Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Izziebabystar, Jan 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Izziebabystar

Izziebabystar Well-Known Member

What is the defenition of self harm?

i always thought you had to leave physical proof for it to be self harm, is that true?
  2. byebyebeautiful

byebyebeautiful Account Closed

intensionally hurting yourself, is self harm, even if it does not show. Self injury how ever, is visible.
  3. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

self harm;
    Self-injury (SI), self-harm (SH) or deliberate self-harm (DSH) is deliberate infliction of tissue damage or alteration to oneself without suicidal intent. It refers to a spectrum of behaviours where demonstrable injury is self-inflicted. A broader definition of self-injury might also include those who inflict harm on their bodies by means of disordered eating.

A common form of self-injury involves making cuts in the skin of the arms, legs, abdomen, inner thighs, etc. However, the number of self-injury methods are only limited by an individual's creativity and include, but are not limited to, compulsive skin picking (dermatillomania), hair pulling (trichotillomania), burning, stabbing, poisoning, alcohol abuse and forms of self harm related to anorexia and bulimia.
    Over all self-harm is a term for the act of damaging one's own body.

hope this clears things up izzie :hug:
  4. Izziebabystar

thanks sheepy :p
    you remind me of a dictonary lol :p
  5. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

i can have my moments lol.. brain is rarely in the mood any more tho!! full of useless crap :laugh:
  6. Izziebabystar

i love it :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.