Debate: Does the Universe have a purpose?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by titanic, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titanic

titanic Well-Known Member

2. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

why would the universe need a purpose?
    Does a rock have purpose?
    its all random chance as we have seen through quantum theory, we are just a little anomaly in space and we have the habit of putting our "concepts" on inanimate objects.

3. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

that video is quite disturbing. I paraphrase, it is said that "evil" is when somethings not the way it "ought to be"....this leads me to looking at the bible which decrees homosexuality is wrong, so am i right in thinking christians think homosexual people are evil?

4. GabrielConroy

GabrielConroy Well-Known Member

people have purpose the inanimate universe doesn't

5. A1231988

A1231988 Well-Known Member

That is exactly what some of the fanatics believe. There are people today that would love to see gay couples stoned to death.

6. youngter

youngter Member

Of course it does, it's here to creat life and unique worlds to live in there's nothing evil about that only humans are evil.

7. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

If the universe had a purpose we defiantly have no comprehension of it, anyone who says they have any idea about it is hilarious!

8. Deleted SKU

Deleted SKU Well-Known Member

9. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

lol:biggrin:

10. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

Also on the topic of evil, a link to a project, the infamous stanford prison experiment. I truly believe the view of the system creating an "evil" behaviour is most accurate in real life.
    Have a look at the experiment, it makes for shocking reading
    www.prisonexp.org/

11. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

I think we as humans try and create or look for a 'purpose' in anything and virtually everything.

Why exactly would the universe have a purpose? It's like asking does a dead body have a purpose. Well besides decomposing, which will eventually happen, no it doesn't.

Far as I'm concerned, the universe does what it does. If a sun implodes and annihilates it's own galaxy then that's that. It simply happens.

We want to find/conjure a purpose for the universe because we feel our lives are so insignificant. And in the end they are, considering there are endless amounts of galaxies/groups of planets.

Some people bring religious jargon into too many parts of their life. They need to remember that sometimes: shit just happens.

-------------------------

And the fact is, adultery has the same 'punishment' as what gay people were said to have recieved in the old testament. So in fact, we would all know people, if not ourselves that would be 'killed' because of DIVORCE. Christianity and related religious systems are outdated. The religion of today, is law. The law has the physical ability to punish people. Where as you can 'believe' all you want, it won't happen.

12. johnnysays

johnnysays Well-Known Member

Its purpose is life, but I don't think this purpose exists outside the universe. The universe just is.

We're born with purpose. To live. Pain is our threshold. Too much = dead.

13. jota1

jota1 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the link, very enjoyable. Pity about the way the debate was setup, a bit too holywoodesque for the seriousness of the subject.

14. chjones21

chjones21 Well-Known Member

If I had to put a purpose to the universe - I think I would go for "increasing consciousness" - it just seems that if the universe is driving or heading towards anything, it is always and consistently going in the direction of getting MORE complex.

So initially maybe there was a rock with some water and then some amoeba-type single cells, then double cells, then triple it - then skip a few million years and you have a peacock, with crazy colours and mad tail and a woggly weird mating dance and a bright blue neck....(why?)! then you can add into the mix humans.... but it always (slowly but surely perhaps) seem to head in the direction of more and more complex organisms, with more and more conscious awareness.

On the other hand - it might just all be for no reason at all and just is. Either way, its cool.

15. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

The existence of life is a highly overrated phenomenon

16. johnnysays

johnnysays Well-Known Member

But what is there outside of life? A lot of matter, right. But no consciousness. What is paint without a painter?

I don't believe in a god. I can't say I KNOW god doesn't exist. I'm not a hardcore atheist. No faith in a higher power.

But I think life is distinctive, if anything. And I don't even mean life as we know it. Maybe there're other forms of life. Maybe it's plasma based and exists in places we never thought of. I remember reading a article overviewing some research that indicated plasma had properties that resemble life - like being able to copy certain portions of itself (reproduction). There was a conference recently where they had discovered life that used arsenic in its dna. Here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/02/nasa-new-life-arsenic-bacteria_n_791094.html.

Much more speculative is hte plasma stuff:
    http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/P/plasma-based_life.html

Hmm, if you look here it appears Felisa Wolfe-Simon left a comment(!):
    http://www.daviddarling.info/works/We_Are_Not_Alone.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2011
  17. titanic

Did you listen to the debate? Has nothing whatsoever to do with homosexuality.

18. titanic

Unbelievable? 8 Jan 2011 - William Lane Craig reviews his debate with Dawkins

http://www.premierradio.org.uk/listen/ondemand.aspx?mediaid={6F91AFFF-8ECC-479D-8F56-1F98A462C58A}

19. titanic

Glad you enjoyed it. It was in Mexico.

20. titanic

You've got it all mixed up. You obviously don't know very much about Jesus and the new testament.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.