Death

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by sc01706, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sc01706

sc01706 Active Member

Not sure where to post this but I always think about death. For the time being I'm not in a suicidal mode, but I think about death daily. I think about what happens when we die. I think about when am I going to die? How am I going to die? I literally lose sleep over this sometimes. I used to watch Ghost Hunters but I can't even watch it anymore because I'm afraid of dying and being stuck as a tormented spirit for eternity. I want to believe in God but don't. I get urges to kill myself frequently but I'm so terrified of death. It is something I worry about and have worried about for years. I just can't seem to shake the thought of death. When I see people I think to myself, that person is going to die eventually. I know people think about their death, but I think about it everyday and usually more than one time a day.

2. sunshinesblack

sunshinesblack Well-Known Member

I you have a morbid imagination, maybe cause u r suicidal, not all people thet r so go rageing and after a knife

3. peacelovingguy

peacelovingguy Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums - I'm new myself here but I'm in my forties and can remember my own teens when similar stuff came up. We're 'lucky' now in that we can just go on-line and post something without the embarrassment of meeting someone and feeling insecure and not actually opening up.

Thinking about death is normal from time to time - everyone will think that from time to time and I'm sure most in the West feel fear. Maybe we hide away from it so that it becomes a great unknown. Years ago almost everyone died at home - there was a deathbed protocol (manners for the dying and those visiting!) and it would be normal for everyone to have witnessed death first hand. Now we hide it away and all manner of money makers will sell us ideas about death via TV shows. Ghost shows are massive these days, but of all the billions of people who have died, the only proof of tormented spirits are dodgy YouTube videos showing some blurry figure or worse, just the 'ghost hunters' who 'see' all these ghosts and yet, we cannot see a thing.

You say you think about death every day - have you any close ones who are maybe ill or did you ever lose someone? Maybe you've had a stressful year or been through hard events. Whatever you answer, I guess you need to watch yourself - not in a crisis red alert type manner but just try and find other things in life to maybe get you in the habit of thinking about positive things.

As for God, I'd not push my own faith to anyone who was feeling down. If you have a faith yourself then some local church, synagogue, mosque or temple or shrine will be open. God being God is likely listening to anyone anywhere - its not like you need to dress this way or that or perform the exact ceremony and so on. As well as God its also best to know yourself and you've shown that your willing to take that task on-board.

If you think about suicide often then most here would point to counselling or see your doctor at least. Its a case of maybe finding someone you can trust - an adult is not going to betray confidences. I mean an adult such as a teacher, doctor or professional or family. I can advise but not get involved. When I was young, I'd not tell my peers for instance, even best friends who I still an friends with now.

You can always post up here and someone will genuinely have been through something similar to whatever gets you down.

Hope life works out, millions of young people go through a morbid curiosity with death - and partly a natural one as part of growing up involves coping with death of loved ones.

Studying death on the internet is not a good idea. you'll end up on some wacky supposed Christian website in the USA telling you we're all going to hell in a basket.

If you had a child who say murdered a lot of people and was maybe a terrorist or something who done something horrific - you'd likely want to forgive them. Every religion and every faith teaches we are children of God and if a parent can forgive a child then how much evil would you need to work to not be forgiven by God?

I'm guessing a hell of a lot

I'm also guessing you've not exactly committed enough evil yet to even afford a slap on the wrist. Don't worry about tormented spirits my friend - the idiots who spout all that are just cashing in on the fear factor.

Try not to miss the light because you focus too much on the darkness.

Talk to someone - hopefully your just going through a phase and many recognise it. This is not to make light of the very real yet totally unnecessary worries you have.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2010
  4. Underground

Underground Well-Known Member

Being an agnostic myself, I too have little faith in God and any religions that are out there. It's like I want to believe in God, but I just can't, either. However, in the light that we humans are not omniscient, I find it hard to be completely atheist, so I just accept that I don't know if God exists or not.

I'm in for a bit of a big waffle here, but I think about death and the aftermath a lot. Especially in the last week since my neighbour - a relatively young mother commit suicide. Life is just so uncertain. I don't believe there is a special paradise awaiting us, nor a eternal punishment like Hell. I have little faith that things like spirits exist, because every "spirit story" is a money grabbing hoax that has never been scientifically proven. So my two conclusions are that when we die.. we simply do die in biological terms and just cease to exist. Our brains stop functioning so we are no longer conscious and our physical bodies slowly decompose out of existence and back into nature. But then again, there's the possibility that there is an 'energy' (possibly a spirit like what many religions believe) is what causes our cells/brains/bodies to be 'alive' in the first place that makes us different from inanimate particles and shit like rocks, etc. So that energy possibly gets redistributed as another life form, or there is a form of it in our genes.. hence why I kinda believe in reincarnation. Perhaps we are reborn as other humans/animals/plants or possibly as one of our descendants.

We forget how clever nature is.. so you really never know. We can only hope and then 'see' for ourselves when we die. Of course.. you won't recall thinking of all this as a suicidal human, will you? But it does help put me off suicide.. as much as I want to die sometimes, I am afraid of death.

5. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

There's a show called '1000 ways to die' on the Spike channel, which is an American channel. It's basically about the weirdest ways that people have died, unintentionally. I've watched many episodes and I also think about all the ways that people could die doing everyday things. Try not to think about it too much though, or else you can easily get paranoid. I know that one day we all will have to die, one way or another. I just do my best not to do things that bring me closer to my untimely demise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.