Death scares me

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by wastedmylife, Aug 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

I just read something that said your brain still functions up to 40 hours after you die meaning you are in a concious vegetative state and you basically see and think but are unable to do anything about it, I cant even imagine what that is like

When I put my dog to sleep a few weeks ago, I had this feeling he was staring at me after I put him down

I have done so much damage to my body in the last 3 years, I cant believe it, all because I played in this stupid football game and cant believe it

I cant believe the psychological nightmare I am in, I am so alone because I dont have health insurance and that is the most important thing with doctors

I am so close to death and it scares me, I have done such physical damage to my body and it scares me

I really dont want to die

What happens if your brain still functions past that 40 hours until your body finally disintegrates or is cremated

It is so scary because I just know my dog was staring at me after I put him to sleep, I just had this feeling he wasnt completly dead

I cant believe what I did to my life and the nightmare I am in

I really dont want to die and never wanted to die but I have done to much damage to my body

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2008
  2. Austere Night

Austere Night Well-Known Member

If you aren't breathing in oxygen, your brain is going to start shutting down withing a minute or two and is dead in a few more, max. For you to be in a sort of suspended animation, you need some amount of air and blood getting to the brain. 40 hours could only ever be achieved in ideal conditions to keep your brain alive after other parts of your body are dieing.

Really, though, if you are paralyzed, you're nerves and/or muscles are dieing and your brain can't last long at all of you are in a condition of nervous system/muscle death.

The cause of death is also very relevant.

3. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I agree! the brain needs oxygen to live. Don't beleive evrything you read or hear about. They probably have there own beleifs but by our standards that is a bunch of bullshit!! Look at the people who have autopcies soon after death. If they were still consious that would be murder. Everyone has there own way of thinking...:chopper:...

4. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

That sounds more like a comatose state. I don't know if it is actually possible though to have brain activity 40 hours after death. Unless, if there is life after death.

5. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

If the brain lasts that long then why do the brain waves stop upon death. The brain is no longer functioning. I am unsure where your info came from, but I don't think I would hold it as fact.

6. LightInTheDarkestNight

LightInTheDarkestNight Well-Known Member

I agree death does scare me as well. I don't think it's possible to be aware for 40 hours after you're physically dead it just doesn't add up I don't believe in life after death it just doesn't make sense, sure it's possible just very unlikely.

What damage has been done to your body?

I can relate to having a damaged body, I had a insanely stressful 3 months, physically, mentally and emotionally.

That's how I feel exactly that I'm in a nightmare. I wake up and I feel insanely faitugued, my lips and skin around my mouth are red and feel irritated a good portion of the day. My muscles and joints ache for no good reason. My body itches. Then I worry about all the stress that I caused myself through my bad choices, being sensitive, horrible luck, and how I could have possibly avoided it, thus not feeling the way I do now.

Viruses, physical and emotional stress can trigger diseases(I had sex with a few girls I shouldn't have)

I was basically a hermit before, with alot less problems now. unless my physical issues are fixable I'm most likely doomed to be miserable. No one likes a miserable person...

7. touglytobeloved

touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

40 hours? Impossible. When you are uncounciousness you dont feel, and then you die and starting to feel? SF (not as suicide forum, but as science fiction-althought i love SF, both, suicide forum and science fiction)

8. Austere Night

It\s possible that the neurons may still keep on firing, because death won't stop the electrical energy in your head immediately, and what firing neurons do isn't completely known, but it often happens in areas of the brain to recall memories. Maybe we do get a slide show at death, if we have enough consciousness left to see what we remember.

9. purplefizz

purplefizz Senior Member

Source? I don't believe that, but I'm curious to know where you got your information.

I doubt you have done too much damage to your body. I have read your situation, and I sympathize with you, but it doesn't mean that you have to end it all. I bet you will find your way out of this torment. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but you will find the help you need. You're still holding on and that's great. You also say that you don't want to die. That's even better.

I'm also sorry to hear about your dog. I really love animals too, and I know that must have been difficult on you both.

:hug:

10. Austere Night

Source is some inferencing on some neurology texts I've read.

When someone was continually show the picture of roses, the same part of their brain saw many neurons firing at as soon as the picture was seen. The firing is caused by some electricity going through them.

I have some decent knowledge on electricity, and I know that even if you unplug an appliance or something, the wires are still live until the ohmic resistance renders it powerless.

Your nerves are decent at moving electricity around, and so when you die, it only makes sense that all the electricity still floating around keeps moving around. This has been linked to death causing muscle spasms and one final bowel movement - not very nice, is it? Similarly, it seems your brain should spasm too, perhaps recalling memories or other things at random before everything goes silent.

11. monkeypunchluff

monkeypunchluff Well-Known Member

The brain begins to die 4-6 minutes after you stop breathing. Early response CPR can help prolong this period, but it will not be able to give your brain the optimum that it's used to having.

You generally will not be conscious if you stop breathing (unless you're holding your breath), meaning you will be unconscious.

When you're unconscious in this state, you may or may not have mental functions. In other words, you may be in a dream-like state, or you might just be completely blacked-out.

When your brain starts to die, the situation is similar to that of a stroke (my understanding).

Either way, you will not be conscious while this is occurring, so although you might have "dreams", you won't be aware of them (my understanding). When the brain starts to die, the damage is irreversible. It will also dramatically impair any thoughts/memories you might have.

Hope this helps.

12. touglytobeloved

touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

Anyway, no matter what what happens with brain after death, its inevitable, we all must go through that, no matter if it is through suicide or natural death. So, dont worry, so many people have been there and will be there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.