Debts debts and more debts!

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Ellycat, Nov 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ellycat

    Ellycat Active Member

    I've recently moved into this one bedroom flat and lo and behold it didn't take long for these thoughtless money chasers to 'catch up' with me. The thing is I'm only on benefits due to my mental illness and they are always demanding more han I can afford. Now they're threatening me with sending round the 'big boys' to sort me out (not literally). I know they're not going away but the tone of their letters is obscene to say the least. What do you assume would my next step be?
    I mean one minute you think you're getting on top of things with a fresh start and then these parasites take you back down.:sad:
  2. JaysonJones

    JaysonJones New Member

    Well, the tone of the message they've seny you says all....They want to set a threatening tone so that you pay up, because believe it or not..not all people in debt are people without money...
    Best thing for you to do right now is just live your life, not be bothered with those envelopes and await further action.
  3. Ellycat

    Ellycat Active Member

    Thank you because that's exactly what I was going to do.
    Nice one.:wink:
  4. andyc68

    andyc68 Guest

    my advice would be to go and see the citizen advice ppl, tell them whats going on with the debts and maybe they can put you in touch with a company that can act as a go between so you don't have to worry about the postman coming or who's at the door, i doubt you need the stress hun.

    take care

  5. Up&down

    Up&down Well-Known Member

    If and when they take or try and take further action, send them a leter or ring them tell them your benifits have been suspended because you never attended a medical, you never attended the medical because you moved house and never got the letter. that should give you an extra month or two to sort yourself out.
  6. Ellycat

    Ellycat Active Member

    Thanks to everyone for your replys. I went out to ring them from a call box before and said "you keep sending me threatening letters, but I am not the addressee". 'They' said, "do you know where the addressee" (me) is and I replyed "I 've only just moved into this flat and I have no idea".
    They told me to ignore any future correspondence.
    I know it's only procrastinating things, but at least it gives me time to try and overcome this illness and then I can visit the 'Citizens Advice Bureau' to make some sort of plan of action.
  7. Evo_L

    Evo_L Well-Known Member

    They will send you hundreds of letters threatening action before any is taken. I had to declare myself bankrupt after university (due to being unable to get a job because of a drugs conviction and having studied in medicine). I still get letters today about them, even though I've moved address and they've been informed that I went bankrupt, the letters still have the same tone and message to them. I think it's just a computer mailing system that mails them out. Your name gets entered into the system and they just send them out to you.

    You can apply for bankruptcy, but if you're in England it costs £500 to go bankrupt.

    They will also always be able to find you if you register anything in your name from that address, such as telephone, gas, council tax.

    You may want to consider changing your name by deed-poll (which actually only costs about £60).
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2007
  8. ophelia28

    ophelia28 Well-Known Member

    you should speak to them and tell them that you dont have much money they will be more understanding if you tell them how much you can pay back each month because the more you put it of the more they could charge you intrest i'm not sure but i think you can pay as little as a £1 a week or month if thats all you can pay. but if your honest with them they may reduce how much you owe. but talk to your cizten advice as soon as poss. also you will be charged every time a baliff turns up.
  9. neutral

    neutral Well-Known Member

    I would give a company called CCCS a call. The Consumer Credit Cancelling Service will be able to give you some sound advice and even come up with a plan to help you pay the debts.

    Talk to them and think carefully about your choices and rights before you go ahead with anything.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.