dementia

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by troubledprincess, Mar 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. troubledprincess

troubledprincess Well-Known Member

hi i was wondering if any one know much about dementia i have looked on webs sites but i really dont understand them i wanna know as much as i can about it as my nanny has it and i dont understand stuff and my head is so confussed anything on it woud be great
    thanks
    sarah

2. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Hiya, Sarah. I'm sorry to hear your grandma has dementia.

I googled dementia, and here is a short summary from a US government site:

Dementia is a word for a group of symptoms caused by disorders that affect the brain. It is not a specific disease. People with dementia may not be able to think well enough to do normal activities, such as getting dressed or eating. They may lose their ability to solve problems or control their emotions. Their personalities may change. They may become agitated or see things that are not there.

Memory loss is a common symptom of dementia. However, memory loss by itself does not mean you have dementia. People with dementia have serious problems with two or more brain functions, such as memory and language.

Many different diseases can cause dementia, including Alzheimer's disease and stroke. Drugs are available to treat some of these diseases. While these drugs cannot cure dementia or repair brain damage, they may improve symptoms or slow down the disease
    NIH: National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke

My Dad is quite elderly and has a bit of dementia. I know that can be hard for family and loved ones to see this happening. We find that asking Dad direct questions about how he is and what he's been doing help to focus his thinking a little. He also takes a medicine to help with his memory. Another thing, not mentioned in the blurb above, is that "dementia-like symptoms" can be caused by other diseases, including urinary tract infections in the elderly. Dad has such an infection, and he's more "confused" because of it. Apparently, getting rid of the infection will improve things. If not done already, perhaps your grandma could have her urine tested for an infection...?

I'll keep you and your grandma in my thoughts. :hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.