Death of pets..

Discussion in 'Grief and Bereavement' started by ThoseEmptyWalls, Jul 12, 2009.

1. ThoseEmptyWalls

ThoseEmptyWalls Well-Known Member

My pet rabbit died today. My neighbor told my husband this morning he thought something was wrong with Thumper. Thumper has been living in our yard, with free reign of it, for about six months now. He got out of his hutch and we decided to just let him run free. Hes been happy and healthy. He doubled his size and looked so happy to be running around playing with the rooster, eating black berries, and of course everyone took fruit and veggies out to feed him. My husband went looking for him and found him laying in a mud puddle. His eye was sunken in but no visable signs of injury. I got so upset when I heard. Not upset to the point I cried but upset enough to make me want to cry. Im still crying over the death of my dog Princess 10 years ago and my cat Brian 6 years ago. Does anyone else get badly upset when pets pass on? I cry just as bad if not worse then I do when a family members pass on..

2. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

I have been devastated by the loss of my pets so you are by no means alone. I also work with animals and have seen many owners cry when they lose a beloved pet, and yes more tears than I have seen a funerals for humans.

I am so sorry for your loss and hope that your family is supportive and understanding. Have you ever read "The Rainbow Bridge" the poem about the passing of a pet? If you haven't I would be happy to send it to you.

My heart goes out to you,
    B

3. foxwithwings13

foxwithwings13 Well-Known Member

Yes I get extreamly upset! I almost hate to say this but... when my bird died I grieved more for her than I did my great grandparents death.

4. ThoseEmptyWalls

ThoseEmptyWalls Well-Known Member

No, I havent read that poem. I would like to though so please do send it to me..

The worst I have ever cried in my life was when Princess died. I got her when I was 3 years old. The man my mom was dating at the time bought her for me. When they split up he tried to take Princess with him. My Dad stepped in though. The guy had stolen something off my Dad. Dad told him if he took the dog he would do much more then turn him in for stealing.

I remember on mothers day my aunt would wrap a gift up to me with Princess as the one giving me the gift. I grew up with that little dog. We played hide and seek together, danced together, san songs together, even bathed together! She my best friend for 10 years! She got sick on a Sunday morning. My aunt called every vet in the phone book and none were open. She tried calling a old timer vet that made house calls and he wasnt home. She had vet training but didnt work at a vets office so she couldnt do much. Princess died of what my aunt believed to be a stroke.

I couldnt do anything but cry. After she died I always thought I saw her in the yard sitting on her grave. My mom told me once she use to wake up to the sound of her toe nails tapping on the floor...

5. reefer madness

reefer madness Account Closed

I've had plenty of pets die on me and never grieved for any of them. Come to think of it, I didn't really grieve over the people I've known who've died. I don't think of myself as a cold hearted person though.

6. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

Here is the poem. If you tell me roughly where you live I can direct you to a pet loss hot line too

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Please feel free to PM me if you would like to talk.. I work with animals for work so understand your feelings in a lot of ways.

I think it is great that you write too, I lost a special pet and wrote a story that very day and it was published which made me feel that her death was honored,,,,may be write about your rabbit?
    Love ya B

7. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

I don't know what I would do if my cat died. :sad: I'm sorry for the loss of your pets, it must be difficult. :hug:

8. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

I would care more if my dog died than if my grandparents did.

9. cows4u

cows4u Member

I know when I lost my first cat when I was 13 I was a wreck. I think losing a pet is very hard because they get you on a level humans can't.

They don't judge you and they're always there for you.

10. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Because our pets love us unconditionally, we take them into our hearts and lives deeper than any other person can go. Be it a pet mouse to a horse, size and make doesnt matter. They all have hearts that give love freely. And we grab it and let it touch us. We can all tell stories about how our pets comforted us when no one else could. How their antics could make us laugh out loud. Or how they just knew you needed some quiet time with them. No human no matter how important in your life they may be, can reach that level of commitment. Our pets expect nothing but food, water shelter and love. So when they pass, of course they are leaving a huge void. And it hurts. If you are lucky enough to have a pet in your life, dont feel odd about mourning their passing. It is the least you can do to honor such a loyal friend. I'm sorry for all your losses Kristin.

11. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

:hug: im sorry :hug: