Defense or Threat?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Lorax, Feb 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lorax

Lorax Well-Known Member

This is NOT about suicide methods, it is a serious issue/ question.

I really want a weapon to defend my home, and have a hobby to make friends and have a fun hobby. Modding & shooting at a range.

I should be able too, and I'm not suicidal. I have owned a firearm, and it did not make ME more suicidal. I'm familiar with saftey & would take propper saftey courses.

My question is, is there a point after recovery you should have the right to own a weapon. Legally: should we lift the mental health bars after a point of time/ responsible training/ therapy?

Morally: Do you feel people with a past of mental health issues should/ can responsibly own a firearm for defense? What about curent/ on going?

Are there certain issues that should be barred (psychopathic/ depression) and others that shouldn't (autism/ developmental delay)

Are there compromises? Owning the weapon, but not being able to carry ammo w/o supervision? Having a responsible party watch your item & let you keep ownership? A certain anount of time with no relapses? A phsysician approval/ rejection?

Personally, I think it's up to the indiviual to take the responsibility. So long as they don't have an issue that prohibits their normal sense of awarness/ judgment. (Mental or physical) on grounds of basic self-preservation law. So long as they take propper courses, and take periodic profeciency tests. (Aim/ law)

2. Dewonderland

Dewonderland Well-Known Member

I will give my very personal point of vue.

It's not against you as a human being but I am really severe when it comes to guns and else.

Gun only brings guns and with guns comes death.

Guns are not made to protect, they've been made to kill.

and so that is what they do.

3. smwhorses

smwhorses Well-Known Member

The landlord here has guns. He has insisted my daughter cannot drive over the grass to park next to the camper I live in. The other day she comes and arrives after dark. She "sacred" the landlord. So even after i told him she was coming he almost shot her.
    I do not believe guns offer any protection.

Get a dog, any sized dog.

I have driven a semi all over the country with my 3 year old daughter with me and never felt the need of a gun. I live now in the middle of nowhere and feel no need of a gun. I have lived in a city with the worst gang violence in the country and felt no need of a gun.

4. Lorax

Lorax Well-Known Member

I don't take offense in the slightest. Firearms are a huge responsibility & people sometimes make bad choices. I know & respect the sentiment, but guns are tools.

They are mainly used in fun/ hunting (which I am morally against) or to protect your self & others. Without guns, we revert to swords & bombs.

But, it's an opinion issue. There are people who misuse guns & ones who are extremely careful.

My opinion is it's a tool, like a saw or knife. We can't possibly stop all the criminals who already have them, but the second I hold any firearm, I put on the safety, remove the mag/ shells & double check the chamber. In my personal opinion, it's a matter of responsibility.

But, I don't deny you are right that guns will kill (if used) so be damn careful if you are near them. Thanks for your input, please be careful around any type of firearm :)

5. Lorax

Lorax Well-Known Member

I would call 911. That's not a gun safety issue, that's intent with a deadly weapon.

I contend that if you aren't able/ willing to take a life, guns offer you no protection. Not that I advocate homicide, but I would use any force to protect me or others. In trained hands (police/ CCW holders in USA) for instance, they can provide a deterrent or last line of defense.

Mind you, guns should only be used in last resorts. But, there are instances where non-lethal force can't help. PCP for instance, tazers & mace & wrestling are no use. It's either let them go berserk, or put a shot in. Or if you are the victim of an armed murderer.

Dogs can be poisoned or shot. They are best kept indoors, where they can safely alert you. A dog (a tiny one) stopped a burglary in my own home once, just by barking & the chain on our door.

I live in a rural area too haha. I never feel threatened going for 3am walks. I grew up in a pretty Hood place as a kid, and packed a knife. My consideration for re-arming is mainly entertainment & peace of mind.

I feel like I can trust my self & I have the option to have someone else watch it, if I don't feel 100% sure at any point.

Thanks for your input, and I'm glad you two are keeping safe. May I suggest a non lethal option? A $10 can of mace can usually stop a fist fight. Or tazers if you have lots of cash. As of now, I'm over 6' and can bulk my self up like a bear. That's my defense :)

6. Lorax

Lorax Well-Known Member

I really appreciate the feed back & understand both ends fairly well. One parent was a POW & hated guns, the other grew up hunting.

But, just for the sake of clarity, my question is more about how/if mental health issues should be factored into owning or buying a firearm. Or, if/ when it's related.

But any opinions on the matter are welcome. I'd love to get more insight into the thought process of anti-gun forum members. Or, the pro-gun crowd.

- I don't advocate owning/ operating a firearm if you are acutely suicidal/ homicidal. Please take the time to practice/ take a hunter safety & concealed permit class to avoid mistakes. Always check your local laws on possession & use-

7. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

I'm not sure where you live but in some states as far I know there's ban on owning a firearm if you were in a mental hospital the last 5 years or so depending on which state.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.