Death

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by NoGood, Dec 8, 2009.

1. NoGood

NoGood Well-Known Member

So i work in a vet clinic. im not a vet or a very nurse, im just a receptionist. So i dont examine or treat the pets.

But tonight we had a old dog who was blind and we had to put him to sleep. The vet and vet nurse were having a hard time holding him and putting in the catheter so i was brought in to pet the dog and comfort him.

Anyway, when the catheter goes in, its painful and the dog yelps, its really unpleasant. The dog was blind and couldnt see us or what we were doing so he was freaking out and biting.

Long story short, we ended up putting the dog to sleep in my arms as I was patting his head. He was breathing one minute and the next he just stopped.

Its really emotional. Its sad and hard to deal with. Ive never seen life leave a living creature before.

2. Disappear

Disappear Well-Known Member

:( That must have been so hard, and I bet you can't stop thinking about it now right?
    I've never experience that exact moment but I've dealt with a lot of animal's death, never a nice thing, even if you don't know the animal...like yourself. Try not to think about it, and next time they ask, tell them you don't feel comfortable doing that, if possible.

3. NoGood

NoGood Well-Known Member

Ive dealt with death in my life but its the moment that life slips away that kinda weirding me out. He was breathing real heavy and then slowly slowly and then limp.

I dont mind helping, I mean we were puttin it out of its misery, i was jealous at the act that we wer doing. I was wishing it was so easy for us!!!!

Its just that moment as he died - literally.

I just had to 'let it out'.

4. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

Never been in that situation before, but just wanted to let you know that I'd read it, and can empathise with you :hug:

5. NoGood

NoGood Well-Known Member

thanks Joe.

Yea I like knowing that people read my posts, I dont feel so silly for posting all the time then.

It was something I just had to let out.

6. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

big :hug: for you :)

7. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

We just put a dog down because she was blind, deaf, and wasn't eating.. The vet came to the house and gave her a shot to relax her then she injected the meds to put her down.. It was tough because she was 21 years old.. She was around for a long time and everyone loved her..So I sympathize with you..

8. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

My dog was suffering from terminal cancer that had spread so thoroughly through his lungs he was gasping for air every waking moment for over a week. The vet came to my house to put him down and he stood up, a walking skeleton, wagging his tail at the "guest" he didn't know was the grim reaper.

I couldn't take part in the euthanasia, I went into another room and cried hysterically. I am sorry you actually had to take part in that scenario :(:(:(.

9. HiddenTears

HiddenTears Well-Known Member

I feel for you Kate, just know that the dog now has his sight and youth back. I know it's sad and hard to say goodbye to a pet, but in reality we treat pets better than people. I don't know the whole story and the dog probably wasn't put down because he was blind, he was most likely suffering. Doing so ended his suffering and now he is somewhere enjoying himself again. Even though it is sad you have to remember it was best for the dog.

10. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

I would never be able to work in such a place.

I would sob every day. Animals are so innocent.