Death by Voluntary Fasting

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by LostAll, Jun 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LostAll

LostAll New Member

Hi all,

I wanted to know that your thoughts are on the subject of death by voluntary fasting and laws relating to this topic. In Hindu or Jainism religions, undergoing rituals of Santhara, Sallekhana, or Prayopavesa is a method of ending a life of a person that has no desire and responsibilities left in life. It is considered by some that this does not mean suicide but a graceful exit from this world by a natural death. Others think of this is just another way for an exit. This has been a debate for centuries and I just wanted to know your thoughts on the subject as you are very close to this area. As far as I know, there are no laws against fasting.

Thanks in advance,
    LostAll

2. solutions

solutions Well-Known Member

Um, okay. This is an odd thread. In the U.S., it's not illegal, or at least isn't enforced as illegal. In one particular religion practiced primarily in India, death by fasting is considered okay because it is considered a self-sacrifice in order to preserve other life, which includes plants and vegetables for consumption. The focus of the religion, the name of which escapes me at the moment, is on preserving all life, so fasting until death occurs is a way to preserve life at the cost of oneself. It's the only religion that actively promotes suicide in this way. To my knowledge, there is no other religion, anywhere, that promotes any form of suicide.

I will point out, however, that death by fasting is one of the most painful things you can possibly do to yourself, and takes many weeks, during which it will become increasingly more painful until utter agony sets in.

3. tweetypie

tweetypie Antiquities Friend

Hi yes like rocketpop said death by fasting would be pretty horriffic ! :hug:

4. LostAll

LostAll New Member

I have seen a few videos on YouTube on Santhara and Sallekhana and I can't imagine the amount of willpower they have. I my own opinion, I think it is a great way to leave this world. In those videos, I see nothing but love. This is something that I would rather go through than wait for an illness such as cancer or an accident. Also from my understanding of the various ways, this one is the most graceful and peaceful.

Once I found that these rituals exist, I have been very interested and want to find out more information. The religion that you are thinking of, is it called Jainism or something else? In Jainism, it is performed when there are no desires and responsibilities left. My personal belief that there is a right situation for everything, including taking of one's life to be with God/Ancestors. I am wondering why you think this thread is odd? Is it in the wrong forum?

Thanks,
    LostAll

5. LostAll

LostAll New Member

I'm curious to know what exactly do you think would be horrific? Is it the physical pain that is associated with hunger for many weeks and/or your image as you shed body weight? If you can go into more detail I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Lostall

6. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I don't see anything peaceful, or graceful, about the process of a person's organs slowly shutting down. To me, that sounds excruciating.

But aside from that, SF is a pro-life site, and methods aren't to be discussed here. So I'm going to close this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.