Define suicidal

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by JM18, Oct 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JM18

JM18 Active Member

I'm just wondering here, what makes a person suicidal?

Does he qualify when he thinks about killing himself about 3 - 4 times a day but is took chickenshit to do it, or does he actually have to give it a whirl... cutting, eating or jumping off something (etc.) to be really suicidal.

Then again, if you already give it a whirl, and you fail, then i guess that kinda means you really don't want to kill yourself, and subconciously you want to live, that's why you didn't go through with it.

So which is it?
    The person who's too chickenshit to kill himself (aka yet again subconciously thinks there's something more... hmm or perhaps just is afraid of something)
    Or the person who failed at doing so. (for the reason above)

Cause i'm guessing you can't call the person who successfully commited suicide suicidal... that person is just dead.

Come to think of it, then there really aren't suicidal people in the world... there are the ones that are dead... and the ones who have something really messed up then their life or in their heads and they can't find any help.

So, after this monologue-discussion... is a suicidal person then a person who really wont kill himself(herself), but instead a person who needs help sorting something out (cause otherwise he/she will just keep feeling crap for the rest of his/her life)?
  2. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

I think someone who is suicidal thinks about and considers suicide a lot... doesn't want to be alive anymore. They don't have to have attempted it.
  3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

It is a wanting to get out of the pain so much pain that taking ones life becomes an option this is when the brain is so clouded with distorted thoughts that they can't see any way else to end the pain.
  4. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

thinking that death is better then life and is a release from the pain you are in
  5. pither

pither Well-Known Member

Suicidal: Pertaining to suicide. the taking of ones own life. As in a suicidal gesture, suicidal thought, or suicidal act.

I would have to agree with this definition I think =/
  6. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Having thoughts of suicide is called suicide ideation..You have the thoughts on a regular basis but don't act on them..
  7. JM18

JM18 Active Member

Well i tried hanging once, but the damn rope broke, i hit my head and it hurt like a bastard.

I don't like pain so i don't want to drown, cut, poison or jump off any random crap. + i have no idea where the hell to get a gun... + ofcourse then there's the whole family situation... ( i don't mean i have to " rid of them " or smth, but i mean... they might be upset... to some level)
  8. TWF

TWF Well-Known Member

O/T since this seems relevant could somebody answer my question please.

I never attempt to kill myself but I don't mind if I die and on a bad day I won't avoid death. But I won't actually kill myself because I don't want my family to feel like they did anything wrong with me. My parents are excellent and passionate about my upbringing.

Does this make me suicidal?
  9. JM18

JM18 Active Member

I'm wondering the same... quite often i dream about being robbed in the middle of the night or being it a bank while it's robbed.

I'd be happy with every outcome, i either become a fucking hero for freaking out the robber so bad that he runs away or i manage to take him down... OR i get killed... win - win.
  10. sinnssykdom

sinnssykdom Banned Member

Correct me if i am wrong, but the way i understand it is:

Suicidal - Has thoughts and plans and so on but doesn't necessarily have to actually do it...

Suicidal Ideation - Just thoughts but no real plans to do go ahead

I think in the doctors eyes, if you have ideation then it's not as big as a concern as being suicidal with a plan. Or i geuss the better way of putting this they're probably not going to force you into a psych ward for just having the ideation but the suicidal thoughts with a plan..... maybe.

If that makes any sense. I don't know i usually just label anyone who has thoughts suicidal since like really they're basically the same.... I think the only thing that makes them different is whether or not you have a plan or have thought of ways to do it....

Like i said though i could have totally misunderstood this.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2009

ODIECOM Well-Known Member

suicidal means theres a damn good possibility that someone could attempt and be successful at killing themselves.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.