Decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm.

I have a dilema. Bare with me, it's probably going to be a long post :laugh:

ATM I volunteer in a local charity shop on Monday and Thursday afternoons (6 and a half hours a week.)

As those of you who have my mobile number know .. I find it incredibly boring. On Mondays I just basically sit there because there are two volunteers on when you only need one. Thursday I used to be on my own, so atleast I had to serve people .. but now they have taken on someone else for Thursday afternoons too, so I'll just be sat there then too.

Also ATM I get a lift there both times, and have to get a taxi home which costs £9 each day. As of next week though, my lift there isn't going to be available. So I will either have to get a bus (which is still over £1.50 each time) or a taxi (another £9 each time)

I only started volunteering there because I trained as a Samaritan and then decided that I wasn't ready yet.

TBPH I've been having some anxiety about this too. (Not sleeping the night before, being a bit anxious etc) so maybe it's a hint that I'm not ready to "work" yet?

Basically the point of this thread was to try to sort my thoughts out and to try to decide whether to quit or not. I'm sick of letting people down though, letting J down, so that makes me want to continue doing it... but at the same time, I'm ALWAYS skint and the £20 a week (atleast) taxi fares would certainly come in handy.

Hmm. My mind's not quite made up yet ... any help??

Stranger1

Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend
If your not comfortable there is there anywhere else you could volunteer at?? Like an adult living facility??I'm sure they could use the help and the senior citizens would keep you busy..My therapist is after me to volunteer and I keep telling her it's not happening anytime soon.. I have isolated so long that I am just not comfortable being around people..Is there any way you can get the people who own the store to pay your cab fair?? Anyhow I wish you the best in finding something that fits your fancy..

JohnADreams

Ask at the volunteer's center to see if there's a placement closer to you. Just make sure you bring up your transportation issues.

You might also want to ask about an anxiety workshop, if you haven't been on one before. Not sure if they handle that side of things but they may know who to call.

Sadeyes

Staff Alumni
Hi Kid...if it is producing anxiety, maybe it is also allowing you to work through something...and life lessons are priceless...just my 2 cents, big hugs, J

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Heya i've told you what I think :tongue: :hug: :hug: Hope you make the right decision :)

Tobes

The question is, do you get a good feeling out of volunteering. If you do, then stay on. If you don't, then maybe you should quit. If there is no use for you, there is no point in you being there and wasting that 20 quid on taxis. There's nothing wrong with quitting if it isn't right for you, you should be doing what you think is the right thing.

Go with your gut.

Hey all, thanks for the replies.

I think my biggest issue with it is the money that I am spending that I simply DON'T have.

I was chatting to my boss about the fact that the *actual* Samaritans branch has a taxi scheme where by you can get free taxis. She was moaning about it and saying the Samaritans shouldn't be paying for it. I am certain that there is no way they will help with the money.

I wish I hadn't mentioned the whole anxiety thing, because tbh, that's just an aside.

Thanks again for your replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00