Dealing with the Emotion

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by InTheMatrix, May 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InTheMatrix

InTheMatrix Active Member

I don't feel the same anymore. Bex is better now. She doesn't cut. I still feel emotionally detached, though. The feelings of sick worry are still there. I'm angry at the world for making the girl I love go through this. I still can be happy, but after a little while I get depressed. I know enough from Bex not to self harm, and my depression isn't bad enough for that...but I just don't feel right. Can anyone help?

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

try taking a warm bath or going for a walk try doing something kind for you instead of something bad. you have coped so far so keep coping okay the feeling will be over soon so just try keep your mind busy okay

3. spiritxfade

spiritxfade Well-Known Member

I know. I've seen Bex go through it, I've seen the scars she gave herself. I can still see them today. Bex keeps telling me not to do what she did. She wants me to promise to never cut, so I won't cut. As such, I have tried various things to distract myself from the negative thoughts.

I agree completely with violet: do something good for yourself. Keep your mind busy- read, draw, write, play a sport, etc. Just focus on doing something. If you ever do feel the need to self harm, distract your hands, too.

Hope this helps. And violet is right, you've coped really well all this time. Keep it up. :) if you want to talk more, I'm always available.

4. InTheMatrix

InTheMatrix Active Member

Thanks Violet and Kiyun for being supportive. The distractions do help.

5. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

I find that classical music can help calm me down. Doesn't work for everybody, and sounds really cliche. Still, it helps me.

6. MadeOfGlass

MadeOfGlass Well-Known Member

The important thing to remember is think about yourself. I know you care about her tons and tons and tons, but if you get depressed in the process, neither one of you will be better off. You just have to know your limit, so you don't get hurt. :hug:

7. spiritxfade

spiritxfade Well-Known Member

Sarah's right. Don't worry about her so much that you stress yourself out, okay? Stress does not help when you're feeling down. Trust me on this. And don't worry so much that you begin feeling down. That's definitely, definitely, DEFINITELY not a good idea.

On a more positive note, I'm glad the distractions help. Another is physical excercise. Sometimes when I'm feeling down, running around and exhausting myself helps a bit, if only temporarily. And being around people helps a lot, too. Especially if you're talking with people, that's an amazing distraction.

8. MadeOfGlass

MadeOfGlass Well-Known Member

Oh! Almost forgot-this may/may not work for you, but whenever I get down, or something like that, I either:

a) Chug a Monster and hang out with friends (the xtra energy helps me fake being happy long enough to actually be happy) and go act like a dork. Really gets your spirits up.

b)Curl up on the couch with my favorite movies and forget about everything thats not on the screen. Totally gets your mind off of everything for a while. I'd recomend a chick flick, but I don't know what kinda movies you're into. :p

:lol!: Hope this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.