Death Related Quotes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been suicidal on and off for 13 years, more on than off unfortunately. Due to suicidal tendencies I read a lot about many things. It all gets so monotonous and depressing and draining that sometimes I forget I just need to laugh. I found these and some gave me a giggle. I am a little shocked to realize I still have a dark side to my sense of humour but it's nice to remember I'm only human and so come with all the baggage that comes with being human. We're all on this rock together. We have so many similarities as well as our individuality. We are not alone. Though I know we feel that way an awful lot. WTF is that about? Oh well, here you go, hope you can smile like me for a bit.

Suicide Quotes

"Many say suicide is a permanant solution to a temporary solution. I am a buddhist and so due to reincarnation, I'd say suicide is a temporary solution to a permanant problem." ~ Unknown

"I will commit suicide or die trying." ~ Unknown

"Support your local medical examiner: Die strangely." ~ Unknown

"A murder is just an extroverted suicide." ~ Monty Python

"At least Ian Curtis died doing what he loved. Killing himself." ~ Unknown

Wars, Guns, Threats and other Causes

"Most peopele would rather die than think 'Many do'." ~ Bertrand Russell

"In an atomic war all are cremated equal." ~ Unknown

"Remember kids, once you pull the pin, Mr. grenade is no longer your friend." ~ Unknown

"Remember kids, if there's a loaded gun in the room, make sure you're the one holding it." ~ Mr. Greenfatigues

"Best new auto safety feature: A giant spike in the middle of the steering wheel - just watch how carefully people drive!" ~ Unknown

Funerals and Wills

"Why is it that we rejoice at a wedding and cry at a funeral? It is because we are not the person involved." ~ Mark Twain

"I hated going to weddings. All the grandmas would pokje saying 'You're next'. They stopped that when I started doing that to them at funerals." ~ Unknown

"Where there's a will I want to be in it." ~ Bumper Sticker

Tombstone Epitaphs

"I told you I was sick" ~ Spike Milligan

"How did it get so dark?!?" ~ From a tombstone

"Where did everyone go?" ~ From a tombstone

"That's all folks" ~ Epitaph of Mel Blanc, The Man of a Thousand Voices

they are good, I'd like to see some more :)
Hi Blackness. Glad to see a smile. I hope you're on an upward spiral today.

I actually found them on a website and it's packed with various stuff and I'm sure they'd welcome visits to their site but I don't know if I can get in trouble if I put its name on here. Do you know if I can? Or anyone who may be viewing this thread. Perhaps I could PM the address if anyone wants it?

Yup, got it thanks. I've sent reply to you. Glad you enjoyed. :smile:

Hey. Perhaps people could put in quotes they have heard. I should have put that in the thread to make it more interactive. Oh well, live and learn. Okay, so:

Post you're own quotes if you have any and want to

If I commit suicide, it will not be to destroy myself but to put myself back together again. Suicide will be for me only one means of violently reconquering myself, of brutally invading my being, of anticipating the unpredictable approaches of God. By suicide, I reintroduce my design in nature, I shall for the first time give things the shape of my will.

- Antonin Artaud

Azul

I don't really understand where Artaud is coming from when he writes that.:unsure:

I remember a quote from Anatole France but I don't know if it went exactly like this:
"the sweetness of life is felt even in the moss growing over the grave"

If I commit suicide, it will not be to destroy myself but to put myself back together again. Suicide will be for me only one means of violently reconquering myself, of brutally invading my being, of anticipating the unpredictable approaches of God. By suicide, I reintroduce my design in nature, I shall for the first time give things the shape of my will.

- Antonin Artaud
I think I can understand what Antonin Artaud was saying here but I may be wrong as we all percieve the world through our own eyes, thoughts, feelings etc. I suppose.

I remember a quote from Anatole France but I don't know if it went exactly like this:
"the sweetness of life is felt even in the moss growing over the grave"
That is sadly beautiful. Kind of touching in a dark way. Very poetic.

I've got another that helps me to feel that perhaps it is people who consider their own death who might somehow be finding what some ancient cultures knew was a necessary part of life. We who consider death often, we could be the found, and those who hide from their true feeings, they could be the lost.

I am far, far from perfect and so forgive me whatever you are Lord for I know what I do. I sense I shouldn't judge but they are awfully like lost sheep to me sometimes. These people who cannot be alone, will not think or be honest with themselves for fear of letting the truth in their hearts come through. You may recognize this quote from the film ~ Ghost Dog The Way Of The Samurai ~. It goes:

"The Way of the Samurai is found in death. Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily. Every day, when one's body and mind are at peace, one should meditate upon being ripped apart by arrows, rifles, spears, and swords, being carried away by surging waves, being thrown into the midst of a great fire, being struck by lightning, being shaken to death by a great earthquake, falling from thousand-foot cliffs, dying of disease or committing seppuku at the death of one's master. And every day, without fail, one should consider himself as dead. This is the substance of the Way of the Samurai."

Azul

By the way the quote from Monty Python about murder being an extroverted form of suicide could very well have some truth in it in some cases! Like high school shootings etc. it's an antisocial sublimation of suicide.

By the way the quote from Monty Python about murder being an extroverted form of suicide could very well have some truth in it in some cases! Like high school shootings etc. it's an antisocial sublimation of suicide.
Yeah, I can see what's being said here. I guess for me I made a lot of rules in 2004 for myself to better myself and the people around me according to what my heart was telling me all along. One of those rules was pacifism so I wouldn't be channeling hurt I felt onto others even if others were provoking me to (like the drunken dude that decided to use me as a one hit punchbag through my car window). Kinda like breaking the cycle. I haven't broken any of my rules yet. If WW3 breaks right out (it's already happening in a sense) I may have to drop thise rulkes for the sake of freedom, or I have to go Ghandi style. We'll see.

Anyway, it seems to be a question of choice to me. We've all had shit in our lives but we choose what to do with the thoughts, feelings and emotions they cause in us. Perhaps for some it is too much for them or they do get dealt to much shit and they find it is out of their control. Some do choose to kill themselves. I choose to try and live and not be like my tormentors. Some people choose to kill others. So I guess what's inside is similar but it's what we choose to do with what's within. So I'm not sure if it is an antisocial sublimation of suicide. I think upbringing and many other elements come into it. I'll have to look into it more. I have recently heard the term "It's better to be homicidal than suicidal." I don't know if that's a good or bad thing to be saying. It's not really either. I don't know.

Woah. This has really got me trying to join up the dots. And all from a Monty Python sketch. Who'd have thought it.

I don't know exactly what Artaud meant, and I'm not sure he really did either. My take on it is that if your body and mind have been ravaged by depression or dementia or whatever because that's the life that God has chosen for you, then suiciding is a way of taking control of your body, mind, and destiny.

I don't know exactly what Artaud meant, and I'm not sure he really did either. My take on it is that if your body and mind have been ravaged by depression or dementia or whatever because that's the life that God has chosen for you, then suiciding is a way of taking control of your body, mind, and destiny.
I thought it's like he had an idea at that time of what he saw as a possible solution. Many of us know what it's like going through the shitty process of working through suicidal tendencies. It's led me into all kinds of areas. Philosophy, learning about self more than some, many places. And I've come up with many alternative views and spoken some of them only to realize it seemed wrong or completely mad.

Like you say it's like he's fallen apart so bad that the only way to find togetherness again is through one decision, one act of will, one simple (in relation to falling apart to the point of being suicidal) action. I think this was just a stage of thinking in the battle of many things within him. He was on opiates and other drugs a lot, like so many people back then, but I think he was more troubled than many others so that might be irrelevant but he could have been away from himself or simply mistaken when he said it. It's certainly different. May he R.I.P whatever happened exactly at the end.

Hi all

I haven't been here since 2007 & I'm just bringing a couple of old threads back from the mists of time & curious to see what happens. If nothing then cool, if something then cool.

Anyways, if anyone has any quotes they'd like to add then cool.

Anyways, really hope everyone here is doing okay/well today :smile:

Just to add - I was extremely suicidal for fifteen years yet nowadays almost completely not suicidal anymore. I hope that can be an inspiration to others here that one can be extremely suicidal for fifteen years & then over time become almost completely not suicidal.

Kemra

Inscription on tombstones:

Free your body and soul,
Unfold your powerful wings,
Climb up the highest mountains,
Kick your feet up in the air,
You may now live forever,
Or return to this earth,
Unless you feel good where you are. (tip, read down the far left column)

Lawrence L. Cook Jr. Tombstone
Ma Loves Pa - Pa Loves Women
Ma Caught Pa, With 2 in Swimmin
Here Lies Pa...

Mel Blank's Tombstone "That's All Folks" "Man of 1000 Voices, Beloved Husband and Father"

Merv Griffin's Tombstone "I Will Not Be Right Back After These Messages"

"Here Lies the Body of Jonathan Blake Stepped On the Gas Instead of the Brake"

Shit Happens - Edith Tina Barlow

www.phoolish.com/2010/07/25-funny-tombstones.html

Kemra

More tombstones:

Here lies Lester Moore.
Four slugs
From a forty-four.
No Les
No More.

Boot Hill Cemetery, Tombstones, Arizona:

He was young
He was fair
But the Injuns
Raised his hair

Here lays Butch.
We planted him raw.
He was quick on the trigger
But slow on the draw.

Silver City, Nevada:

Here lies a man named Zeke.
Second fastest draw in Cripple Creek.

Larne, Ireland - On a hanged sheep stealer:

Here lies the body of
Thomas Kemp.
Who lived by wool
and died by hemp.

In memory of Anna Hopewell
Here lies the body of our Anna
Done to death by a banana
It wasn't the fruit that laid her low
But the skin of the thing that made her go.

West Grimstead, Sussex, England
On a coroner who hung himself:

He lived
And died
By suicide

On a lawyer in England:

Sir John Strange.
Here lies an honest lawyer.
And that is Strange.

On an Auctioneer:

Jedediah Goodwin
Auctioneer
Born 1828
Going!
Going!!
Gone!!!

Belturbet, Ireland:

Here lies the body
of John Round.
Lost at sea
and never found.

London, England:

Ann Mann
Here lies Ann Mann,
Who lived an old maid
But died an old Mann.
December 8, 1767

Burlington, Vermont:

She lived with her husband for 50 years
And died in the confident hope of a better life.

I plant these shrubs upon your grave dear wife
That something on this spot may boast of life.
Shrubs must wither and all earth must rot.
Shrubs may revive, but you thank heaven will not.

Ribbesford, England:

Anna Wallace
The children of Israel wanted bread
And the Lord sent them manna;
Old clerk Wallace wanted a wife,
And the devil sent him Anna.

Kemra

Found some more.. this is what happens when your bored and love wiki >.<
Quotes from celebrities on death:

"I don't mind dying, the trouble is you feel so bloody stiff the next day."
George Axlerod

"They say such nice things about people at their funerals that it makes me sad that I'm going to miss mine by just a few days."
Garrison Kielor.

"Whenever I watch TV and see those poor starving kids all over the world, I can't help but cry. I mean I'd love to be skinny like that but not with all those flies and death and stuff."
Mariah Carey.

"My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying."
Ed Furgol.

"My grandmother was a very tough woman. She buried three husbands and two of them were just napping."
Rita Rudner.

"I was with this girl the other night and from the way she was responding to my skillful caresses, you would have sworn that she was conscious from the top of her head to the tag on her toes."
Emo Philips.

"At my age I do what Mark Twain did. I get my daily paper, look at the obituaries page and if I'm not there I carry on as usual."
Patrick Moore.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Woody Allen.

"Either he's dead or my watch has stopped."
Groucho Marx.

IV2010

Re: Death Related Quotes

great thread....made me smile.
Hi IV 2010. Hope you're ok/well today

Cool. Glad you're smiling

Hi Kemra. Hope you're okay/well today.

You are the master of qoutes!!! Some great ones which have cause many a kind of reaction from me. Great stuff...thanks

foreverforgotten
Hi foreverforgotten. Hope you're okay/well today.

That Mariah Carey quote has shocked me. I never heard that before. Some people have just lost it I think ay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00