Death Note

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Entoloma43, Nov 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Entoloma43

Entoloma43 Well-Known Member

If you had a death note, would you use it? If so, on who and why? If not, why not?

Here are the rules:

- The human whose name is written in this note shall die.
    - This note will not take effect unless the writer has the person's face in their mind when writing his/her name. Therefore, people sharing the same name will not be affected.
    - If the cause of death is not specified, the person will simply die of heart attack.
    - After writing the cause of death, details of the death should be written in the next 6 minutes and 40 seconds.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally, I would definitely use it on many people, in no specific order: (some of these would be done on case by case)

- Child Molesters
    - Rapists
    - Excessive liars who show no signs of changing
    - People who excessively deceive and manipulate others
    - Murderers (Depends on the situation, I believe murder is justified sometimes)
    - Those who cheat on whoever they are in a relationship with
    - Other immoral acts I can't think of atm.

My reasoning is simple:

By removing immoral people, less suffering would occur in the future. Crime rates would decrease, non-illegal but immoral acts would decrease, etc... The world would over-all be a better place for everyone except for those who do the above acts.

2. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

< Mod Edit - Quoted deleted post. >

I don't remember Mr. Wilson telling Dennis and Tommy he wishes they'd been aborted. :blink:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2008
  3. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

The you run into the same problems that death penalty supporters face. How can you be certain that they are all guilty? The judicial system isn't flawless. There's also the fact that if the Death Note is taken out of commission, or when you die of old age, humanity reverts back to what it once was.

I don't think you can force a moral evolution on human beings. Being under the threat of death, like in the Death note series, just imprisons humanity, it doesn't advance it.

4. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

it was an out take :biggrin:

5. Entoloma43

Entoloma43 Well-Known Member

I can't. Some sacrifices would be made on innocent people unfortunately.

Could find someone with identical ideals as you, or someone you find worthy, to continue the work after you die.

How would it imprison innocent people?

6. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

People do this all the time actually. There are witchcraft spells out there that show you how to do this, though I would never get into that. :unsure:

7. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

Let me first say that this anime ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!

but...

If I actually had a death note I'd probably just kill everyone... so, uh..... yeah...

8. JohnADreams

As Clam as said, this is where it falls apart. Playing God to the point that you place yourself above your own moral demands on others, forces you into hypocrisy.
    This tends not to work. Look at China's movement into a capitalist country or the way people have perverted the teaching of Christ. Even in Death Note, Mikami wanted to kill those he thought were unproductive, not just criminals or anyone trying to stop the transformation of the world.
    By forcing them to act morally at gunpoint. The Death Note is a moral prison, focusing on punishment and control, not mercy and rehabilitation.

9. Bonster

Bonster Member

I freakin' love Death Note. "Killer anime" lol That being said, if I did have the power of the death note, I probably would only use it the case of my own abusers, the ones that have harmed me personally. Even then, I would have to think about it long and hard, because karma would then have a reason/ opportunity to make me her b*tch if I did so act.

10. bleach

bleach Well-Known Member

I'd kill you, since you are killing people for reasons as frivolous as lying and cheating. You have obviously gone insane and are a direct threat to civilization. I would make the world a better place by ending your reign of terror. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2008
  11. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

So, you get to decide who's moral and who's not? What gives you the right to judge?

12. JohnADreams

Which is still an immoral act, even if it is the lesser of two evils. It's a bad example anyway, since each act of murder with the Death note must be judged on it's own merit. It isnt like you dropped a bomb on an enemy base and some random passerby was killed. Each person is killed individually and you're trying to justify the killing of an innocent due to the fact that the next person you murder might give you a better result.

Besides, believing that the end justifies the means doesn't absolve anyone of their deeds. You'd still be a (mass) murderer, preaching the idea that murder is wrong.

Your thinking is too black and white and for some reason you're only keeping to the act of murder. You haven't gone into why almost everyone believes murder is wrong either. Unfortunately it isn't empathy.

There are a lot of people who only stay moral due to the consequences of those actions for themselves or social or religious constraints. Give them an enemy that is out to destroy them, then dehumanize that enemy enough, and normal everyday men and women will willingly work at concentration camps.

More people than you think would be like this. The danger in substituting normal moral constraints for the constant threat of death, is that once that threat is removed, there would be little basis for morality left to keep things stable.
    It's more about you judging who should live or die, than who has committed a crime or not.

13. snowraven

snowraven Well-Known Member

Most of the worlds worst dictators and mass murderers have had the same belief that they are doing it for the greater good. Anyway who would you trust to decide what is and what isn't morally good or bad. Some people may agree with you others might read your posts and put you straight on their death list.:dry:

14. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

I would send one to George Fucker Bush :smile:

And one for you, bacause one third of your reason is as stupid as George bush :)

God, i hate stupid reasons

And Bush, of course

15. Just_a_guy

Just_a_guy Well-Known Member

As someone pointed out, who are we to judge people? Im not saying lying or cheating is anything good but people aren't that simple and categorizing people like that could be quite unfair at least.

Let's say someone is a compulsive liar and cheater but he takes care of his ill grandmother and works as a volunteer in the local animal shelter. Without him his grandmother would die and all those little kittens would starve. Would it be fair to gategorize him as an "immoral" person and "erase" him? Wouldn't it be quite scary if there was someone judging you or me however he/she likes and erasing people at will if that person just decides that we are immoral?

16. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

deleted post

17. 247j

247j Active Member

I wouldn't agree with this system and wouldn't ever kil anyone else.

Many people have asked me this and have even said would I agree with capital punishment if someone hurt someone I loved.

My Grandad was murdered brutally for no reason and I don't wish death upon his killer.

Personally I think revenge makes bitter hearts and death causes more pain for innocent parties in the long run.

I truly believe that when we die we will al be judged I believe we will get what we deserve what is coming to us.

But I suppose that's just person belief and we are all entitled to our opinions!!!

I have great respect for you wanting to make the world a better place though and for hating all those things above your morals are in the right place so I respect you highly for that it's just I think there are better ways to deal with things like that I don't believe anyone has the right to play God and decide someone else's fate. :)

Rick

18. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I might kill someone else. Not for revenge, though... Preventative measures sometimes have to be taken. Who am I to judge right or wrong? I'm not qualified, but I know too many people with PTSD from abusive childhoods.

19. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

I would not use it. I believe that everyone has the right to live out their lives naturally. I believe that people can and often do change and that killing others (unless it is a DIRECT result of defending ones own life) only takes away their chance of changing and becoming a decent person. To cut another person's life short before they have that chance is a terrible thing.

20. Erratic

Erratic Active Member

Lying is a necessary evil sometimes. I don't want to really know if my ass looks fat in those pants, even if I ask someone that very question. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.