and practical in the sense of looking in the right direction. I don't know the answers myself, but like many others, am currently in turmoil trying to make what sense I can. I do prefer to seek out what positive information I can, but often get lost in my racing thoughts. Just wanted to say ... Great Topic!

7. roksy

roksy Well-Known Member

Hi Davekyn,

Thanks. Yeah I understand what you mean. There is not much support for people who have suicidal ideations. I can't make much sense of them either. It doesn't help much when one is trying to deal with things on their own and there is not much space to do that.

8. flowerchild

flowerchild Member

Good topic! As far as the stigma, I look it as just being an un-empathetic viewpoint generated by some people's opinions, which just adds more negativity to an already painful situation. Come to think of it, that may be the driving factor behind me distancing myself from my friends and most of my family. It feels as though they can look into my eyes and perceive that they see something dark that should be pitied, or worse yet, recoil from in disgust. I wonder what they would think if when I saw another poster or bumper-sticker that said "Life is Good" and it made me hurl, pffft...

To answer your question, I deal with the outside stigma by isolating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.